Luffy far too weak?

frail213

Is it just me, or is luffy developing his strength far to slow as the main character? I mean its been 500 episodes! And hes only developed a few new strengths. Don't get me wrong I love one piece, but the way the main character is progressing throughout the story, is far too slow. Does anyone else agree?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the question. You've seen 500 episodes and you think Luffy is WEAK?

He's only been sailing the seas for maybe a year and he's already beaten up 2 Warlords of the Sea, a leopard assassin who started killing when he was 14 years old and a "God" in the sky.

Luffy doesn't get strong by training like Naruto or Ichigo. He gets stronger simply be his desire to protect his nakama which went well until of course the Sabaody Arc where the crew realized how truly weak they were in front of people from the New World.

That's why at the end of the Whitebeard War, Rayleigh takes Luffy in and the crew goes on a 2 year mission to train and become strong enough to survive in the New World.

I don't get the question. You've seen 500 episodes and you think Luffy is WEAK?

He's only been sailing the seas for maybe a year and he's already beaten up 2 Warlords of the Sea, a leopard assassin who started killing when he was 14 years old and a "God" in the sky.

Luffy doesn't get strong by training like Naruto or Ichigo. He gets stronger simply be his desire to protect his nakama which went well until of course the Sabaody Arc where the crew realized how truly weak they were in front of people from the New World.

That's why at the end of the Whitebeard War, Rayleigh takes Luffy in and the crew goes on a 2 year mission to train and become strong enough to survive in the New World.

Yeah, but it just makes it feel far to slow paced considering that the anime has been running for over 10 year's.

I think it's a nice approach compared to crap like Bleach where Ichigo just automatically becomes stronger with little to no training simply because he gains some new and unexplained power for no other reason than that someone appeared that was stronger than he was.

People don't just gain powers, they first much train for it and I appreciate the fact that One Piece doesn't cut corners and add shitty dues ex machina for plot. Just because he's the main character doesn't mean he should be the strongest in the universe without training. That's what they call character growth.

I would like to say you both are making valid points, its good to hear Luffy and co have been taken for training. As Luffy and co do not train enough, except Zoro.

Luffy is weak compared to the recent bunch enemies but it was refreshing to see he didnt suddenly master the haki and destroy all before him. But if he really wants to protect his nakama he should train a bit more.

As for the rest of the crew (excl Zoro, Sanji and maybe Franky) need to find some hidden power or something because they are sooooooooo weak its hard to watch their fights.

I think it's a nice approach compared to crap like Bleach where Ichigo just automatically becomes stronger with little to no training simply because he gains some new and unexplained power for no other reason than that someone appeared that was stronger than he was.

People don't just gain powers, they first much train for it and I appreciate the fact that One Piece doesn't cut corners and add shitty dues ex machina for plot. Just because he's the main character doesn't mean he should be the strongest in the universe without training. That's what they call character growth.

"I think it's a nice approach compared to crap like Bleach where Ichigo just automatically becomes stronger with little to no training simply because he gains some new and unexplained power"

That is not exactly true, lets look at luffy's gear 2nd & 3rd. How did he achieve it? By training, no way, just by the simple desire of wanting to protect his friend's.

The same goes for luffy's "Haoshoku Haki". He did not attain the power by any sort of training whatsoever, it was because his brother was about to be executed. Then again as I stated earlier, its just by the simple desire to protect those dear to him.

So don't go bashing on Bleach or Naruto, yes the stories are different but they are the same in the form that the main character's gain their new powers through wanting to protect those who are dear to them.

Wanting to protect his nakama is a long better a reason than Ichigo's wanting nothing more than instant power up to defeat a new enemy for no other reason then to beat him because he is stronger.

Bleach is nothing more than 'every new arc there is a new more powerful enemy thus Ichigo must miraculously gain SSJ3 powers, then next arc SSJ4 powers. At least in One Piece not every new enemy is stronger than the last enemy, and Luffy doesn't have to get some out of this world unexplained boost in power to defeat the new enemy.

As for what you are talking about with the Gears. Those aren't really unexplained power-ups like Ichigo. Luffy in a sense always had the ability to do that he just didn't know about them or how to activate them. In his desire to protect his friends he awakens the ability. It is hinted that he is in some way connected to the great Roger as to how he got where he is.

While Ichigo nothing has really been explained and every new arc creates more plot holes. His father hasn't ever been explained so we don't really know how Ichigo got his strength. One moment he's stronger than the captains, the next the captains get an unexplained boost in power to defeat their enemy that appeared and was instantly stronger. Then Ichigo gets beat, and suddenly gains extreme power and beats his opponent. Then another stronger opponent shows up so he instantly has another power up and beats that opponent. All unexplained. He certainly doesn't have saiyan blood but he certainly power ups just like one.

Also where do you get off putting words into my mouth? I don't recall ever mentioning Naruto.

Wanting to protect his nakama is a long better a reason than Ichigo's wanting nothing more than instant power up to defeat a new enemy for no other reason then to beat him because he is stronger.

Bleach is nothing more than 'every new arc there is a new more powerful enemy thus Ichigo must miraculously gain SSJ3 powers, then next arc SSJ4 powers. At least in One Piece not every new enemy is stronger than the last enemy, and Luffy doesn't have to get some out of this world unexplained boost in power to defeat the new enemy.

Ichigo fights in order to protect his family & friends. If you re-watch the series from the beginning you'll notice that his family almost gets killed,and his friends are attacked by hollow's. He doesn't fight because he wants to he fights because he has to, If he does not fight then sooner or later his family and friends will be in danger.

You might want to go back and watch some of the past several fights he had before it went into fillers at 310. Ichigo specifically stated in rebute to Aizens statement that he had no reason to fight Aizen except to fight someone stronger.

"At least in One Piece not every new enemy is stronger than the last enemy"
That is a lie, most of the enemies he has fought have been more stronger than the one before or else he wouldn't of needed his new powers.

Keywords in my quote. NOT EVERY

Keyword in your post. MOST

So you agreed with me, but failed to realize it.

• 2 weeks later...

While Ichigo nothing has really been explained and every new arc creates more plot holes. His father hasn't ever been explained so we don't really know how Ichigo got his strength. One moment he's stronger than the captains, the next the captains get an unexplained boost in power to defeat their enemy that appeared and was instantly stronger. Then Ichigo gets beat, and suddenly gains extreme power and beats his opponent. Then another stronger opponent shows up so he instantly has another power up and beats that opponent. All unexplained. He certainly doesn't have saiyan blood but he certainly power ups just like one.

I have the similar opinion when it comes to Bleach. Ichigo's growth has been shown like a graph having up's and down's regularly.:baffle:

Sometimes he is shown too weak like, when he comes into contact with Yammy & Ulquiorra & gets beaten by Yammy in the human world and also during few of those battles he had with the bounts and Ichinose. Also the difference in power shown between Ichigo and Kenpachi during their second encounter with Yammy in the Hueco Mundo is a bit much.

To put it more simply it's like he gains power in one fight and loses it by the time he fights another battle.

In One Piece however, not just Luffy but everyone else's too has been shown with steady growth. Their progress might be slow but at least they are not shown weaker than what they were in their last fight.

• 3 weeks later...

Hahaha, now I heard them all! Luffy weak? Where did that come from ? Have you watched all episodes? But hey, I guess you aren't too impressed when you hear that a 17 year teenager kills a "God" on a floating island, deffies the entire world at Ennies Loby, breaks out of the greatest prison Impel Down, survives the attack of the Shikibukais and has a bounty on him which is over 300.000 B. Am I right?

• 2 months later...
Is it just me, or is luffy developing his strength far to slow as the main character? I mean its been 500 episodes! And hes only developed a few new strengths. Don't get me wrong I love one piece, but the way the main character is progressing throughout the story, is far too slow. Does anyone else agree?

what more can you expect? he's a paramecia type not a logia type.. he is definitely weak against logia type-users..

*Spoilers*

Luffy is far from weak. The only issue I have that pertains to Luffy is his bounty, it's only 400,000,000??? He gained a 200,000,000 increase immediately during the Enies Lobby incident so I was expecting that breaking into Impel Down, breaking out of Impel Down, gathering a group of pirates from Impel Down escaping with him, then going to fight during the War and escaping their clutches AGAIN only raises his bounty 100,000,000??? Nah, something's not right with that picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Luffy is not weak, there are just other guys that are stronger. I kinda like that he's not the strongest right of the bat, and that he actually has to earn his strength (instead of these special time hole two week training things, yes I know that description is broad and relatively inaccurate but I think you get my point). Not that there is a problem with that but the fact that Luffy & crew actually took two years out of their journey, that they are actually two years older, is refreshing.