What is the most over-rated anime?

RazorDan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol this is turning into a one piece debate, like i said before, its personal opinion, dont mind a bit of debate but make sure it doesn't turn nasty :D

Indeed. This is why I'm ignoring the guy who said Eva was about pedo's and incest. Or at least was until now so I might as well talk about it to get away from this One Piece debate. That level of ignorance astounds me really and I'm not going to comment on those two point specifically because they're too asinine for my fragile mind.

:doubt:

NGE is indeed overrated, but not because it's boring or is about "whining kids". Those things are just personal taste. I mean if you can't relate to the characters than yeah it's gonna be boring, but entertainment value to me does not determine what is overrated in this case. Narrative and artistic merit does. NGE is overrated because people constantly say it has a deep plot and blah blah...yeah I'm beating a dead horse. Most people who have more than an month of anime under their belt should know by now what the deal with NGE is so I'm not going to explain it. Getting to the point, it's overrated because people blow the "depth" of the show way out of proportion and coming from an unbiased fan I'm willing to say that that depth is often as shallow as a puddle. I particularly despise the acid trippy scenes where they like to run around in circles asking the same questions. It's a great thing I enjoyed NGE for it's characters and setting and not the depth of it's plot.

Indeed. This is why I'm ignoring the guy who said Eva was about pedo's and incest. Or at least was until now so I might as well talk about it to get away from this One Piece debate. That level of ignorance astounds me really and I'm not going to comment on those two point specifically because they're too asinine for my fragile mind.

:doubt:

Yeah, let's just ignore the creepy vibe of Gendo raising a half-clone of his dead wife and gong on about how a grown woman is an "old hag" despite clearly not being by most adult standards, or how he was manipulating Rei and Shinji to be together in a romantic relationship, or how Shinji was romantically interested with what was essentially a clone of his own mother, or how the Misato/Shinji thing is still pedophilia even if the genders are flipped around. Maybe if you forget all that there's no pedophilia or incest.

NGE is indeed overrated, but not because it's boring or is about "whining kids".

It's only about 3/4 of the show.

Those things are just personal taste. I mean if you can't relate to the characters than yeah it's gonna be boring,

And having a character constantly whine about how much they suck or having them act like a complete bitch and whining about how much they hate another character isn't going to make me sympathetic to them, let alone make me relate to them.

NGE is overrated because people constantly say it has a deep plot and blah blah...

Hey, we agree on something. Who'd of thunk it.

I particularly despise the acid trippy scenes where they like to run around in circles asking the same questions.

"The best part of wakin' up, is acid in your cup!"

Yeah, let's just ignore the creepy vibe of Gendo raising a half-clone of his dead wife and gong on about how a grown woman is an "old hag" despite clearly not being by most adult standards, or how he was manipulating Rei and Shinji to be together in a romantic relationship, or how Shinji was romantically interested with what was essentially a clone of his own mother, or how the Misato/Shinji thing is still pedophilia even if the genders are flipped around. Maybe if you forget all that there's no pedophilia or incest. It's only about 3/4 of the show. And having a character constantly whine about how much they suck or having them act like a complete bitch and whining about how much they hate another character isn't going to make me sympathetic to them, let alone make me relate to them. Hey, we agree on something. Who'd of thunk it. "The best part of wakin' up, is acid in your cup!"

You act as if Shinji knew Rei was a half-clone of his mother, and you also straight up say they are romantically involved which is complete horse crap. The relationship between Shinji and Rei was pretty much like a brother/sister relationship and not of the incestuous kind, if you disagree bring proof please. As for Gendo, yeah I guess it's creepy to make a clone and what not but it has no incestuous motives what so ever. The only reason Rei was made was to house the soul of lilith for part of the instrumentality project. Next up is the pedo part. I'm sorry, maybe my morals are not as lame yours but 29 (misato) to 14 (Shinji) is not pedophilia, especially since the only thing that happened was a kiss. See if you knew Misato's personality then you would understand, but I guess it's out of your grasp. As for the characters bitching, again you miss the point of the show. With all that said it sounds like you're putting your crap where it does not belong. Go stick to TTGL buddy. (not that that's a bad show, it's in my top 5), but you clearly have narrow taste.

You act as if Shinji knew Rei was a half-clone of his mother, and you also straight up say they are romantically involved which is complete horse crap. The relationship between Shinji and Rei was pretty much like a brother/sister relationship and not of the incestuous kind, if you disagree bring proof please.

The way he looked at her is fairly typical of the way characters in anime act when they are attracted to another character, not to mention the way he pretty much constantly checked her out. And then of course there's the way they were actually doing it during that who instrumentality thing.

As for Gendo, yeah I guess it's creepy to make a clone and what not but it has no incestuous motives what so ever. The only reason Rei was made was to house the soul of lilith for part of the instrumentality project.

It wasn't quite as obvious during the run of the series, but there is the way he grew cold to the adult woman he was porking at the time he first cloned Rei. The way he called her an old hag says a lot about his apparent tastes. End of Evangelion doesn't exactly do him any favors either. And then there's the way he was actually trying to get Shinji and Rei involved.

Next up is the pedo part. I'm sorry, maybe my morals are not as lame yours but 29 (misato) to 14 (Shinji) is not pedophilia,

Actually, yes, it is. The minimum age of consent in most states is 16 or higher. You can call me lame for being in agreement with the law on that matter, but frankly now I'm going to have to look at you differently from now on.

especially since the only thing that happened was a kiss.

With a promise of much more. Not to mention that Ritsuko seemed to suspect her motives when she first suggested that Shinji come to live with her.

See if you knew Misato's personality then you would understand, but I guess it's out of your grasp.

I understand that many pedophiles tend to have been damaged in some way when they were children themselves, and given that I have seen the series and EoE, yes, I have a fairly good grasp of the characters. I just don't have nearly the rosy outlook on them that you seem to.

As for the characters bitching, again you miss the point of the show.

NO, I haven't, I just completely disagree with what it was supposed to be, and I really can't stand whiny, bitchy characters. Shinji almost made prequel Anakin look good by comparison when it came to that.

With all that said it sounds like you're putting your crap where it does not belong. Go stick to TTGL buddy. (not that that's a bad show, it's in my top 5), but you clearly have narrow taste.

It's not that I have narrow taste, it's that I have different taste. And yes, I have seen Gurren Lagann, and yes, I did like it. At first I wasn't sure, because it looked like just another giant robot series, but it didn't take that long for me to figure out that the show wasn't attempting to be serious. You know something they did better, though? Simone wasn't nearly as much of a whiny bitch as Shinji was. Sure, there was a point where he was kind of like that, but he got over it and actually did something.

I'd say Code Geass. The story telling is an absolute mess with more plot holes than you can count. I got lost after a couple of episodes. I honestly didn't get any of the 'drama' that was supposedly there. Some of the characters are really overdone while others are just plain boring. Not to mention there's way too many clichés. Pretty much the only things I liked about this anime were the artwork and the mecha.

Gurren Lagann... And in-case one is wondering, I do not feel that I have to give reason.

The way he looked at her is fairly typical of the way characters in anime act when they are attracted to another character, not to mention the way he pretty much constantly checked her out. And then of course there's the way they were actually doing it during that who instrumentality thing.

... Shinji was checking out Asuka way more than Rei... And with that hospital scene from the movie... I don't see where you're getting your Shinji + Rei connection... It really didn't exist, and even if it did... We do not know how much of Rei's gene's were Shiji's mothers... (and yes, it does make a difference on it being incest...) By law, incest is only with family members of 25% the same genes or more (1st cousin or closer), we do not know if Rei is 5% Shiji's mom, or 50% Shiji's mom. Because this will never be known, it can never be said if it would be incest or not.

It wasn't quite as obvious during the run of the series, but there is the way he grew cold to the adult woman he was porking at the time he first cloned Rei. The way he called her an old hag says a lot about his apparent tastes. End of Evangelion doesn't exactly do him any favors either. And then there's the way he was actually trying to get Shinji and Rei involved.

You cannot say that because he acted cold toward grown women, that he had no affection toward them. We are never shown his feelings or thoughts throughout the series (unlike Shinji's), and so, you cannot say that he was a pedophile just because of how he treated women. Also, we never hear what Gendo said to Ritsuko before shooting her in the movie... For all we known he said "I love you", in which she responded with "liar". And trying to get children "involved" does not make him a pedophile either... Many cultures still today have arranged relations of their children.

Actually, yes, it is. The minimum age of consent in most states is 16 or higher. You can call me lame for being in agreement with the law on that matter, but frankly now I'm going to have to look at you differently from now on.

I'm going to have to agree with deschain254 on this one. Also, the age consent for the states is not the same as Japan (where this anime was made...)... Along with this, Pedophilia is defined as "a primary or exclusive sexual interest in prepubescent children or adolescents 5 or more years younger than ones self." Shinji was the one with the sexual interest in Misato, not the other way around, and even if Misato did have a sexual interest in Shinji, it was by far not a Primary or Exclusive interest. Evangelion was shown through the "eyes" of Shinji, it is only natural for it to show Shinji's feelings of attraction for the women close to him.

NO, I haven't, I just completely disagree with what it was supposed to be, and I really can't stand whiny, bitchy characters. Shinji almost made prequel Anakin look good by comparison when it came to that.

As I said; Evangelion is shown through the "eyes" of Shinji, it is only natural for it to show Shinji's feelings and thoughts on the things going on around him. "Whining" and all. Throughout the show we see the psychological state of Shinji, and in the psychological sense, Shinji is quite real to how a real person would react to the same circumstances. The "Bad Ass, No Emotion, Cold and Calculated" ideal that makes most "Cool" characters in anime is not an actual state of the human mind, only those that "act" like this, are like this, and then it is all an act. The characters of Evangelion were made to be human, in all our miserable glory (flaws and all). This is why the characters were "whiny and bitchy", it is because they were human, it is because they were "real".

(This is also where I disagree with deschain254, I don't believe that the plot of Evangelion was shallow, but it is because I do not believe that the "Angels" or the "Human Instrumentality Project" were the true plot, but the characters themselves and their state of mind, seeing how human they are was to help the viewers question their own humanity; at least, that's my outlook on it).

I think naruto is over rated i do enjoy it but the rate they throw filler into the series will make it become a failure when it is complete. I'm sorry but they have repeated narutos past like 60 times. The story doesnt change plz dont show me another episode about his childhood.

But when it gets to the meat and potatoes of the series i enjoy it.

... Shinji was checking out Asuka way more than Rei...

He was checking out all three of them: Misato, Asuka, and Rei.

And with that hospital scene from the movie... I don't see where you're getting your Shinji + Rei connection...

Aside from the way he was constantly acting like he was interested in her, there's the fact that in that same movie they were naked, he was on his back, she was straddling him, and it looked like they both had something inside of the other.

It really didn't exist,

Ah, denial.

and even if it did... We do not know how much of Rei's gene's were Shiji's mothers... (and yes, it does make a difference on it being incest...) By law, incest is only with family members of 25% the same genes or more (1st cousin or closer), we do not know if Rei is 5% Shiji's mom, or 50% Shiji's mom. Because this will never be known, it can never be said if it would be incest or not.

And you've managed to miss the point as well as what the show actually showed you.

You cannot say that because he acted cold toward grown women, that he had no affection toward them.

Yeah I can, because that's what I was shown. There's definitely an element of wife-husbandry there and I'm hardly the only one to see it.

Also, we never hear what Gendo said to Ritsuko before shooting her in the movie... For all we known he said "I love you", in which she responded with "liar".

And now you're just guessing. I'm going off of what was actually there.

And trying to get children "involved" does not make him a pedophile either... Many cultures still today have arranged relations of their children.

This is where part of the incest factor comes in.

I'm going to have to agree with deschain254 on this one. Also, the age consent for the states is not the same as Japan (where this anime was made...)... Along with this, Pedophilia is defined as "a primary or exclusive sexual interest in prepubescent children or adolescents 5 or more years younger than ones self."

I continue to find it amusing that NGE fans try to defend this aspect of the series by going from pretending it wasn't there, to defending the act of pedophilia itself, often within the same statements.

Shinji was the one with the sexual interest in Misato, not the other way around, and even if Misato did have a sexual interest in Shinji, it was by far not a Primary or Exclusive interest.

There was clearly something there. Not only do we have her actions, but we have things like how other characters reacted to the news of Misato wanting to have Shinji live with her, we have her offer of giving Shinji more after the kiss, and we also have the original ending in which it was apparent she wanted Shinji to see her as a sexual being.

As I said; Evangelion is shown through the "eyes" of Shinji, it is only natural for it to show Shinji's feelings and thoughts on the things going on around him. "Whining" and all.

Which addresses nothing of how whiny, annoying, and ineffective he was and how that made him a poor protagonist.

Throughout the show we see the psychological state of Shinji, and in the psychological sense, Shinji is quite real to how a real person would react to the same circumstances.

A really pathetic ineffective person maybe.

The "Bad Ass, No Emotion, Cold and Calculated" ideal that makes most "Cool" characters in anime is not an actual state of the human mind, only those that "act" like this, are like this, and then it is all an act.

Oh, I see, so based on nothing you immediately assume that since I didn't like seeing such a pathetic loser who did nothing that I would only like the other extreme. I'm not saying that I'm not interested in real human drama and that I don't like seeing how people act when they're afraid, I'm saying that NGE went way overboard with it to the point that the characters were all pretty much ineffective and actually pretty damn annoying to watch. The new Battlestar Galactica had most of the same problems and I don't cut it any more slack for them.

(This is also where I disagree with deschain254, I don't believe that the plot of Evangelion was shallow, but it is because I do not believe that the "Angels" or the "Human Instrumentality Project" were the true plot, but the characters themselves and their state of mind, seeing how human they are was to help the viewers question their own humanity; at least, that's my outlook on it).

It certainly tried to be deep, but it didn't really succeed all that well. Again, I'm hardly the only one to see right through this show's "philosophy" and how it didn't make any real sense.

• 9 months later...

I would give it to naruto. Almost all the fights were if not lame, quite average and the ones that i was dying to see turned out 2 be really lame ( such as naruto vs the sage of the six paths ) and overall its just being 2 drawn out with fillers ( as like bleach ) and repetitive flashbacks that take up AT LEAST half of an entire episode. Frankly i find it boring