Connect Four

Mujklob

Hello. I am going to be starting a Connect Four tournament. If you do not understand, it is the same game as the board game, with the same rules, but we are going to be doing it in ASCII. So, after the first few moves, the board will look like this.

Exhibit A:

| . . . . . . . |

| . . . . . . . |

| . . . . . . . |

| X . X X O . . |

| O . O O O X . |

| X . O X X X O |

| A B C D E F G |

The games will go until one person gets four of their letter in a row, horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. Each player will be allocated a certain amount of time for making their move before they will forfeit the game, so to prevent this from dragging on for months. This will most likely be thirty-six hours from the start of the match for the first player to make their first move, seventy-two hours from the start of the match for the second player to make their first move, and twenty-four hours after that for making each additional move.

Anyone who is not banned may enter. I want to know how many people are interested in doing this before getting it started. I am currently undecided as to whether it will be more elimination focused or round-robin style, but that should depend on how many people we get to sign up. I will make sure who plays who and who goes first is randomized. If you are interested, post below so I can get a feel of how many people will be doing this. :-)

Prizes:

• Winner - User bar, 15 000 Gil, and bragging rights.
  • Runner-up - 5 000 Gil

Participants:
  • Mujklob
  • Lightning
  • Koby
  • Emotional Outlet
  • Arcane Dawn
  • Shinji
  • Drazhar
  • Riku-kun
  • [PHXN] New001

I will certainly be willing to play it.

I am thinking... I might be able to code a JavaScript version of Connect 4 for the main website.. However it'd have it be human vs. bot if I did.

Currently I am working on interaction features, like the tic tac toe, al bhed translator, what ff character are you quiz, etc.. Interaction is key factor in an active website.

But enough off-topic-ness. I'd be willing to play this ASCII game.

Okay. Let's talk prizes. I will give the winner of the competition 15 000 Gil and the runner-up will also get 5000 Gil from me. Also, it would be nice if we got some sort of standard user bar for the FM competitions to prove that people win these competitions.

And thank you to the above. Do we have any more? Free to enter, people.

24 hours seems a bit excessive, but i guess it would give the ppl in diff timezones (eg. me) a chance to make a move.

Also, if you can't make a move (have a valid reason as to why u can't/didn't;; hospital, exams, etc) we should make them exempt from disqualification and hence, forefeiting the game.

Sometimes I don't get a chance to come on everyday. So 24 hours may seems excessive to some, but really it's alright.. or might not be enough time.. =P But yes it could be frustrating waiting forever for your opponent to go. But if you are both on at the same time the game could be ended in a couple of minutes. ^_^

So maybe we should say that opponents should try to come on at same time if possible.. but it probably wont be possible due to time differences.. etc.

I don't want to play so count me out! XD; (I used to hate connect four...) But... I have a suggestion. Maybe in the first few tournaments, pair up players that are in the same timezone? At least it would get the beginning parts done quickly. I would guess at least a couple of the players are in the same timezone. 24 hours might not really be enough though... It seems like a lot but if more than one is going on at the same time, it shouldn't bring back the entire contest too much. I would say at least 48 hours, cause not everyone is on every day =/ (maybe this particular group is though).

I used to do a contest at my forum and what we had to do was put up a bunch of possible dates and times and try to get everyone on at the same time - and that was about 10 people. Trying to get 2 people on at the same time shouldn't be too tough, but it would require a lot of communication and planning between everyone.

I don't think being in the same time zone matters so much as getting them on at the same time. Even if it was done by time zone, people who are adjacent to each other in terms of time zones could be paired up, and not be limited to being in the same one. Only an hour's difference. Even a three or four hour difference shouldn't be too much of an issue. Only becomes a problem when one person has to be up at three in the morning to accommodate the other person coming on at noon. (And that's only if the first person doesn't want to be up at three in the morning. My brother stays up all night and sleeps all day, so that kind of situation wouldn't be an issue for him.)

I don't mind the twenty-four hour limit.

• 2 weeks later...