Religion

-PHXN- New001

Are you an Atheist?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an Atheist?

• I'm an Atheist.
    • No, I believe in God.

If you're cool with being a brainless monkey than thats fine by me XD

I on the other hand like to think that the world didn't come by chance since everything in the universe works in perfect harmony.

I'm not much of a religious person, but scientists' saying the universe came by chance is very illogical.

If only Scientist's could prove that we don't come from apes. 

I seriously don't want to believe that shit

Huh...we don't come from apes.

They're are COUSINS.

We share a COMMON ancestor.

If you're cool with being a brainless monkey than thats fine by me XD

I on the other hand like to think that the world didn't come by chance since everything in the universe works in perfect harmony.

I'm not much of a religious person, but scientists' saying the universe came by chance is very illogical.

Uh...again.

Totally misinformed.

• Like 1

Evolving from primates doesn't make one a "brainless monkey." For one, Apes aren't brainless. They're an intelligent species. There are plenty of animals that display intelligence, memory, language, emotion, close and/or familial bonds, and adaptability by means of learning and using tools. We humans tend to forget that we are, in fact, essentially animals... just with higher cognitive capability. I say "capability" because plenty of humans are dull enough to lose an argument with a rodent. 
Second, as Tanis pointed out, we did not magically spawn from the loins of monkies. We (according to evolutionary theory) share a common ancestor with apes and descend from that ape-like ancestor... not apes themselves and certainly not monkies.
It makes less sense to think that humans just miraculously formed as we are. We've found skeletal remains of humanoid beings that are different from as we are now. How'd they come to be? The planet is constantly changing, adapting... evolution is a process by which life improves itself over an extremely lengthy amount of time... for humans, it took millions of years.
Point being just to explain that it wouldn't be an insult to your nature to accept that your species developed and survived long enough to become what we are now.
...Unless you're a misanthrope like me, but that's another topic entirely.

As for my stance on religion... I can't bring myself to submit to or understand organized religion. I was raised in a family with very mixed beliefs and cultural backgrounds (pagans, protestants, native americans, and atheists), but they let me learn and choose for myself. At my core, I'd say I'm an agnostic that leans very much away from the idea of monotheism. However, because of how I grew up, I do consider myself a somewhat spiritual person in a harmless, individual sense. I don't believe in any gods... there's just something about the world that I've felt and experienced that my mind can only equate to some kind of "essence". I guess you could say I held onto a bit of the Native American spiritualism and pagan respect for nature/balance. But I don't believe in deities or anything of the sort... I just have a personal problem with simplifying life down to nothing but a science equation. I obviously support the theory of evolution, I just choose to let myself get away with a bit of romanticism every now and then. 

I choose to believe in a creator because I scoff at the idea that we are accidents. We are all made different but for a reason not...kaboom...nope not buying it. That's my biggest thing. Evolve just means development, it doesn't mean we actually came from one organism. You'd have to believe we are the same level as animals for that theory to be true which we are not. I know this might piss off animal rights people but we are VERY FAR above animals. No matter the intellect of the animal means nothing ultimately. People who believe we came from apes are kind of putting themselves down. If you wanna be an animal, so be it but that does not mean that we are all animals.

• Like 1

My apologies for getting lengthy.
Spirituality and religion are different. You can easily be one and not the other. Since many people assume the presence of a god as "fact," they don't consider themselves spiritual. They just think they're acknowledging a universal truth/existence. Me believing that unicorns exist doesn't make me spiritual... it just means I'm accepting something as a truth that may or may not be supported by perceived reality. 

I honestly don't understand why some people put such high stock in humanity.
I personally think we're more akin to parasites. I wont bother explaining as I'm sure we'd have to agree to disagree. 

Alright so the apes are intelligent, we are it's cousins, we were once ape-like people(caveman).

The part of your story, I didn't bother to read. Keep it short.

So you're a spiritual person who doesn't believe in God, I'm not a spiritual person but I do. Strange

'Caveman' weren't 'ape like'.

Didn't they teach science at your school?

I'm someone who wants PROOF, or at least some kind of evidence beyond hearsay.

Religion, doesn't provide that.

Most religious text that have been written was done so based on the words of others, with no actual PROOF that any of the magical stuff happened.

The current 'big 4'.

-Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

-Buddhism I left out because some people treat it as a religion, others as a philosophy.

Are all based on stories that took from previous stories and built on them.

Though, to be fair, Hinduism tends to have more 'original' stuff...but that's probably because of how much older it is than the other three.

'The Flood'?

Been told before.

'Virgin Birth'?

Been told before.

'Died and came back'?

Been told before.

'Talked to an angel, messenger of god'?

Been told before.

etc/etc/etc

Edited by Tanis

When I was in school, they taught us that we came from apes. The so called theory of Evolution.

That was around grade 4, they didn't bother teaching us about evolution after that.

What kind of school did you go to?

And, you do realize, that Evolution is both a FACT and a THEORY.

Like, well, GRAVITY.

Well the theory of evolution isn't fact. It's redefining words to make it seem like fact. They say naturalism proves evolution but it actually disproves it. Different breeds of animals all stay in the same kind. They never change into a different kind.  

Your post, do you even science?

Uh...actually, it kind of is.

A SCIENTIFIC theory is different than a theory in common speech.

Just like GRAVITY is a theory, but also a fact.

What animals?

There's GENETIC, DNA, evidence that evolution is true.

This was found AFTER evolution had first been proposed to the scientific community.

Yep, like humans, we never changed into a different kind, we improved from homo whatever to homo sapiens sapiens. ^_^

Except even Homo sapiens have been shown to evolve over time.

We, as a species, have actually gotten TALLER.

Heck, our appendix is an example of something we evolved OUT of.

It's a left over from our species younger days.

Science really is fantastic.

Far more amazing than any 'poof, and thus we were' myths perpetuated by any religion ever made.

Yep, like humans, we never changed into a different kind, we improved from homo whatever to homo sapiens sapiens. ^_^

exactly. the chain of evolution is in separate branches. NOT one tree.

Actually, it IS one tree.

With MANY, MANY...insanely many...branches.

:P

exactly. the chain of evolution is in separate branches. NOT one tree.

Actually, it IS one tree.

With MANY, MANY...insanely many...branches.

:P

no, humans have always been humans. dogs have always been dogs, down the line with each separate kind. Only way anything would conjoin is cross breeding.