PAX Machina, a RazoRune Collaboration

Anras Rune

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

bit of a shorter one here, to set up for coming events i need to discuss with razor. Enjoy!

Chapter 25: Check Mate

Wake had been watching in a state of immense amusement the whole time this little scuffle had been going on. He sat a good distance away, and relished in the carnage unfolding before him. He saw Iori rolling around the field and saw him blast a hole in Rezin's chest. He saw Random sprinting off in retreat. But best of all, he saw Lambert and his little lackeys fighting in the midst of it. He knew he'd be paying them a visit soon, but his train of thought was interrupted by a retreating AS fighter. He didn't like that.

"Well hello there friend!" he exclaimed as he fell from the tree he had been perched in, "where do you think you're going?"

"WAKE!! You...god damn traitor! Where...the hell...were you!" screamed the anonymous soldier in between breaths.

"I was watching your pathetic little group fall to pieces" replied Wake moving closer like a big cat stalking prey," and I must say, you did so spectacularly!"

With that final word Wake took a leaping bound and impaled the soldier on one of his arm mounted blades. Wake twisted it, just so he could give the soldier pain. His was satisfied by the gurgling scream emitted from the soldier, even more so by the futile attempt to pull the blade out. After a few seconds, Wake felt the final heartbeats pulsing throught the blade, and removed it. He glanced up at the battle and decided to pay Firo a visit, see how he was getting on. Maybe he'd kill Firo for the kicks...

_____

Vonnie's head was swimming, the pain mainly focused into a red hot ball near the crown of her skull. She'd been knocked out, again, and wasn't even sure when. Her sense of time was go, and she had no idea where she was as her eyes were covered, shut closed by a smooth cloth tied tight around her head. Her hands and feet were similarly bound, to a chair by the feel of things. She could hear someone talking nearby, but she couldn't make out what was being said, nor who was speaking.

Eventually, after her grogginess had subsided a measure, she could make out the voices more clearly. There was two, both talking in a hushed tone, obviously waiting for her to wake up. She knew one must be Styx, so the other smoother tones must've belonged to Ballard. She couldn't feel her armor, so they had removed it, meaning she was exposed. Exposed in a room with two people who would do anything to hurt her.

"It seems our guest is awake," commented Ballard, interrupting Styx in mid sentence,"remove her blindfold, see what she says."

Styx removed her blindfold with a quick tug, but Vonnie kept her eyes closed for a few seconds, allowing the pressure on her eyes to subsist. She slowly opened her eyes a slit and eventually her eyes adjusted to the light. She saw Styx standing next to her, his arms behind his back yet poised for action. Ballard was sitting a few metres in front of her, behind a simple metal desk on top of which sat her PA and the Legate. She gasped a little.

"I see you noticed my little prize here. Very high quality I would say, some of the best work your father ever did I must say. Did you know he made me an Armor as well? I had it commissioned a year after I joined the Reapers, before we became what we are today. I've never used it though, not for combat, never for combat. But seeing the beauty of this Armor brings a sense of lost nostalgia, as if I'd missed out on something grand. I might start using it after this all blows over," remarked Ballard, as if talking to himself. He didn't even glance up when he mentioned her father, he didn't need too as he knew it would have affect. He continued,"not to say your Armor is any less grand. The Equites Armor, another of your father's crown jewels. I wonder, would he have given it too you if he knew how you'd use it? I doubt it."

"What do you want Ballard? Just kill me and get it over with." interjected Vonnie, trying to change the subject away from her father. She squirmed a little, trying to loosen her bonds, but Styx moved right in beside her and placed his firm hand on her shoulder, pushing her into the chair.

"Hmph, if I wanted you dead you'd be at the bottom of the sea by now. No, despite you having been a thorn in my side for years now, and the substantial reward for providing you to the authorities dead or alive, I actually need you. Or rather, I need your services. You see, I'm sure you know Wake is free. Hell the world knows he is free. I'm sure you know about Firo's current predictament as well."

"Hurry up and tell me what you want goddamit. I have no paitience for your droning." shouted Vonnie, her nerve breaking and her anger rising. Mentioning Wake made her blood boil.

"Very well. Straight to the point. You, madam, just hours ago killed my beneficiaries, my sponsor's beneficiaries and my employer's banker. You have caused a lot of trouble for me and my employers. Now he needs you to get rid of the competition for this to balance out. So, I'd like to make a contract. 3 targets, 4 if you count Firo." remarked Ballard, not phased by her aggression. His calm demeanour grated on her. She was suprised by the offer.

"You want me to take out your trash? Why?"

"You are freelance. If we sent Styx he will be recognised. Your only other compatriots are out of touch, Reishin being engaged in some freelance governent ops apparently, and your lover boy Opem being with Lambert in the middle of hell. Yes, Opem got dragged along for the ride. He is at Firo's right now I do believe. Iori won't work with us, but I've been told he is there as well. As is Wake. But we ne-" began Ballard, readying to reveal the details of his contract when Vonnie abrupted screamed at him.

"LET ME OUT OF THIS CHAIR NOW, OR I SWEAR YOU'LL WEAR YOU ENTRAILS AS A NECKLACE YOU BASTARD!" she bellowed, her voice sounding almost bestial. Her muscles pulsed under her skin, her wire frame tensing and pulling towards Ballard, bending the chair and almost disloacting her shoulders.

"STYX!" quickly shouted Ballard, motioning towards her.

Styx, having had his hand yanked off when she had pulled forward, took a step toward her front and smashed his substantial fist into her jaw. Her head snapped round, rolling for a moment, before she spat out a blood soaked drool. She looked at Styx, smiled with her bloodied teeth and mouth, and spat at his face. She kept on grinning at him even after he went to hit her again, his anger boiling to the surface. But they were interrupted by something strange.

Vonnie suddenly went stiff, her body tensing up straight. Her eyes rolled back and her teeth began to grit. All in all, she looked like she was having a seizure, so much so Ballard sprang out of his seat and was about to ready to call in some medics. But again, they were interruputed by something, extraordinary. The Equites began to power up. Ballard, stopping in his tracks glanced around at the Armor, which he knew he hadn't touched at all. Even Styx turned round to see the commotion going on, but was more suprised than Ballard when Vonnie hit him on the head with a chair leg. She had managed to break the leg and slide her hands out of the smooth cloth. Being sophisticated had been their downfall.

Almost as soon as the chair leg connected with Styx she had jumped towards her Armor, the Equites already ready to fold onto her body. Ballard tried to reach into a metal cabinet, in search of a weapon with which to defend himself, but to no avail. Vonnie had already unholstered her remaining pistol and pointed it towards his skull.

"Checkmate."

• 3 months later...

well good to see the return of the elusive jin! well got some news for you and anyone that still wants to read this. Me and razor aren't sure if we will be continueing to post this on the forum and are considering a rewrite on our blog. Not sure yet, but we nee to talk once he is finished his exams to see what we will do. In the mean time look out for another post from either me or razor, and watch our sigs....lol