What is the most over-rated anime?

RazorDan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im the same razor...naruto just grates on me...

But to me the most over rated animes were death note and code geass...

Now dont get me wrong death notes manga was good, and code geass was an interesting watch (after all if was cause of geass that i started watching other mecha series other than macross and gundam) but they both were completely overhyped.

One piece is up there with the tedious crowd as is bleach but again i dont see why they are so popular!?

Probably Bleach, sure the first 63 episodes deserves it's hype/praise but after that it has to be the most filler infested pile of trash ever. Even the non-filler is pretty bad after the first 63 episodes.

Another one is Pokemon which is so damn over-rated that the shit keeps getting more and more series and just will not end.

hitman weborn

How could Hitman Reborn possibly be overrated? It wasn't even popular enough to receive a dub and most people who started it didn't make it past the first 20 episodes. Once it got going though it was a great series when it wasn't trying to be retarded or funny. If anything the show was really underrated not overrated. Also you shouldn't just spam a name of a series you should add to it. Posting like that just seems like you are spamming, and we completely hate spammers in this community. Doing that is normally terms for a ban.

Elfen Lied. 99% of the fan base calls it a master piece and most of the scores I see it get are 9/10 and 10/10. I personally thought it was horrible from a story telling stand point. It had bad character development, bad plot, mediocre art, and it pandered to the fans more than any show I've ever watched. The show itself is really just one giant ball of fetishes. It's one redeeming factor to me was the animation and action which was top notch. But the drama, or melodrama to be specific was laughable and forced to me.

P.S.: How about we make this thread hard. No one mention any of the big 3 (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece). If popularity and not reputation determines what is overrated then these stand no chance.

You really thing One Piece is OVER-rated?

If anything, it's UNDER-rated, especially outside Japan. Inside Japan, it's doing good but it's way UNDER-rated outside of it.

If we base it on popularity then it's absolutely overrated. It's asinine to think any of the big 3 as being underrated. It's simply not possible. It's like saying Justin Bieber is underrated as a singer. It just makes no sense. Now overrated does not mean bad, so you don't have to get offended. I understand you're a big fan given your avatar, so lets try and set aside the biases.

If we base it on popularity then it's absolutely overrated. It's asinine to think any of the big 3 as being underrated. It's simply not possible. It's like saying Justin Bieber is underrated as a singer. It just makes no sense. Now overrated does not mean bad, so you don't have to get offended. I understand you're a big fan given your avatar, so lets try and set aside the biases.

You do realise that the only reason it's in this so called "BIG THREE" is only because it has a lot of episodes, exceeding those of Dragon Ball and DBZ combined.

So, in essence, all you're saying is that an anime is over-rated because it has TOO MANY episodes?

I don't mind having a debate over this but a sensible debate would be nice.

I don't have any biases for it. If an anime is good, it deserves to be known better. That is clearly not the case with One Piece since if you check the OP sub-forum, it has VERY less threads compared to the Naruto and Bleach ones, which actually ARE over-rated.

You do realise that the only reason it's in this so called "BIG THREE" is only because it has a lot of episodes, exceeding those of Dragon Ball and DBZ combined.

So, in essence, all you're saying is that an anime is over-rated because it has TOO MANY episodes?

I don't mind having a debate over this but a sensible debate would be nice.

I don't have any biases for it. If an anime is good, it deserves to be known better. That is clearly not the case with One Piece since if you check the OP sub-forum, it has VERY less threads compared to the Naruto and Bleach ones, which actually ARE over-rated.

No that is not the only reason. Think a little deeper man. Why would the show get so many episodes if there were not a crap ton of fans it? You're acting there is a massive shortage of people supporting the show which is false. I realize it's not on the same level of popularity as Naruto and Bleach, but it's still mega popular. I mean come on man my favorite show is NGE but even I'm willing to admit it's overrated. It's all about the hype and popularity. All of the big 3 get hyped up too much. I'm willing to say it might not be overrated or might only be a little overrated. But it's by no means underrated. It's following is just fine.

Edit: Also the mere fact the show has it's own sub-forum proves my point alone.

Bleach and Naruto are easy to pick on, mostly because this seems to be the only anime non-anime fans know about, but for me, I was much disappointed with Neon Genesis Evangelion. Seems like a good chunk of the anime fandom loves that show to death, and while I hold out some hope for the reboot movies, the series tended to either be boring or annoying, mostly because such a good chunk of that show was about a couple of kids whining. Oh yeah, and there's that whole pedophilia aspect to it, and the incestuous aspect to it.

I'm willing to say it might not be overrated or might only be a little overrated. But it's by no means underrated.

You do realise that there is a place in between UNDER and OVER rated in which exist the anime that have exactly what they deserve.

One Piece is a series that does no disappoint the viewer. You actually have to STOP yourself fro watching all 36 episodes or so in one day, while in Bleach or Naruto, i've known people to skip whole arcs just because they're pure filler.

I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with either of you, but if One Piece is so popular over here why is barely any DVD's being sold and FUNimation questioning whether to continue dubbing the series or not due to lack of fan support? Sure it's got it's fans just like any other series, but for the size of the series it is lacking the fan support it needs to thrive when it comes to dvd sales which it doesn't. As Iki did state, it's called the big 3 simply because of nothing else than it's episode count and that all Shonen series pretty much that last long enough end up with that title. It has absolutely nothing to do with how many fans it has. Yes it's got tons of fans, but no it doesn't have enough to statistically be a great investment to FUNimation.

They continue to urge everyone to buy the DVD's to support the series but it isn't doing too well regardless and I admit, being a One Piece fan myself I have never bought any of the DVD's though that's mostly FUNimations fault. They are releasing a series that will go over 500 episodes in only 13 episode installments of over $30 a piece. You've gotta be damn rich if you ever expect to buy the series, and talk about shelf space. So yeah maybe it's simply because of this that people aren't buying, but then again Naruto didn't fare too much better originally but they sold faster than funnel cakes at a carnival. So I guess that's an invalid point.

Perhaps it has a bigger following in Japan, but here in the states it seems fans are either lacking or lacking the support needed to show that the series can make it. It's leagues better than either Bleach or Naruto, but either of those series has about 8x as many followers. Don't believe me? Check dvd sales, check the biggest community forum dedicated to each title. Even the internet shows a lack of One Piece dedicated sites when compared with the massive amount of Naruto or Bleach sites.

As for why it garnished a sub-forum here? I wanted to add more sub-forums, but I didn't want discussions to end so I wanted something that wouldn't be ending. One Piece has a lot of episodes and I started watching it last year finally so a board was added. It had nothing to do with the popularity and in fact when it was first added I was questioning if it would even be used and for a while it wasn't, but slowly more people began to question if they should try out the series and they did.

Most of the problem with the series lies in the fact that 4kids had the license first and ruined everyones image of the series. The other arguement I hear is people get turned off by the animation. Seriously? Look how cheap the animation looks in Bleach now... Bleach has lost all it's detail and looks really lacking.. yet the character designs which have tons of detail in both character and background of One Piece is going to turn you away from a series? Add to the fact about 60% of Bleach at least is filler and at least 50% of Naruto is filler, yet One Piece has maybe 4% filler. The guys doing the One Piece anime certainly know how to handle the manga. It's got way more episodes but barely any filler. Naruto and Bleach are handled by the same company, while One Piece is handled by a different company.

Again though I'm not siding with either of your arguments as honestly being over-rated is somewhat just an opinion based on popularity and whether you liked it enough that you believe it deserved the popularity it has. Honestly I believe One Piece is far under-rated, but it's your choice to believe otherwise.

You do realise that there is a place in between UNDER and OVER rated in which exist the anime that have exactly what they deserve.

One Piece is a series that does no disappoint the viewer. You actually have to STOP yourself fro watching all 36 episodes or so in one day, while in Bleach or Naruto, i've known people to skip whole arcs just because they're pure filler.

Yes I do realize that there is place between over and underrated. If you read my post again I said exactly that.

All we seem to be doing is comparing it to Naruto and Bleach. I never meant to say that all of the Big 3 were overrated to the same extent; just that they are all overrated. Obviously One Piece is the best of the bunch but it's still overrated to me. I mean you guys realize it's an opinion anyway right? There is no use trying to back it up with facts. The only thing we can even prove with factual evidence is it's level of popularity if we base it off DVD sales (which is not a good measure of popularity anyway thanks to piracy). The point is that the show and manga is mega popular compared to many other shows out there excluding Naruto and Bleach. Let me go one step further and throw out another word for you. Notoriety. It's the opposite of popularity as I'm sure you're aware. There are also many people who know or have heard of One Piece, but simply agree with my point of view. Maybe the show is not popular because, people don't like it? It's silly to think it's not popular due to lack of exposure, that's for sure. Maybe this explains the business with Funi. All this about popularity aside, how about we just ditch it and use hype as a base for judging if something is overrated. This discussion in itself can be a good example. I personally don't think the defense being given to the show is merited. I simply didn't enjoy it.