Kametsu Cookbook

Pinkie Pie

Post your favorite recipes here. They can be time tested favorites or new discoveries. I think this thread will be a wonderful way to find out more about each other through food. This first post will be edited to include all of the recipes posted, organized by relation to other recipes.

I'll go first.

Apocalypse Not Microwave Cake:

3 tablespoons butter, softened

3/4 cup white sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

1 pinch salt

Directions

Spray a medium microwave-safe bowl with non-stick spray and set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and milk; blend together. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; blend into the mixture until smooth. Pour into greased bowl.

Cover and cook in the microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched. Since all microwaves cook differently, time may need to be added. To serve, let the cake cool five minutes, then cover the bowl with a plate and turn both bowl and plate upside down so the cake falls onto the plate.

• 5 months later...

Since I am allergic to tomato (and peanut and just about everything else thats found naturally) I've started devising ways to eat those everyday tomato based foods, without having to add any tomato to it! here I will post tomato free recipes as well as others I have to share with everyone!

Lets start with an old favourite

Lasagne

1kg of beef mince (or 2lbs)

1 jar of premade Carbonara sauce (or Alfredo and add bacon)

6 large potatos (or 10 small ones)

Lasagne sheets

Favourite cheese for topping

2 packets of Mexican Seasoning (taco or burrito)

1 carrot grated

1 zucchini grated

Prepare potatoes for boiling (ie peel and put in pot of water)

when potatos are boiling, brown mince in a fry pan with zucchini and carrot

add seasoning to mince and add enough water to make a thick sauce and

leave to simmer

mash potatoes (DO NOT ADD BUTTER AND MILK OR CREAM) with carbonara sauce and set aside

for wet lasagna sheets

begin layering in order: mince, potato, lasagna sheets and top with cheese

bake in oven until top is golden brown

for dry lasagna sheets

Layer in order mince potato lasagna sheets and leave enough potato to cover the top layer of sheets and bake for 15 minutes

add layer of cheese on top and bake until golden brown

i have a few to add here so i'll just keep going

Fried Rice

Makes a lot so be sure you only make as much as you need

2 cups of jasmine or white rice

2 bacon rashers (diced)

2 eggs

1 onion (finely diced)

season all (all purpose spice)

soy sauce

parsley

Boil rice, drain and set aside

Whisk the two eggs and set aside

in a large fry pan or wok fry bacon and onion together

shift the bacon and onion to the side and scramble the egg in the same pan/wok

add rice and stir bacon, egg and onion through

begin adding season all and parsley for flavour, the amount is entirely up to you, and stir

add soy sauce and stir some more

OPTIONAL

just before adding the seasonings to the rice, add half a cup of peas and corn (if frozen chuck in microwave for a 50 seconds with some water)

Curry Rice

2 cups rice

Curry powder

Onion salt

Season all

Parsley

Mayonnaise

Boil rice

In a large fry pan or wok add the rice

add the curry powder to taste (2 teaspoons to start and add more if desired)

sprinkle onion salt, season all and parsley and stir through (only a small amount otherwise it will over power the rice)

drizzle a little mayonnaise and stir through

best served chilled

Cheese and Bacon Scones

3 rashers bacon, rind removed, finely chopped

3 cups self-raising flour

80g butter, cubed

100g tasty cheese, finely grated

1 to 1 1/4 cups milk

plain flour, for dusting

butter, extra, to serve

Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a flat baking tray with baking paper

Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Cool completely.

Sift flour into a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add bacon and cheese. Mix well.

Make a well in centre of mixture. Add 1 cup milk. Mix with a flat-bladed knife until mixture forms a soft dough, adding more milk if required. Turn dough onto a lightly floured chopping board

Knead dough gently until smooth (take care not to knead too much).

Pat dough until 2.5cm thick. Using a 5cm cutter, press gently and cut 16 rounds from dough. Place 1cm apart on baking paper. Sprinkle tops of scones with flour. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and well risen. Serve scones hot with butter.

Home made Sausage rolls!

Puff pastry

Sausage mince

Onion/s (one per pack of sausage mince)

Egg/s (one per pack of sausage mince)

¼ cup of milk

Season all

Optional:

Grated carrot

Grated Cheese

Preperation:

Preheat oven to 180°c (356f)

Cut each sheet of puff pastry in half.

Mix diced onions, sausage mince, and one egg (with any optional ingredients you want) in a bowl. Spread out evenly over half of a halved sheet.

With your finger wipe a bit of milk over the edge (the one free of the sausage mince) and fold over. With your fingers again wipe some milk over the top and sprinkle the season all.

Continue until you have as many as you want/ all the mince is gone

Place on a flat try and cook in the oven for 1 and a half hours (check occasionally, the top should be a nice golden brown when it is ready)

You can cut the serve as desired.

Talena's Note: I find it easier to mix the sausage mince with my hands and not a spoon or whatever.

I put it here so you remember where it is ^.^

Here's one to try. You can add, leave out or change the items. So here's the recipe the way I make it.

INSIDE OUT BURGERS

1kg ground beef

1 red onion

2 cloves of garlic

Handful of fresh parsley

1 tsp./5ml salt

1 tsp./5ml black pepper

2 tbsp./30ml dijon mustard

Chunk of cheddar cheese

Large bun

1 fresh tomato

Crisp lettuce leaves

Mayonnaise

Preheat the oven to 400F/200C

Peel the onion and garlic and grate it to a pulp.

Wash and finely chop parsley

Cut the cheese into thumb-size chunks.

Combine the ground beef, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, parsley and mustard, be sure to mix it well.

Form into 4 heaps of meat and mold into burger shapes.

Poke a hole into the center and stuff in the cheese.

Squeeze over the top to seal the cheese in.

Fry the burgers in a hot pan to get a good brown colour on both sides then transfer the pan to the oven (MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT HAVE A PLASTIC HANDLE).

Cook in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until the burger is cooked right through and the cheese has melted.

Prepare the toppings. Slice the bun and lightly toast.

Smear the bun with mayonnaise, stack up the toppings on the burger. Put on the top of the bun. It maybe necessary to use a skewer to hold it together.

SERVES 4

A little warning to anyone who makes them. They are like mini meat loaves. ENJOY!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Chile Lime Chicken

Difficulty: Easy!

Ingredients

Boneless chicken (we usually use tenderloin)

Garlic (chopped/minced--we have a giant jar of minced garlic)

Jalapenos (sliced)

Onion (chopped)

Marinade

1:1 ratio of olive oil to lime juice (I usually do about 1/2 cup each)

1 tbsp of the following:

Paprika

Cumin

Chile powder

Cayenne

Black pepper

Salt

Couple dashes of hot sauce

======

Assemble the marinade ingredients inside of a plastic zipper bag with the chicken. Put it on a plate in the fridge for however long you have--we usually try to do at least six hours.

Once you're ready to start cooking, heat up a frying pan on the stovetop with just a touch of oil. Heat up your onions, then your jalapenos, and finally your garlic. Amounts vary depending on your taste--we like a lot of garlic and jalapenos in our food.

When your vegetables have been cooking for a few minutes, get your chicken in the pan. Java sometimes adds some of the excess marinade into the pan--this is optional. Throw out the rest of the marinade, whether you add it to the pan or not. Never reuse marinade!

Cook until done--no pink in the chicken! I don't actually know how to tell chicken is done without chopping it up, but it makes dividing the chicken between the two of us easier.

Moroccan Rice Pilaf

Difficulty: Easy!

Ingredients

1 tsp unsalted butter

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp cayenne

1 cup white basmati rice

1.5 cups water/vegetable stock

1/4 cup sliced almonds

1/4 cup raisins

ground black pepper to taste

======

We like to make this in conjunction with the chicken I posted earlier! The raisins provide enough sweetness to balance out the spice in the chicken.

To start, preheat your oven to 350F. Get yourself an ovenproof pot. This is vital. I will wait.

Now, on your stovetop, heat up the butter in that pot on low to medium heat. Get your onions in there and stir, allowing it to cook until they lose some of the opaqueness. Don't let it brown!

Then add your rice, cumin, cayenne, and paprika. Stir it all up, making sure everything is mixed well. Cook for another few minutes (no more than four or five), then add your stock/water and raisins. (We prefer to use stock.) Bring it up to a boil on high heat, then cover the pot and transfer it to the oven.

It'll be about 15-20 minutes before your rice is ready, but feel free to check up on it and make sure you aren't burning the poor thing! When it's ready, fluff it up and add your almonds. Add pepper if you think it needs it (Java never thinks it does).

Pork, noodle and miso soup

Difficulty: super Easy!

Ingredients

pork (cut for stir fry)

super noodles

miso soup paste

soy sauce

mirin rice wine

Ok this is fast and easy my version of ramen.

Ok fist pre heat frying pan at about gas mark 4 then add your stirfry cut pork ( you can buy pork pre cut or buy a pork shoulder and cut it into stirfry strips)

Then pour some mirin rice wine over your pork ( enouth so that the pork wont stick to the pan and also make a nice sauce. I ussally have about 3-4mm deep in frying pan with about 340g of pork in too. don't worry about being precise you can always add more if you need it) also add some soy sauce ( again dosen't need to be precise about 4 or 5 table spoon will be fine).

keep stiring the pork so that its nice and evenly cooked. after about 10-15 min it should be about ready the rice wine and soy sauce should be alot thicker now too giving you a nice dark sauce.

Ok so the super noodles you make as the pack says ( you can also use other noodle I just like super ones best) but add about 2 table spoons of soy sauce too.

Ok so for the miso soup paste just add 1 sachet per bowl add some boiling water and stir (again up to you how watery you want it, best put just add a little untill you add your noodles than if you want more water add it then)

Now add your noodles then pork on top

If you dont like miso soup you can also just have the noodles and pork...

enjoy

• 3 weeks later...

Layered Cookie Bars

Difficulty: Easy-Moderate, depends on how comfortable you are with making cookie dough from scratch

======

FIRST LAYER: Sugar Cookie

Ingredients

1 roll of sugar cookie dough (I used Pillsbury--any comparable dough will do, though)

Get a 9x13 baking dish and line it with foil. Spray it up with some cooking spray if you've got some, but if you forgo it, I won't tell anyone. (I almost always do.) Press the cookie dough into the bottom of the pan.

======

SECOND LAYER: Double Chocolate Chip

Ingredients

1 cup butter

1 cup white sugar

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1 3/4 cups flour

1 1/4 cups cocoa powder

2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

This recipe makes double, so do what you want with the extra dough ASIDE FROM EATING IT RAW. Make cookies or something with it.

In one bowl, cream the butter and sugars together until there's no more butter lumps lying around. Add your eggs one by one and vanilla to the mixture. Mix until well combined.

In a different bowl, get your dry ingredients together--the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt--and mix. Then slowly add this mixture to your wet ingredients. It will take some doing, but doing it slowly is important if you are using an electric mixture. Flour tends to get everywhere if you aren't careful.

Once that's mixed, add your chocolate chips. Layer half over the sugar cookie layer, and try not to press too hard or else you will press right through your layers.

======

THIRD LAYER: Peanut Butter

Ingredients

1 cup creamy peanut butter

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 egg

I've forgone this layer when making two batches of these bars (a friend specifically requested a batch without peanut butter), so this layer can be excluded (possibly substituted?) without any issue.

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Once that's mixed, layer it over the double chocolate chip cookie layer.

======

FOURTH LAYER: Chocolate Chip

Ingredients

2 sticks softened butter

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tbsp vanilla

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 bag chocolate chips

At this point, you'll want to make sure your oven is preheated to 350F. This recipe also makes double what you need. The steps for this is the same as how you made the double chocolate chip cookie layer with slightly different ingredients.

Mix your sugars and butter together, then add your eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt together. Add your dry ingredients to the wet ones, leaving the chocolate chips for last.

Instead of pressing the chocolate chip cookie dough onto the peanut butter layer, you're just going to make little cookie dough balls atop everything. Don't make them too big!

Stick them in the oven for about 35-45 minutes--long enough for the center of the dough to be mostly cooked. LET THE COOKIES COOL COMPLETELY. This is a totally important step I sometimes skip because I am rebellious like that.

Once the cookies are cooled, you can slice it up (the edges will likely be kind of crisp and brown, but they are totally edible and delicious) and serve. The cookies will be crumbly and messy. Best enjoyed with a glass of milk or other beverage. (These cookies make people thirsty.)

i haven't tried these ones myself but i certainly plan to

Quick Carbonara

250g uncooked spaghetti (8 ounces)

1/2 tablespoon olive oil

125 pound pancetta or bacon, diced

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 egg yolks

1/2 cup grated Parmesam cheese

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Cook the spaghetti in a pan of lightly salted, boiling water until al dente.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the pancetta for three to four minutes until browned.

In a bowl, whisk together the cream, egg yolks, Parmesan, and salt and pepper.

Once cooked, drain the pasta and return to the saucepan. Immediately stir in the egg and cheese mixture until well combined. Add the pancetta, toss with the sauce and heat through gently (if you have the heat too high the eggs will scramble). You can thin the sauce with a little extra cream if necessary.

Serve straightaway with some freshly grated Parmesan.

Quick Alfredo

3/4 cup vegetable stock or reduced-salt chicken stock

Garlic to taste

125g Pasta

2 teaspoons cornflour , mixed with 1 tablespoon water

2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper , or to taste

3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese , divided

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Recipe Directions

Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Combine stock and garlic in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.

After the garlic has simmered about 10 minutes, cook pasta in the boiling water, stirring often, for 8 minutes.

Meanwhile add cornflour mixture to stock and garlic; whisk it until slightly thickened, about 15 seconds. Remove from the heat and whisk in sour cream, nutmeg and pepper. Return the pot to very low heat to keep the sauce warm. (Do not boil.)

Drain the pasta and place in a large bowl. Add the sauce and 1/2 cup Parmesan; toss to coat well. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately, passing the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan separately.