IP banning a whole country!?

Nero D. Ace

Okay, I get that a bunch of spambots can make life hard. We've got bots coming here all over from France, Russia, even Germany. But that doesn't mean that we ban the whole fricking country -

wtf.png

I don't even have an account on that site. I just randomly clicked a link and went on there as a "Guest"

"India spamming"???

What the f*** is that supposed to mean?

I have often considered banning all proxies via .htaccess and possibly banning russia completely.. but I haven't had any problems from India here. Heck several of our members are Indians.

Russia has pretty developped anime fan community, im surprised there are few russians here. Probably cause russians dont really look for english dubs.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought this was a pretty popular practice in north america? *cough veoh,hulu,joost,viz,funimation,animenetwork,any other random streaming site that has any credibility/cough* I've been Ip blocked(which hurts just as much as a ban) just for being born in another country lol, veoh even has the courtesy to say outright that my country was banned from the site.

Thought this was a pretty popular practice in north america? *cough veoh,hulu,joost,viz,funimation,animenetwork,any other random streaming site that has any credibility/cough* I've been Ip blocked(which hurts just as much as a ban) just for being born in another country lol, veoh even has the courtesy to say outright that my country was banned from the site.

Most of those sites are forced to due to copyright issues. They only licensed the show for certain countries and thus had to ban access from the ones they didn't.

Most of those sites are forced to due to copyright issues. They only licensed the show for certain countries and thus had to ban access from the ones they didn't.

Which is a terribly stupid practice in today's world. What kind of economics genius looked at the internet and said "Let's deliberatly segregate the market, service only one or two countries and, when people in non-serviced countries get our content illegally (because we refuse to sell to them), take them to court!"