Luffy far too weak?

frail213

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its good that the main character doesnt just power up like nothing. I enjoy anime where they dont go from weakest to strongest in days (see Claymore). It took Luffy years just to be able to use his rubber self to punch properly. But hes still up there for strongest character in the anime. So dont complain.

Hes not even in the top 10 strongest in the One Piece world.

That is not exactly true, lets look at luffy's gear 2nd & 3rd. How did he achieve it? By training, no way, just by the simple desire of wanting to protect his friend's.

The same goes for luffy's "Haoshoku Haki". He did not attain the power by any sort of training whatsoever, it was because his brother was about to be executed. Then again as I stated earlier, its just by the simple desire to protect those dear to him.

Gear 2: "I'm made of rubber, I have fully a elastic body that works like any elastomer. I can stretch out my limbs and even my bones. Can I make my arteries work in a similar fashion to increase profusion in my body?" <- how he achieved Gear 2 according to the author.

Gear three "My bones can pretty much act like rubber, so can they act like a natural gas container and then compress air?" <- Gear three.

The author pretty much implied he taught himself both techniques. Character basically says he learned it himself in each battle where he first used it. Is it surprising because he's seemingly stupid? Sure. But stupidity isn't a pre-requisite for curiosity. If you had some kind of telekinetic ability, wouldn't you be curious if you can separate mass at the atomic level? Even if you don't really know what "the atomic level" truly is?

Same idea. It's not like the character hasn't been shown to be too overly curious for his own good.

Yes, an ability to protect his friends was the catalyst, but his innate curiosity was the driving force.

>Haki

Meh it's one of those "Main character gets that super cool power because of nepotism/SPECIAL EVENT" kind of thing. He didn't get it at that point of the story. He always had the ability, even Blackbeard noticed it way back at Jaya. At least he had to learn to control it, and was shown being completely unable too for a long time. Which can't be said for many a characters given such an ability.

What do you want if he is "too weak," for him to have the ability to blow up the world? What would he do with that?

If you give a character an ability the character should have the motive and want to use it. Does it really look like Luffy would want some kind of overpowered ability of nowhere?

• 1 month later...
I think it's a nice approach compared to crap like Bleach where Ichigo just automatically becomes stronger with little to no training simply because he gains some new and unexplained power for no other reason than that someone appeared that was stronger than he was.

People don't just gain powers, they first much train for it and I appreciate the fact that One Piece doesn't cut corners and add shitty dues ex machina for plot. Just because he's the main character doesn't mean he should be the strongest in the universe without training. That's what they call character growth.

Thats a very unfair attack on bleach... cause onepiece is just the same. during the cp9 arc they met openents who are stronger than them and suddenly in a short inexplicable amount of time they got stronger and beat them... so ya they also 'cut corners' as you put it!! And mind you ichigo has always been training since the beginning, thats hows he always gets stronger. Atleast bleach they show us part of the training unlike one piece.

I think it's a nice approach compared to crap like Bleach where Ichigo just automatically becomes stronger with little to no training simply because he gains some new and unexplained power for no other reason than that someone appeared that was stronger than he was.

People don't just gain powers, they first much train for it and I appreciate the fact that One Piece doesn't cut corners and add shitty dues ex machina for plot. Just because he's the main character doesn't mean he should be the strongest in the universe without training. That's what they call character growth.

I agree with u.

Thats a very unfair attack on bleach... cause onepiece is just the same. during the cp9 arc they met openents who are stronger than them and suddenly in a short inexplicable amount of time they got stronger and beat them... so ya they also 'cut corners' as you put it!! And mind you ichigo has always been training since the beginning, thats hows he always gets stronger. Atleast bleach they show us part of the training unlike one piece.

@mtweeze,

Have u really watched that cp9 arc properly becoz i don't think u did.

For starters, there were no cutting corners at all. Through out the series have u noticed anything when luffy fights: there is difference when he fights normally i.e just as a mere fight and when he fights seriously and with a bit of an anger or for a strong reason.

Second thing, their opponents were not really that strong, their strength was around the same level.The only one among cp9 who can be called stronger was Lucci and by the way Luffy did not just powered up out of the blue to beat him, the only thing he did was learn to use his devil fruit ability to greater extent and that too by watching his opponents.

Nah I don't see a flaw of his progression in strength. He can only get to be able to do so much having eaten one devil fruit already. and coming up with new skills isn't a walk in the park it takes time and real thought.

on average since the start, Luffy has been one of the toughest characters if not the the strongest. He's met with each foe head on with little to no fear. I say after the time skip he will be regarded as a great pirate lord, since the series is only like half way from ever being done. and when he does become king of the pirates it wont matter how strong he was because then he is the strongest of them all.

EDIT: Its slow but Luffy is at a decent pace for getting stronger, I suppose the flaw is how slow it is.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...