What is your favorite not so heard of Playstation 1 RPG?

UnknownSoldier9

Yeah. I do too. I read somewhere that they released a sequel in Japan, but the sales were not that good there and never released it here. Or something to that effect. Its been a few years since I looked into it so I cant remember for sure though.

I don't think that information is true. I've never once heard about such a thing.

mine would be Vandal Hearts. It had a great story and battle system and i don't think too many people know about it.

There were times when i had spent HOURS going over different kinds of strategies to clear a stage since in this game, you could only do a stage once and you couldn't farm for EXP, thus having to rely purely on strategy to win.

Legend of Dragoon for me also. That was a great game. There are rarely any discussions about it, compared to other games of the same genre. The combat system was pretty unique also with the additions system.

Now I also know why you have a picture of Lavitz in Dragoon form as your signature, Koby. It's a shame he didn't stay in the party longer than just the first disc. I preferred him over Albert.

I think i'd have to agree with Legend of Dragoon - I spent a stupid amount on ebay picking up a mint copy of the game to replace the one i had that got stole (fortunately i was robbed by idiots as they left actual valuables and just took my game console and a bunch of old games!)

Last I checked LOD was easily obtainable for around $10 new on Amazon. I had to get a new copy a few years back because I loaned it to a friend and it didn't play the 2nd disc when I got it back.

Going by your name, I'm surprised you didn't say Koudelka. Given it's a prequel to Shadow Hearts I may enjoy it but I haven't ever gotten around to playing it. Many I hear from though didn't like the battle system of it, but I hear your weapons break over time and thus you have to keep spares and stuff.

Last I checked LOD was easily obtainable for around $10 new on Amazon. I had to get a new copy a few years back because I loaned it to a friend and it didn't play the 2nd disc when I got it back.

Going by your name, I'm surprised you didn't say Koudelka. Given it's a prequel to Shadow Hearts I may enjoy it but I haven't ever gotten around to playing it. Many I hear from though didn't like the battle system of it, but I hear your weapons break over time and thus you have to keep spares and stuff.

That is true, about Koudelka. I played a bit of the first disc on an emulator awhile back. The combat system wasn't that great.

• 2 weeks later...

this is interesting, i will answer this one in specific categories:

Strategy: Brigandine 3: Legend of Forsena, Tactics Ogre, Hoshigami

RPG: Thousand Arms, Lunar Silver Story, Legend of Legaia

Simulation: Monster Rancher 1 & 2, Theme Hospital, Theme Park

just an opinion, i think that Legend of Dragoon was quite popular that time since it's publisher was Sony itself, i know that the game is good and in fact.. i really love it because of the graphics it had that time (which almost compares to Squaresofts CG's), and for the gameplay it had.

now that i think of it, i really have some hard time on lavitz and alberts addition.. it's quite quick and if sometimes that a counter hits.. i always get to fail in the timing =)

That would be too obvious :) I've played all the shadow hearts games as well because they followed on (kinda) from that game - i am pretty fond of dark/horror/gothic-y games/movies etc) I still have a copy of Koudelka it's a bit scratched (i did play it a lot) but LOD got my vote because it was a much longer game and less frustrating but if you skip cut-scenes it works. The combat system would probably drive most people who play games these days crazy, it was a turn-based grid system and pretty slow and yep just when you get you gear uber it breaks and you have to go find new stuff...still a great if somewhat disturbing story.

• 2 weeks later...

The Legend of Dragoon is definitely my favorite not-so-heard-of PSX RPG. I love the battle system; it really provides a challenge for me since I am not gifted with the ability of perfect timing when entering any sort of commands. Another RPG I am fond of is Legend of Mana; I do not know if it is considered "rare" or anything of the sort, but I rarely hear anyone speak of it. I enjoy its various storylines.

The Legend of Dragoon is definitely my favorite not-so-heard-of PSX RPG. I love the battle system; it really provides a challenge for me since I am not gifted with the ability of perfect timing when entering any sort of commands. Another RPG I am fond of is Legend of Mana; I do not know if it is considered "rare" or anything of the sort, but I rarely hear anyone speak of it. I enjoy its various storylines.

Ooh. Legend of Mana was a good game; I always played it co-op with my brother and at first I always got confused at the different paths that you could take (for storyline / plot coherence) until I got the jist of things. I think that would be my personal favorite, though I always hated taming the spirits.

Ironically I was just playing Secret of Mana on my Ipod while I was reading through here. Haha~

• 2 weeks later...