Thinking about getting a dog

seirachan

So I've been wanting a pet for a long time now. I was gonna get a cat when I first saw one that I fell in love with. But my moms allergic to cats so I would have to buy her $15 meds each month. But the upside to a cat is they are potty trained a birth. So i went to the SPCA to look around. None of the cats interested me but then when I saw the dogs...

I fell in love with a male Border Collie(id say a teenager in dog years). His eyes were just so sad but loving and he was so quiet. I went into the cage area with him and hugged him. Then noticed all the other dogs crying and figured Id better stop, opps. He was $210 plus I would have to buy a few toys, dog shampoo, food ect. I wouldn't be able to afford him right now but I could put him on hold till next payday.

But with a dog that means less time with my bf and hes already said it might be a bad idea and lots of things can go wrong. But my mothers not all for it because she doesn't care for this dog. She wanted the golden short haired girl dog but she was going to be HUGE and the landlord would never allow her. I still would also have to ask the landlord if a Border Collie would be alright. Also if I have the dog when I move I will have limited options because of the dog.

What do you guys think?

whether you go with the cat or the dog, it's gonna be a hassle. I've had and taken care of both. However, It is worth every thing you'll have to do or buy. Because a good pet will always be loyal and loving, and cheer you up whenever you're down. and they might limit you, especially with housing, but i think it's worth it, especially if it's one that's really good and loving (and quiet, that's important too)

If you can't get a cat or dog, you could try a fish. Not really as awesome as a dog or cat and you can't snuggle with it, but some seem pretty smart. I've had a green spotted puffer for over 4 years now and it's still going strong. It even seems to recognize me when I'm in front of its tank. It could never replace my cat or my dog but its fat little face is just adorable and it's really simple to take care of once you get the proper info. Being a carnivorous fish you also get the added bonus of being able to feed it a crab every now and then and watching the fireworks. Fish aren't really all that exciting but if you can't have a cat or dog, they can be a cheap and easy alternative.

Well Border Collies are a really hyperactive breed and need even more attention then most. They are also escape artists if they get bored. I'm serious, my last border collie there was no keeping her pinned up. She would dig under or chew through the fence. When we made the fence to where she could do neither, she somehow began jumping the seven foot tall fence. Finally I gave up and just let her roam free since we was in the country at the time (although my neighbor I didn't trust).

They need plenty of attention. Heck Star was one of the smartest dogs I've ever had. When she got tired of her dog food she would take it and scatter some around, and bury some for later. The ones she scattered birds would drop down to try and eat and she'd grab and eat the bird.

So yeah, if you get that one be prepared to give it plenty of your time. If you don't have a lot of time, then you might want to consider not getting a Border Collie.

Wow, what happenned to the birdy idea?

Firstly, it's a fact that landlords feel bad about like any pet you'd like to bring in your(but still their) house, except, like Laugh mentioned, fish. So if you're positive on getting a dog, feel ready to challenge your talking skills. But after all, renting a flat is a contract and if landlord says no then it's either dog, or flat. Bummer...

Secodly, i get the expression that if you manage to do with a capricious boyfriend like that, you'll do with a dog as well. No offence, of course.

And finally, I'm fond of dogs. I never kept one in the appartment, because i'd really pity the poor fellow sitting most of the time in four walls, and, even worse, alone, that's not what a dog wants. My bro, who lives in his own appartment in town, craved an english mastiff, but realized that taking him would mean responsibility for years to come and since my bro's lifestyle shifts way to often, he decided not to.

I know you saw the dog and liked it, but there is no turning back the moment you take him, so be one hundred percent sure before taking that step. After all, you've lived without a dog for years, maybe it can wait a little more, until conditions are more convenient?

So I've been wanting a pet for a long time now. I was gonna get a cat when I first saw one that I fell in love with. But my moms allergic to cats so I would have to buy her $15 meds each month. But the upside to a cat is they are potty trained a birth. So i went to the SPCA to look around. None of the cats interested me but then when I saw the dogs...

I fell in love with a male Border Collie(id say a teenager in dog years). His eyes were just so sad but loving and he was so quiet. I went into the cage area with him and hugged him. Then noticed all the other dogs crying and figured Id better stop, opps. He was $210 plus I would have to buy a few toys, dog shampoo, food ect. I wouldn't be able to afford him right now but I could put him on hold till next payday.

But with a dog that means less time with my bf and hes already said it might be a bad idea and lots of things can go wrong. But my mothers not all for it because she doesn't care for this dog. She wanted the golden short haired girl dog but she was going to be HUGE and the landlord would never allow her. I still would also have to ask the landlord if a Border Collie would be alright. Also if I have the dog when I move I will have limited options because of the dog.

What do you guys think?

My family owns and Border Collie , it's a very intelligent breed if trained right and it also needs A LOT of exercise , but it's YOUR decision if you are going to get the dog or not, if you are I hope the landlords ok with it.

I already have 4 Betta fish.. not very entertaining. Need a pet to hug and love. But i guess my bf would get mad even over a simple cat. I like Lizards but it's not the same. Nothing I can do at this point. I even had a dream where he ran off so I went looking for him of course with weird stuff going on cause it's a dream then when I found him I hugged him. Id say in my bf's eyes no one should have a pet.

You could try a pet rat. Its a common misconception that they are dirty, when I used to have them I would quite regularly see them cleaning their face in their water (which should be a heavy bowl, changed every few days or when you deem required)

They are furry, can be kept in a relatively small cage, cost little to feed (they dont eat much due to being only about the size of a balled fist fullgrown) and best of all, they can be played with in much the same manner as a hyperactive lizard.

(just get domesticated, dont trust wild EVER)

If you really want a dog you could try getting a toy chihuahua. They are very small and can be litter box trained. Your landlord will probably not have as much of problem with it as he would a large dog that needs plenty of room to run or a cat that would claw at the carpet. One of my sister's in-laws has one and from what I have been around it they almost never bark. You would need to watch where you step though because these things are super small and seem to like hovering around your feet.

If you really want a dog you could try getting a toy chihuahua. They are very small and can be litter box trained. Your landlord will probably not have as much of problem with it as he would a large dog that needs plenty of room to run or a cat that would claw at the carpet. One of my sister's in-laws has one and from what I have been around it they almost never bark. You would need to watch where you step though because these things are super small and seem to like hovering around your feet.

Lol those are the same dogs most stuck up girls put in purses for tv shows. But no I normally don't like dogs at all. This one just called out to me. I love cats cause they are potty trained at birth and don't require all my time. But I mostly like very furry cats with a furry chest that sticks out unless I like the cat randomly like that dog. But those are the worst for my mom because shes allergic.

I once had the perfect opportunity for the perfect cat but my now ex was all pissed off about it cause he was going crazy that I was sleeping with the guy that owned the kittens when I wasn't. Then I had to live at my brothers who already has 6 cats in a small house.

He had a spotted Orange and white kitten named Vitamin C that was gonna grow up very furry just the way I like but because of my ex I couldn't get him.

i had dogs all my life and is suggest if you want a dog with character that you get a West Highland Terrier...

they are an excellent breed, very smart and most have pretty funny characters (my westie, nevis, hates crisps but will go apeshit if he catchs a wiff of cheese or pizza!) and are very loving dogs. the only problem is that they are prone to skin problems if you wash them too much