250g uncooked spaghetti (8 ounces)

1/2 tablespoon olive oil

125 pound pancetta or bacon, diced

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 egg yolks

1/2 cup grated Parmesam cheese

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Cook the spaghetti in a pan of lightly salted, boiling water until al dente.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the pancetta for three to four minutes until browned.

In a bowl, whisk together the cream, egg yolks, Parmesan, and salt and pepper.

Once cooked, drain the pasta and return to the saucepan. Immediately stir in the egg and cheese mixture until well combined. Add the pancetta, toss with the sauce and heat through gently (if you have the heat too high the eggs will scramble). You can thin the sauce with a little extra cream if necessary.

Serve straightaway with some freshly grated Parmesan.

Quick Alfredo

3/4 cup vegetable stock or reduced-salt chicken stock

Garlic to taste

125g Pasta

2 teaspoons cornflour , mixed with 1 tablespoon water

2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper , or to taste

3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese , divided

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Recipe Directions

Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Combine stock and garlic in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.

After the garlic has simmered about 10 minutes, cook pasta in the boiling water, stirring often, for 8 minutes.

Meanwhile add cornflour mixture to stock and garlic; whisk it until slightly thickened, about 15 seconds. Remove from the heat and whisk in sour cream, nutmeg and pepper. Return the pot to very low heat to keep the sauce warm. (Do not boil.)

Drain the pasta and place in a large bowl. Add the sauce and 1/2 cup Parmesan; toss to coat well. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately, passing the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan separately.

the carbonara recipe you have there is basically the same as how I do mine, but I prefer three egg yolks. Another way to thicken the sauce is using equal parts creme fraiche and heavy cream. In my recipe as well I like to mix in serrano ham bits to add a bit more taste.

I like the look of that alfredo, I'll have to try it sometimes. Must post some of my recipes as well at some point.

Haha, they look fine, zx0! I'm a big fan of salmon vice tuna, but you usually can't go wrong with a good fish patty! (I also totally dig your plate.) Since they aren't charred totally black, I think you suck far less at cooking than you think.

There is a reason I only photographed one patty! One broke in half when I tried to flip it in the pan, one ended up getting stuck to the pan (needed more oil I guess). They tasted great anyway :ewhz:

There is a reason I only photographed one patty! One broke in half when I tried to flip it in the pan, one ended up getting stuck to the pan (needed more oil I guess). They tasted great anyway :ewhz:

you know I had this idea, you know those flavoured tunas you can get? Lemon and cracked pepper, smoked, tomato etc. It'd be a great idea to use those instead of seasoning!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

these are surprisingly yummy, i buggered up the shape so it made them hard to turn. for the mash, it needs to be as dry as possible so no extra milk or water or whatever you use to make the mash smooth

Potato Croquettes

2 large spuds, mashed

1/2 cup rice

1 red onion, finely chopped

Garlic

Parsley

Sesame Seeds

cook the rice, and mix in with mashed potato

Mix onion, garlic and parsley to taste

shape the mixture into croquettes or mini logs and roll in sesame seeds

shallow fry each croquette on all sides until golden brown all over

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I thought I'd post my simple pancake recipe. This literally takes around five minutes to make and is damn cheap too. Not to mention you get quite a lot of pancakes out of it, so here goes...

Pancakes

Ingredients:

2-ish cups self raising flour

1 cup milk

3 tbsp sugar (white)

1 tsp salt

2 large eggs

Optional:

There are many things you can do with this recipe. For instance, I like added a tbsp of rose syrup to give the pancakes a nice aromatic hint and help smooth the batter. You can also add things to the pancakes as I'll explain in the method.

Utensils:

One large mixing bowl

Sieve

Ladle

Whisk (you can use whatever to mix, but a whisk helps gauge consistency)

And finally a spatula for flipping!

Method:

Step 1: Crack the eggs and pour the milk into the mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly mixed. Place aside.

Step 2: Take 1 cup of flour and sieve it into the egg mixture evenly.

Step 3: Put the salt and sugar into the sieve and repeat step 2.

Step 4: Whisk the mixture until it has a smooth even consistency. A good trick for judging this with your whisk/fork is it should offer a little resistance with whisking fast, but not so much when done slow. It should also run off the whisk easy but get stuck in the centre part where the wires meet.*This is where I also like to add rose syrup or some melted butter to fix it a little, but this is all up to personal preference.*

It should look something like that.

390497_10151028221571175_464713373_n_zps61fb78fe.jpg

Step 5: Take a non stick or iron pan and pre heat on a low/medium heat. A good test is using a fork drip a small amount and see if it sticks.

Step 6: Ladle in an amount of the mixture and let it spread out. Allow this to begin cooking and gently loosen the edge for ease in flipping. *Note; this is where you can add things to your pancakes. For instance I like adding room temperature blueberries or even cooked sausage chunks. Its important to and it before the next step otherwise it won't go into the pancakes themselves.*

Step 7: When bubbles start to form around the edge then you are ready to flip it! I don't do anything flashy, just unstick the pancake with your spatula and flip quickly. Some mixture will probably slide out, so just push it in towards the edge.

Note the bubbles starting to form

251108_10151028221626175_83488989_n_zpsce8a8056.jpg

Step 8: Once you've flipped it press it a little to make sure it cooks quickly and remove it! Garnish with what you want and eat it! You should get about 8 to 10 pancakes out of this recipe.

Here is some pictures of what the perfect pancake is...mmmm

403992_10151028221676175_730829253_n_zps029ac9b0.jpg

316851_10151028221716175_1171240228_n_zps675de93c.jpg

377322_10151028221781175_1481771378_n_zps93b78e86.jpg

and lastly, heres a stack with honey....mmmmmmmmmm

75114_10151028221921175_543056607_n_zps238a2b19.jpg

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

Kametsu chefs, help me make a thing.

I'm gonna make this for Christmas. I'm going to start the process on Christmas Eve and then finish it on Christmas to bring to a friend's place that night, so the cookie dough and mousse will be in the freezer overnight.

I can do everything okay for the bombe except make mousse because I've never made it before and it seems kind of temperamental??

Like I know you're supposed to add a little bit of the whipped cream at a time so all the air doesn't vanish all at once while you're mixing it with the chocolate. And I know about putting my mixing bowl and mixer blades in the freezer for a bit so it's cold, but is there anything else I need to know so I don't completely ruin this thing? Also do the ingredients they list sound okay--I've been looking at different chocolate mousse recipes and they all say different things. I still need to find unflavoured gelatin somewhere; I'm hoping Weis has it otherwise I might have to exclude it entirely.

I only have a hand mixer, no fancy stand mixers, if that makes a difference for anyone.

• 4 months later...

Creamy Thai chicken

Ingredients:

• 2 chicken breast cut into strips
  • 100 mL chicken stock
  • 1 tablespoon Curry paste (or to taste)
  • 175 ml Coconut Milk
  • 2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
  • 1 Teaspoon Lime Juice
  • 2 Teaspoons Palm Sugar

Method:

1. Cook chicken until golden brown
  2. Add paste and stir as to not burn it and coat chicken
  3. Add coconut milk and stock and bring to the boil
  4. Simmer on a low heat and add fish Sauce, Lime Juice and Sugar
  5. Stir until thickened and serve

Shazi Recommends:

• Serves with Rice or Noodles
  • Also add your favourite mixed vegetables to give it some more volume and variety

Cookie cups filled with chocolate mousse

Cookie Base

(halved from original recipe because it makes [as i quickly discovered] a f*ck ton of cookies)
3/4 cups butter, softened
1 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 180°C

Cream butter and sugar together
beat in eggs one at a time with vanilla
Gradually add flour until a dough is formed.

Grease a muffin tray
Roll out cookie dough to roughly 0.5cm thick and using a circle cutter (roughly 10% bigger than the muffin tray) cut out cookies
Mould cookies into cups in the muffin tray and bake for 10 minutes, or until starting to brown.
Set aside to cool (or put in fridge) while you make the chocolate mousse!

Chocolate mousse
(please not that when I made this, it was VERY improvised)
300-375g dark cooking chocolate
4 egg whites
1/4 cup caster sugar
300ml whipped cream

Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering water
Turn the head on the chocolate down and beat egg whites to soft peaks
Give the chocolate a moment off the heat to cool (but not set)
Carefully fold the chocolate into the egg whites
Fold in whipped cream and fill cookie cups with mousse
Refrigerate for 1 hour (or overnight for a party)

Edited by Shazi
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This one i got from my mum, and GOD is is good

French Onion Potato bake

trans.gif

Ingredients:

• Poatoes (depends on size and how many you're feeding, best to go with 4-5)
  • 300ml Thickened Cream
  • 1 packet of French Onion Soup
  • Grated Cheese to top

Method:

1. Peel and Chop up spuds to prefered size for a potato bake
  2. Boil potatoes until they are half cooked, drain and lay in a baking dish
  3. Mix Cream and French Onion Soup Mix and pour over potatoes
  4. Top with cheese and bake at 180°C for 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked all the way through

Shazi Recommends:

• Serve with Chicken or  a good cut of Steak
  • Makes a Great leftovers lunch (if there is any left)
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since there has been a distinct lack of recipes going on here thought I should share some more!

Let me see what I have in my recipe collection... AHA!

Curry Rice!

Ingredients:

• 2 cups rice
  • Curry powder
  • Onion salt
  • Season all (all purpose seasoning, whichever they both word)
  • Parsley
  • Mayonnaise

Boil rice

• In a large fry pan or wok add the rice add the curry powder to taste (2 teaspoons to start and add more if desired)
  • sprinkle onion salt, season all and parsley and stir through (only a small amount otherwise it will overpower the rice)
  • drizzle a little mayonnaise and stir through
  • best served chilled
Personally I replace the mayo with sour cream and the parsley with chives, but I have a mild allergy to eggs. Edited by Shazi