Not Time Yet [working title]

Shazi

your comments are much appriciated. i wrote this much and a few more chapters a while back but lost it when my computer got a trojan. i remebered i had the first three chapters on my deviantart page and thought i'd revive it. let my know what you think of it

nottimeyet1.png

I was late again. It was my fault though; I slept in and took to long to get ready for school. Not only that, if I missed the bus one more time I’d be suspended from school, and of course because I’d be suspended I’d be grounded too.

The situation stood like this: I’d missed the bus many times before and managed to get too school on time, but once or twice I decided to do some much needed shopping. Somehow that leaked back to the school and then in turn got back to my mother.

Now my mother had a good old chat to the principal and they set up a deal: If I miss the bus and don’t turn up to school and I get suspended, the school calls my mother and when I get home I get grounded.(Fun.)

These factors cause me to sprint as fast as I can through the streets to the bus stop. I can say, with confidence, that I’m not a very fast runner and about a third of the way there I started to loose my breath.

‘A shortcut,’ I thought ‘All I need is a shortcut’. I glanced around for said faster way to the school bus and saw neither head nor tail of a quicker way there. I kept running, taking my normal route, I’d already worked it out to be the fastest, legal, way to the bus that already included any shortcuts I could find. ‘Of all the days to be late I pick the one that I’m carrying the most stuff with me’ I thought angrily as my heavy bag thumped painfully against my back.

I glanced at my watch and frowned at the time. Twelve past, (wonderful, three minutes and counting)’ I took a deep breath and increased my pace, and at that moment it wasn’t easy.

I really needed that shortcut at this point. After I thought, and a few minutes had passed, I glared at my watch again. Fourteen past. (Great) Had I not been gasping for air I would’ve sighed irritatedly.

I was going to miss the bus, be suspended from school and grounded. All in the same day, and it wasn’t even nine o’clock yet.

I rounded the corner and spotted the bus still there, waiting. With relief I slowed down, ‘Surely the bus driver saw me. He’d wait for me too.’ I didn’t have time to check for cars; at this point all I cared for was reaching the bus. I stepped out onto the road and was struck by a pain so excruciating it rendered me unconscious.

Edited by Emotional Outlet

• 2 weeks later...

okay so you liked the prologue, lets see if you like where i go from there.

nottimeyet2.png

Bandana tied in my hair and soft leather sock-boots on my feet, the day was going to go smoothly, I could just tell. Nothing was going wrong for Zali. Yeah, I think a lot of myself but the way I see it, ‘If you don’t love yourself, who will?’

I nodded in acknowledgement to the other Angels as they passed by. Then made faces to their turned back. Yep, Utopia was great, if you ignore all the goodie-goodies floating around. Jeff’s big on goodie-goodies but, bleh, as if that was ever going to be me.

“Morning Zali” Hannah greeted my happily as I walked into the restaurant we’d organised to meet at.

Hannah had a soft voice and she looked more similar to the mythological Cherubs than she probably should. She had a sweet round face warm, welcoming, brown eyes and curly, golden brown locks of hair that, like all Angels, sat perfectly at all times, whether she’s just been flying or whatever else would cause a humans hair to go haywire.

“Morning Han” I greeted pleasantly and took a seat across the table from her.

Now Hannah may not be your average Angel, but she defiantly didn’t stand out as much as me. With strait silver hair that flowed down to my hips and a glowing iridescent violet coloured eyes. Besides, I’ve been told I just look like trouble waiting to happen. There was a big difference. But despite this I still thought of her as my sort of ‘Protégé’ or a ‘little sister’ if you like.

Hannah made my train of thought come to a screeching halt by stealing my daily planner and reading it.

“You have Gate duty again today” she frowned. Gate duty was the only duty I’ll ever do. Pansy duty just wasn’t my style.

“Why don’t you ever do Flower duty with me” she asked.

“Three reasons,” I held up three fingers. “One: I can’t tell the difference between lavender and lily. Two: I don’t like flowers, and Three: I prefer to talk to Daphne than your carnation freaks.” I replied.

“They’re not carnations” she argued.

“Daffodils then.” I shook my head and shrugged. I stopped her from arguing again by putting my finger to my lips.

“Fine, but Andrew wants to see you this afternoon.” she replied.

“Andrew?” I was startled. Andrew was in charge of Returns. By Returns I mean humans who mistakenly get sent to Utopia instead of Hell and vice versa.

“Yep, Andrew.” Hannah nodded.

“Returns Andrew?” I had to make sure; this had to be a mistake. Why would Andrew want to see me?

“The very same” Hannah confirmed, ‘Protégé’, ‘little sister’, ‘date book’ or whatever I ended up referring to her as, she knew exactly who wanted to see me and when. She did have my date book in her possession.

“Right, this afternoon, after lunch…” I said absently, lost in thought again. I stood up to go to the gateway for my last duty of the century. After this morning’s shift and my meeting with Andrew, Zali was free for the next fifty years.

“Say hi to Daphne for me” Hannah called over the book she’d pulled out to read.

“Sure thing” I rolled my eyes.

---

My train of thought kicked back into gear on it’s way to confusing me as I made my way across the many fields of flowers. I probably should’ve known what they were, Angels, technically, are supposed to know all the names of our flowers so we can guide the humans properly, but whatever, I’ve never guided them through Utopia and I don’t plan to in the near future. That sought of thing was for Bethany or Seth.

---

“Morning Daphne” I called as I closed the gates behind me. Not many Angels go beyond the gates of Utopia, our gates are gilded with little gold Angels (most likely High Angels, the snobs) on silver and platinum flowing swirls and flowers. On the other hand the gates to hell are gilded golden, I’m presuming, Demons on twisted and warped black metal. The gates for the Returns were white because they’re the neutral zone.

“Morning” Daphne replied quickly before pointing someone to her left, to Hell. Daphne was the gate keeper and she was on neither Utopia nor Hell’s side of things. She wasn’t an Angel nor was she a Demon. What she was though, wasn’t normal. She was half feline to say the least. She had cat’s ears, paws and a tail. I think she has whiskers too but I could be wrong. The rest of her looked human.

“Your last shift for the century right?” she asked pointing someone to Utopia, which meant I had to open the gate.

“Sure thing,” I replied happily, “after this I’m free for the next fifty years.” I closed the gate after the human who entered. Daphne let out a bellowing meow-like laugh.

“I hope the next Angel’s a good one,” She sent the next person to Hell. Sending people to Hell may sound bad but it’s the afterlife they chose for themselves.

“They’ll probably be someone stuck up,” I let the next Human in line into Utopia. Daphne gagged.

“It wouldn’t want to be that Michael or Bethany again,” She pretended to throw up and sent another person my way, “They were terrible,” She cringed at the memories. “’Welcome to Utopia.’” She mocked, “’Enjoy your stay in paradise.’” She pointed the next person to Hell. We simply looked at each other fro a few seconds before bursting into a fit of laughter.

“I’m guessing that last one was Michael?” I wiped a tear from my eye.

“Yep” Daphne nodded, still giggling as she sent someone to Hell.

The morning went pretty smoothly till just before the end of my shift.

“What was your name?” Daphne asked a girl who looked no more then ten. She had a pinafore dress that looked like it belonged in the 1960’s, complete with the overall pocket at the front.

This was strange, Daphne never needed someone’s name before, half the time she didn’t even look at them she just sent them to where ever vibe they were giving off, it was 99.9% right.

“Liah Sceller.” She replied nervously, Daphne paused for a few seconds, racking her brain for something. I began to get nervous; it was taking way to long to get her to her afterlife.

“Cause of death?” Daphne enquired, frowning slightly. The girl hesitated before replying.

“Road accident” She said uncertainly. Daphne thought for a second.

“Hit by a speeding truck sound right to you?” Daphne asked, the girl paused thoughtfully and nodded. “That way.” She pointed to Hell. I was surprise, not many ten-year-olds go to Hell, unless they’re rotten brats but even then you could tell just by looking at them. She looked different to the others who’d died.

“Alright Zali, looks like your shift’s over.” Her pattern of pointing humans in the right direction had recommenced after the girl entered the gates to Hell.

“Alright!” I threw my fist into the air in celebration and Daphne giggled.

“Enjoy you fifty years of freedom.” She called after me as I’d already spread my wings and taken flight. I saluted Daphne and continued on.

---

“Lunch time, lunch time.” I sang blissfully as I flew through the air. I realised this and then gagged and almost fell out of the sky. Singing blissfully was not something I wanted to be caught doing. I wiped my brow with relief that no one saw me and my near miss or heard me singing.

I spotted Hannah, weeding the flowers, or rather removing dead flowers. It’s not like we even have weeds in Utopia. I dived in and landed nimbly among the daisies or whatever they were, I couldn’t tell.

“Lunch time!” I grinned at Hannah. She sighed.

“Already?” She didn’t look up from the orchids, and my face fell.

“Yeah already,” I stuck my hands on my hips and gave her a sour look. Hannah sighed again before standing up.

“Let’s go then,” Hannah took off into the air.

“And here I was thinking you’d take at least ten minutes before I convinced you to get away from the Honeysuckle.” I sped after her.

“They’re not Honeysuckle.” She replied.

“Fuchsia then.” I shrugged and then stopped her from arguing with my finger on lips technique.

“Where to?” Hannah asked, she seemed impatient, probably yearning to get back to her precious dandelions.

“Evasion or Motives?” I suggested our favourite restaurants.

“Evasion,” Hannah replied “we were at Motives this morning” She replied, reasoning it out to me.

“Evasion” I agreed, and we changed our course.

---

We landed out the front of Evasion several minutes later with very little flight conversation. We entered the restaurant and greeted the owner, Rain, politely.

“Any clue on what Andrew wants?” Hannah sped straight into the questions the instant we sat down.

“Nope.” I shook my head.

“None?” She arched an eyebrow disbelievingly,

“At all.” I shrugged. I certainly wasn’t going for Returns duty if that was what he wanted, that happened to be a good thought so I voiced it.

“If it’s a recommendation for Returns duty he can stick it.” That comment caused Hannah to giggle.

The rest of lunch went on with our usual chatter namely Hannah going on about Periwinkle and Sunflowers and other floral related things while I nodded, glaring until she stopped.

---

I entered the Returns office with surprising confidence. That held up until I saw Andrew on the phone to who I could only assume to be Lucifer: Lord of Darkness. We call him ‘Lord’ nowadays; mainly because he’s long outgrown the name ‘Prince’, by around 12 000 years. I shuddered at the thought of Lucifer, Not that I’d ever seen the guy; he’s legendary among Angels of Utopia. The only one of us Fall straight to Hell.

Most Fallen Angels simply end up as humans and the eventually return to us anyway, but Lucifer went to Hell, bypassing Earth completely. The fact that he didn’t go to Earth is the thought that strikes fear into most Angels, accept for Andrew. If was going to be recommended for this I was sure that I couldn’t speak with Lucifer like Andrew does. With such, I shuddered at the thought, friendliness.

“Don’t panic now Zali.” Andrew addressed me with a cool voice. It startled me to see him off the phone. I must admit, for the Angel closest to Lucifer he was nothing remarkable, I expected something more than scruffy black hair and blue eyes.

“Who says I’m panicking?” I retorted as soon as I regained myself. Andrew chuckled softly and I scowled at him.

“Now Zali,” He began “you are aware of Fallen Angels are you not?” He asked and indicated for me to sit down on the seat across from his desk. I scoffed, which gave him his answer, as I sat down “I thought as much.” He chuckled again at some sought of private joke he had. “Now you know Angels only fall to Earth with the exception of a select few.” He glanced sideways at the phone.

“Lucifer.” I shuddered as the name came out of my mouth, I nearly choked, not many Angels say his name aloud.

“There’s another,” He stared directly at me.

“Another?” I paused “bu-” I tried to argue but he held his hand up to silence me, using my own trick against me.

“Think Zali.” He told me.

I thought, but no name or face came to me. I might’ve skipped a few (most) of my floral classes and some of the others, but I attended every lesson of Fallen Angel History. The teacher has stressed so much that Lucifer was the only Angel to Fall to Hell. Why would Andrew bring up Fallen Angels and tell me more than one had-

“Oh!” I almost jumped out of my seat when I worked it out. I was Falling to Hell, Zali, was going to be as famous as the Lord of Darkness, as feared as Lucifer.

“Yes Zali” Andrew nodded, He lowered his gaze “I’m very sorry but these were direct orders from Jeff” my eyes widened.

“I was ordered to Hell by Jeff?” I really was going to Hell and I was going to be as well known as Lucifer, My name was going to be taught to young Angels, and they would all fear me, as I feared Lucifer right now.

“Yes” Andrew nodded.

---

Andrew led me to the white gates that I now know as the Returns and Rejects Gates. I plodded sourly behind him.

“Anyone you wish to farewell?” He asked me.

“Hannah.” I mumbled, disgruntled at my situation. He nodded calmly and I glowered at him.

“I will pass on your farewell to Hannah” He opened the gates for me to step through “Be sure to check in with Lucifer, he’ll be waiting for your arrival.” I flinched at his name again, I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to meet Lucifer, but at this point in time, I had very little choice. I entered the gates to Hell and left my life in Utopia behind me forever.

Edited by Shazi

• 2 months later...

dbmi9t.png

Interestingly enough, I thought I was unconscious, after the pain I’d felt I probably should’ve been. I still felt a slight (rephrase huge) throb in my left hip. That stubborn pain aside, I was somewhere that wasn’t recognisably on Earth.

I looked around at the huge line spread in front of me, the start of the line seemed to be hidden by clouds, much like the ones I seemed to be standing on, I noticed as I looked at my feet. I was no longer in my school uniform either, the pinafore dress I was wearing seemed to be from the 1960’s, deep red in colour, made out of denim and it didn’t quite reach my knees, the shoulder straps buttoned on at the front and a nice (sarcastic) pocket stitched at the front. To match my 1960’s pinafore dress I had nice (again, sarcastic) black leather shoes (almost like T-bars) and knee high white stockings.

As I examined my new outfit further, as the line moved forward, I discovered that I kind of liked it (this time I’m not sarcastic) the shirt I was wearing underneath the dress was silk and had ruffles that were off my shoulders.

When I got near the front of the line I saw two gates guarded by something I could only describe as a cat girl. She had a tail, ears, paws and by the look of it whiskers too. The gates were rather similar, though one was made of menacing black twisted metal and the other: inviting gold and silver (cliché much?).

After a few more minutes someone stepped out of the gold and silver gate. Seeing as though she had a halo and white wings I assumed she was an Angel, and when you put two and two together you should come the same conclusion I did: I was dead, and judging by the look of the gates the menacing one was Hell and the inviting one was Heaven (yet it was still so cliché).

I can’t say I’ve been one to actually believe in religion, so my guess was I was going to Hell. It seemed logical, however unappealing.

The Angel said something to the cat girl which her burst into laughter, the cat girl had a booming meow-like laugh that startled the man she pointed to Hell. They continued their conversation, I couldn’t make out what they were saying but the cat girl said something and they both roared with laughter this time. Honestly, I couldn’t see what was so funny about this situation. All the people around me were dead, and yet they were laughing about something. After a few more minutes the Angel said something and the cat girl agreed and sent the next person to Hell.

I finally arrived to the front of the line, all the things I’d done in my short life came rushing through my brain as I contemplated wether I was going to Heaven or Hell, I gulped as things that’d send me to Hell quickly overtook things that’d get me into Heaven.

“What’s you name?” The cat girl asked me, she had a puzzled expression on her face. Closer inspection confirmed she did have whiskers, and they twitched like she was irritated. I took into note that she hadn’t paid much attention to the others being sent to their afterlives, (so why am I being kept up?)

“Liah Sceller.” I replied to her, even I heard the nervousness in my voice. (She didn’t ask anyone else’s name...)

“Cause of death?” she frowned slightly as she asked me, I paused to think of how I’d died, presumably when I ran out onto the road.

“Traffic accident.” I replied. (What else would happen if you ran out onto the road without looking first?) The cat girl looked to be thinking about something before replying

“Hit by a speeding truck sound right to you?” she asked, I paused, (It could’ve been a car for all I know, but I want to get out of here,) I nodded, anything to get out of that situation. “That way.” the cat girl pointed to the gates to Hell. I gulped; I was going to Hell, an eternity of torture, doomed to spend forever in suffering.

I opened the gate and entered Hell, the second I left the fluffy white clouds and stepped on the stone floor of Hell I was hit with a blast of heat. (Good thing I’m wearing a dress.)

Hells entrance was dark, really dark. I couldn’t see where I was going and it was uncomfortably warm, making it worse a few steps in I spotted a pair of ochre eyes glowing in the dark, (yeah, that’s right, I can come up with fancy words to describe things) I was sure my situation couldn’t have gotten any worse, but naturally as soon as that’s said something goes wrong doesn’t it? (Stupid Cliché’s, always happen at the most inconvenient times)

“Follow me,” whoever owned the ochre eyes also owned a ridiculously deep voice. (It kinda creeped me out too) without much choice in the matter, I followed this deep voiced, ochre eyed person through the dark till we finally emerged from the tunnel (yes that’s right, Hell’s entrance is a tunnel) into a eerie red glowing world, I kept my eyes lowered, I’m not sure why but I did.

“Trent, you didn’t scare the poor girl did you?” I looked up to see a woman with short scruffy hair and the same colour eyes as the person who led me through the tunnels (who I now assumed to be Trent)

“Put a sock in it Meg, you do your job and I’ll do mine.” Trent retorted to the woman who simply scoffed at him, Trent was obviously the male equivalent to Meg, they looked exactly the same only Trent was taller and angrier looking (plus he’s male, I’m sure that speaks for itself)

Trent trudged back down the tunnel, leaving me in Meg’s care (from what I can gather at least.)

“New girl, follow me.” Meg said to me.

---

It was cooler out of the cave, but Hell was still really hot, I’d say roughly 28-29o Celsius, the dress I was wearing sure did come in handy that’s for sure. I followed Meg and saw that most people wore t-shirts and singlets, although there were many various styles. Ranging from some stuck up looking people with mobile phones (was it really necessary when you’re dead?) to some people dressed entirely in black (I believe they’re called “Goths”) with chains and studded leather stuff.

“’Kay this is where I live.” Meg stopped at a small building. We were (judging by the very few building around) just outside of a town. Meg opened the door and motioned for me to come in. I looked around before I walked in and took in what her house looked like. It was rather drab and boring: white washed walls and varying shade of grey décor.

I shrugged and walked in. the walls began to ripple as I got further in then changed from white to a deep red that matched my pinafore dress. The décor had changed from varying shade of grey to semi gothic red and black stuff. I gawked at the room and Meg just laughed at me.

“Catches even the best of them off guard.” She walked down out the only door besides the front one, which I assumed was to the bathroom and toilet.

“Ooh floral scent” I heard her squeal. I walked down the hall to see her kneeling with her head inside a cupboard under the sink. “Look, snapdragon” she giggled as she showed me the hair product. “What’s your name by the way? I forgot to check the list” she asked, investigating the contents of the cupboard further.

“Liah,” I replied simply. Meg stood up and left the bathroom.

“Right Liah,” she repeated absently, she entered the lounge room, with me following not far behind. “Well if there’s anything you wish to know ask away, you have your entire afterlife ahead of you.” she threw the hair product on an empty armchair and plonked herself down on another.

“Are you my guide or something?” I asked. Out of all the questions I had in my head at this point that one sounded most relevant. Meg simply burst into laughter.

“Not the first question I get asked by a human but a good one none the less.” She calmed herself down, “I suppose you could call me that.”

“What’s normally the first question you get asked?” I admit I’m curious to see what the rest of the human race thought was the most significant question to ask a demon guide upon arriving in Hell.

“Why have I gone to Hell?” she replied, she threw her legs over the arm of the chair and shrugged, “because apparently it wasn’t already clear to them,” she laughed again. How that was funny I don’t know. Must be demon humour.

“Y’know, you’re an odd one Liah.” she said suddenly after a few minutes of silence, Meg was nice, not at all what I expected a demon to be like I kinda liked her, she reminded me of Stephanie, my best friend back on earth. I hope she’s well. I love that girl to bits. “We demons can usually sense an aura, like a signal, of belonging from residents but it’s as if you don’t exist.” she crinkled her nose and began fiddling with a lock of her hair that hung over her eyes.

“I don’t exist?” I asked (it was a rather puzzling statement.)

“I’m sure it nothing.” she assured me, flicking her hair back into place, “Shall we take a tour?” she asked.

---

As we walked though Hell (I walked, Meg hovered above me) Meg pointed out things to me, explaining how important they were.

“That doesn’t even make sense.” I told her when she told me that the Bell tower was significant and I shouldn’t go there.

“Just trust me. Besides you have all of eternity to learn these things.” She spun around in mid air, “now, the most important thing to know is…” she paused for dramatic effect. Maybe knowing that I had eternity on my side made me just a little more patient, because I wasn’t really that eager to hear it. “All the humans in Hell are just ordinary people, no murderers or anything, the only people who make it into Utopia are young children and babies who haven’t really had enough time to do something huge in their lives.” (That explains the alarming number of humans around the place.)

“So I haven’t done anything wrong, specifically?” I asked.

“Probably not.” she shrugged.

“You haven’t got a clue do you?” I mumbled angrily

“Hey, I said I didn’t check the list.” she replied, (I’d gathered that already) “If you’d committed a horrible sin of some description Lucifer would’ve told me by now.”

“Lucifer, as in Price of Darkness: Lucifer?” I asked, Hell was nothing like what Earth had made it out to be and that was the most Earth like thing I’d heard so far.

“No,” Meg replied, “The Lord of Darkness: Lucifer” she corrected me.

“Since when has he been known as ‘Lord’?” I asked

“Around 12,000 years by our time.” Meg replied, “oddly enough, Lucifer is the only Angel to ‘Fall’ to Hell” she did the inverted comma’s with her fingers.

“I take it Falling from,” I paused to remember what she called Heaven.

“Utopia” she offered.

“Utopia is quite different to how I imagined it in my head.” I mused.

“Lucifer just used the returns staircase.” She deadpanned.

“A staircase?” I raised a questioning eyebrow

“He said it was painful” she winced. “Besides, he’s actually a nice guy; the Lord of Darkness is just a nickname we’ve given him.” I suppose demons have a great respect for Lucifer. “That over there is Vincent,” she pointed to a demon sulking in the corner, “When he’s not sulking he’s very vicious,” she paused, “Wise to stay away from him at all times” she skipped on the ground for a few seconds then began hovering again. (I say hovering because she doesn’t touch the ground, nor does she flap her wings)

Discerning demons from humans was rather simple, (aside from demons wearing almost uniforms) demons all look relatively similar, for one they all have scruffy black hair, and secondly their eyes vary from deep crimson red and bright golden yellow, lastly they all hade pointy ears that drooped down. And us humans, boy do we stand out. ‘Goths’ and ‘Pop Princesses’ plus many other genre’s of people walking around, groups of people had a demon hovering above or behind them either pointing out things or explaining what they’ve just pointed out.

“Where are we going now?” Meg asked, she’d taken to hovering behind me and point out various things of importance or ask me where I was going.

“How should I know, I only just got here.” I replied, I was just exploring, she knew the place better then I did anyway.

“You’ll get lost,” she sang, resting her hand on the back of her neck,

“I doubt it.” I sang back sarcastically, (what a stupid comment Meg, you’re my guide.) she frowned in thought then shrugged, my guess was she worked it out.

After a few more minutes of walking around I found a place to sit, a quaint little park filled with cute little shrubs and some sought of trees that had really pretty leaves. (Don’t question my descriptions; you notice these things when you’re dead.)

I sat on a bench and thought for a few minutes. Meg sat next to me and cocked her head to the side questioningly.

“I’m thinking.” I replied to the look she gave me. She simply raised her eyebrows. “You’ve had years to get you head around this stuff, I’ve had two,” I glanced down at my wrist that usually had a watch on it out of habit, “maybe three hours, and no time to think,” She nodded solemnly and smiled

“You really are an odd one Liah,” still smiling she shook her head.

We sat in the park, on the bench for quite some time while I thought of things that, when I was living, would never have occurred to me at all.

---

While I was sitting on the park bench thinking, a phone rang. I looked at Meg questioningly. I shook my head, I didn’t have a phone on me.

“Well hey, that’s me.” she pulled her phone out of her pocket, “Won’t be too long.” She grinned at me then walked out of earshot and answered it.

I watched her have a conversation in the distance and decided it was probably none of my business. Naturally I was curious, ‘If it didn’t involve me already what could it possibly be?’ The question that leads to many disasters in peoples lives, because that’s the point when people become involved and a lot of the time, it would’ve been better if they hadn’t.

I resolved to not get involved, I’d done plenty of things that’d gotten me into trouble led solely by that question, and I wasn’t about to do the same.

“Hey Liah, wait here.” Meg told me when she came back “The big boss’s called me in for something and I don’t want you to get lost.” she answered the question I hadn’t even asked.

“Sure, I was going to do a bit more thinking anyway.” I smiled

“Be good.” She winked, her wings seemed to grow a little before she flapped them and flew off.

---

• 9 months later...

damn it, i forgot chapter 2 >.< you're gonna have to go back and read it coz this is the chapter that was there before

33xaas7.png

"She's pretty,"

"She has wings like Lucy,"

"Do you think she a-"

"Shh, you'll wake her,"

I woke from the single most painful experience of my life to the hushed whispers of two little girls. I was numb all over, making it impossible to judge anything, and I couldn't bring myself to open my eyes.

"Look, she's awake!" one of the girls said brightly,

"Izzy, shhh, you'll scare her," the other one scolded.

"Sorry," the first one apologised meekly. I opened one eye, which took a ridiculous amount of effort to achieve and observed the room within my direct line of vision. It was quickly invaded by two black haired little girls dressed in extravagant black and red dresses. Complete with lace trimming.

"Are you okay?" the one that wasn't Izzy asked. The only reply I could give was a strangled groan.

"I'll go get Lucy," Izzy flew out of my sight. I heard the pitter-patter of her footsteps as she ran to fetch whoever Lucy was. The other one rolled her eyes and began to talk to me.

"I'm Anabell, Izobell and I are in charge of the rejects of Utopia." she said calmly, "Lucy never told us there was another Angel Falling" she frowned. I groaned again, she could have a one sided conversation all she wanted by I wasn't as numb any more and I was in pain.

"Careful, you'll make it worse than it already is," Anabell restrained me as I started to writhe, the pain was getting worse by the second and it wasn't just where my white feathers had been forced out. It was all over. "Stop moving," Anabell told and applied more force. She was surprisingly strong for a little girl.

"I brought Lucy," Izobell announced. I was able to move enough to turn my head and catch sight of a handsome man with platinum blond hair, sleeked back and black feathered wings.

Realisation settled in and I fought against Anabell even harder. Lucy was Lucifer, the one person I was actually afraid of. I started panicking then, Anabell called Izobell over to help restrain me. The whole time Lucifer stood observing, watching with a airy look on his face.

Eventually I was sedated, I woke up again to a woman, who resembled Izobell and Anabell, observing my like a nurse or doctor would.

"Welcome back," she said gently, "I'm Meg, I noticed you met the Bella's," she indicated to the little girls behind her playing with blocks, Izobell and Anabell. I couldn't tell the difference between them when they weren't talking.

"I'm Zali," I responded, Meg blinked, confused and then laughed. I didn't see what was so funny, maybe it was just the fact I was in hell, or maybe it was demon humour I didn't understand.

"I'm sorry, that's exactly what Lucifer did when he arrived." she snorted. Jeff help me I was being compared to Lucifer. "are all angels like you?" she asked.

"If they were, I wouldn't be here would I," I remarked. She laughed again. I glared at her as I sat up.

"Guess not, you're supposed to be living with me for a while, till you get the used to the idea of Hell." she indicated towards the door. Is stood up as she was obviously leading me out.

"Buh-bye Meggy," Izobell waved.

"See ya," Anabell added.

We exited the room and onto the top of a spiral staircase, I started counting the stairs as we descended and lost track at around the 200 mark. Honestly, who has that many stairs? I figured we were either in the most ridiculously sized tower ever or going underground, and frankly I didn't like the prospect of either.

"Brace yourself," Meg warned, around the corner was the exit. She opened the door and I was greeted by a most interesting sight. Everything was bathed in an eerie red glow, and we were on a very earth like street. There was people bustling passed without even noticing us. Most of them humans. "Exciting isn't it?" she grinned.

"I guess," I shrugged. It was different from Utopia, not better, not worse. Just different. As we walked down the crowded street Meg pointed out several things, but I was to engrossed in how many humans were around. There were children and adults a like and they were all so different.

"Is there many more humans?" I asked, Meg laughed again.

"Yep, this is the city, some numerous kilometres in any given direction is the outskirts of the city and further beyond that is the farms. Lovely people out there, they all work together to get their produce to the city." she explained. I nodded apparently Hell was just like earth, there's people who grow the food, it get shipped to the cities, or city in Hell's case, then the city folk eat it all. And the cycle continues.

"And here is my home," we arrived to a small building. "Here's the keys," she chucked me a set of keys. "I gotta go talk to someone. Be back soon." she launched into the air. I walked into the house and switched on the light. With the light on there was no more red glow. I could swear I saw the walls ripple.

I walked towards the walls. They definitely rippled. As I got closer they rippled and changed. I fell over in fright. The wall had changed from black to a reddish brown colour.

"Hey, who changed my walls," I glanced up to the front door and saw a very familiar girl.

"Hey you're the girl Daphne had trouble with," I pointed at her. She grimaced and stalked off to the kitchen. Apparently I hit a nerve.

"My name's Liah," she told me. "Why are you here, aren't you from Heaven?" she asked. Yeah she definitely hit one of my nerves. Also it was called Utopia, not Heaven.

"Utopia," I corrected "and not any more." I added, "I got kicked out." she nodded thoughtfully. "I'm Zali." I added.

"I'm sorry, I guess we're in the same boat then. Taken away from out home." she said. She went into the cupboard and grabbed out some food. "You hungry?" she offered. I nodded and she made sandwiches. "Meg said she had to go see Lucifer for something and she'll be back later."

I devoured the sandwiches Liah gave me hungrily. She makes awesome sandwiches by the way. I wonder if Meg can cook? If so I'll be set for the rest of eternity.

"Something's different about you," Liah mused while cleaning up the kitchen after herself. She kept looking over at me trying to figure it out.

"It's the wings," I told her. She'd spend hours trying to figure that out if I didn't tell her "They're black now," Liah nodded. And brought a plate of little sandwich triangles to the lounge table.

The door handle jingle with the arrival of Meg. Liah and I watched the door as she arrived and entered.

"You wanna stare a little bit more?" she laughed at us. "Oh sandwiches, awesome I was hoping to get a human who can make food, I'm sick of cooking for myself," she sat on the armchair and gnawed on a sandwich.

"So Zali, what's Hea-Utopia like?" Liah asked, she corrected herself halfway through saying Heaven again.

"Well," I started, "There's human kids everywhere, playing in massive fields of flowers," I said, describing the flower fields Hannah loved so much. "Don't ask me what kind of flowers they are I have no idea," I kept going, everything I knew about Utopia, everything I would miss. The city, surprisingly even the people. Especially Hannah.

"Sounds like you miss it," Liah said after my story. I nodded, definitely going to miss Utopia, however much disliked it there.

Life was slow in hell, despite how many people were about. Meg lived in a quiet part of Hell, rather close to a park full of trees and other plants. I should probably get a book or something about plants, Meg needed a garden.

---

Liah and I went for a walk. She said she needed to get out of the house for a bit and Meg said the two of us together should be able to find our way back to the house. Liah went strait to the park and sat on a bench. I stood next to the bench and watched the flowers in the breeze.

"You like flowers?" liah asked. She noticed me watching the flowers.

"Not usually, but a friend of mine loves them." I replied, again with the thoughts of Hannah. I miss her so much. "Plus they remind me of Utopia, even in the red light."

"You should make a garden at Meg's." she suggested, "It could use some brightening up," she looked up at the sky. They sky itself was red in hell. It shared it red tinge to the world around me, kind of made things a little eerie.

"I was thinking the same thing," I replied to liah, "but I have no idea how to garden," I sat down next to her.

"You could always learn." she said, "We'll go to a book shop tomorrow and get one on gardening." she grinned. She seemed to be into the idea of gardening. Was she a gardener as well as a cook? Regardless we agreed to get Meg to take us to a book shop to get a book on gardening.

"You two planning on coming home any time soon?" Meg floated down from behind a tree, "I'm starving," she held her stomach as it growled angrily.

"You could've made something," Liah scoffed.

"But you said you were making pie," Meg whined and her stomach growled again. Liah and I laughed heartily at her.

"Fine, pie it is," Liah rolled her eyes and sighed. We walked home, Meg glided beside us. I didn't trust my wings yet, they still hurt. Meg was gleefully dancing through the air awaiting her pie all the way home.

been a while since i wrote anything for this, but i got something now

35b8j84.png

I rolled over groggily and was greeted by bright red light.

“Wakey Wakey I want eggs and Bakey!” Meg sung from over top of me. I groaned, i’d forgetten I was sent to hell. Of all the places I could have gone, heaven (utopia), limbo, Mexico etcetera. I was sent here.

“Come on Liah, get up!” Meg threw a pillow at my face.

“Alright I’m coming,” I snapped and rolled out of bed. Conveniently my pyjamas changed into a similar outfit to the one I was wearing yesterday.

“I dropped Zali off at the book store about and hour ago” she informed me as I begun preparing our breakfast.

“Shouldn’t you have stayed with her?” I asked, she shrugged in reply.

“Probably, but she said she could do it on her own,” she said.

“Well, I’m sure she’ll want some of this” I pointed to the eggs and bacon I was making, “Think you could go and get her?” I asked

“Alrighty then, be home in ten,” she grinned, grabbed her keys and left. Leaving me alone on the house.

I was about to light the stove when I heard a knock on the door.

“One second” I called, I put the lighter down and went to answer.

“Hiya!” the girl at the door greeted brightly. I had to stare at her for a moment, she looked like she was dressed somewhere between a showgirl and a circus ring leader.

“Can I help you?” I asked, she shifted a tuft of blond hair from her face and craned her neck to look inside.

“Is Meggy in?” She asked

“Meg” I was a little stunned by her “she left a couple of minutes ago” I said

“Drats, so that was her I saw fly off” she cursed and punched her hand lightly

“She’ll only be about ten minutes if you want to come in” I stepped back to allow her in.

“Cheers,” she bounced (literally) into the house. “sure has changed since I lived here” she gaped.

“You lived with Meg?” I asked. I was taken aback, but I figured I knew I wasn’t the first human who’d lived with Meg.

“Sure did” she grinned “I guess this is all you?” she gestured around with her head to the walls and furniture.

“Not all of it,” I grinned back “I’m Liah,” I held my hand out for an introductory handshake, which she took.

“Eclairebeth”

“Care for some egg and bacon?” I offered.

“Oh yes please,” she licked her lips, I went back to the stove and got back to cooking breakfast.

“Eclairebeth isn’t exactly a common name” I said to Eclairebeth.

“Yeah, my mother couldn’t decide whether she wanted to call me Elizabeth Claire or Claire Elizabeth” she explained, “So she named me both and gave me the same middle name as my grandmother”

“Really?” I asked and flipped the eggs at the same time.

“Yeah, crazy huh” she laughed. I heard a jingle of keys at the door.

“Doors open, you’re just going to lock yourself out” I called and served breakfast for 5. Meg tried to open the door and cursed when it was locked. “what did I just say” I said to Eclairebeth, who giggled.

“Why was the door unlocked?” Meg asked when she and Zali finally got in.

“I let Eclairebeth in” I gestured to the girl, wolfing down her share of eggs and bacon “Welcome home Zali,” I added “eggs and bacon?” I offered

“Yes please” she sat down next to Eclairebeth.

“Where’s mine?” Meg hovered (not literally) behind me.

“Here” I handed her a plate.

“Thank you Liah,” she sung “so Clairy, come for your weekly visit?” she asked

“You betcha” Eclairebeth replied with her mouth full of egg.

“Still have no manners” Meg laughed.

“I’ll never have manners” Eclairebeth declared and raised her fork in the air triumphantly. I glanced at Zali who was eating in a rather sophisticated manner. she’d also changed out of the flowing white dress I’d seen her in yesterday in favour of a red t-shirt, denim shorts and a green apron. She still wore her bandanna in her hair though.

“OH MY GOD” realisation hit me.

“I believe he’s called Jeff,” Eclairebeth corrected me.

“Eclairebeth Blanc?” I inwardly punched myself for not realising it as soon as she said her name.

“Yeah” she looked at me blankly

“Liah Sceller, we were best friends until” I trailed off

“No freaking way!” she stood up and removed her hat “ Meg you said I’d probably never meet anyone from earth”

“Well the chances are very slim” Meg spluttered “When you factor in how random human death is and preferences of different humans”

“Of all the people I’d meet in this place, I never thought I’d see you!” Eclairebeth wrapped her arms around me

“I never thought I’d meet anyone!” I hugged her back.

“Aww how nice, a reunion,” Zali said sarcastically “if anyone needs me I’ll be outside” she put her plate on the sink, grabbed her book and left.

“Something I said?” Eclairebeth asked Meg who simply shrugged in reply.

“She probably misses Utopia” is said quietly “it was her home after all.” the other two nodded in agreement.

---

Eclairebeth and I spent the morning catching up. I asked her about he afterlife and she asked me about my life.

“Man I would have loved to have grown up with you guys” She laughed.

“I’d liked it if you were there too Clairy” I grinned, “but well,” I trailed off again.

“Yeah,” she agreed.

Eclairebeth and I had been best friends for a long time. For as long as I can remember. Sadly just before her 7th birthday she was diagnosed with cancer and 3 years later she lost the fight. I was hard to believe that in the 5 years since I’d last seen her she’d changed so much.

I mean, who wears a showgirl/ringmaster costume? Apparently Eclairebeth.

“I’ve been meaning to ask, what’s with the get up?” I asked.

“My ring master costume?” she looked down at her apparel “Lets just say that this is a great place to be whoever the hell you want” she tipped her hat. “no pun intended” she added

“You can tell you’ve been her for a while” Meg laughed from her armchair “by the way Liah, what’s for Lunch?” both Eclairebeth and I couldn’t help but giggle at Meg who pouted in response.

• 1 month later...

1shbo2.png

I stared at the soil, it was currently damp and dirt like, without even the slightest hint that seeds were buried under it.

I planted those things as per the books instructions about three hours ago, surely something should have happened by now.

“Whatcha doing?” The girl who’d be visiting asked as she knelt down next to me. I hadn’t noticed her leave the house.

“Waiting for sprouts.” I replied.

“Oh you planted something? Cool! How long ago?”

“Three hours,” I said dully.

“Well there won’t be anything yet” she laughed “seeds take days to sprout”

“Are you kidding!” I groaned. So much for making a cool garden.

“Nope, plants and stuff are slow moving,” she explained, “but, water them daily and get rid of the weeds and your garden will look awesome” she gave me the thumbs up. Man this girl was weird.

“What are weeds?” I asked, gardening was a lot harder than Hannah made it out to be. No wonder she spent all day in the fields.

“Weeds are the plants that grow that you didn’t put there.” Liah came out of the house and explained, “Because you’re caring for the plants you put there they like to come in and steal all the water and space from what you want to grow.”

“That doesn’t sound very nice,” I frowned. Liah chuckled to herself.

“That’s why you pull them out and throw them in the bin,” she smiled, “What did you plant Zali?” She asked. I thought for a moment, I actually had no idea what seeds I’d brought home with me.

“White flowers.” I shrugged.

“What kind of white flowers?” Liah rolled her eyes.

“I don’t know, frangipani.” I offered. I had no idea about flowers. What made her think I did.

“possible, we’ll just have to wait and see” she grinned. I pouted. I probably should have kept the packet the seeds came in, I’m fairly certain whatever they were was written on it.

“How long did you say this was going to take?” I asked Liah’s friend

“A few days, give or take.” She replied and bounced over the fence.

“Joy.” I replied sarcastically. If I’d known it would take this ling I wouldn’t have made a garden.

“Aww it’ll be fun Zali,” Liah’s friend insisted. I’m sure she said her name earlier but it was weird and I couldn’t remember what it was.

“If you say so,” I shrugged. I had all of eternity here so why couldn’t I have a little patience for some flowers.

“You know you don’t have to sit there and wait for them,” Liah told me, “Come for a walk?” she offered

“No thanks,” I sighed, “I’ll stay home today.” I smiled weakly. I’m not going to deny it, I missed home. I missed Utopia, I even missed the some of the most stuck up angels there. I missed it all.

Who am I fooling, Hell is my home now, I can’t ever go back to Utopia. I’m stuck here in Hell. Here in the red glowing world.

I wondered inside and found Meg curled up on the arm chair, where she usually sat.

“What’s with the face?” she asked, tilting her head sideways.

“Nothing,” I sighed in response.

“I’ve seen that look many times before,” Meg’s tone changed to being very serious, “I’ve been doing this for a long time Zali.” She reminded me of a mother talking to one of her children.

“Well there’s nothing wrong.” I poked my tongue out at her which made her giggle.

“If you say so,” she shrugged, “I’m always here if you need me.”

“Sure,” I said and sat on the couch and the room went awkwardly silent.

“So.” Meg started

“Yeah,” I replied lamely

“Wonder what Liah’s doing” we said together. We looked at each other wide eyed and burst into laughed, Meg nearly falling of her chair

“Man I was wondering when your sense of humour would kick in” Meg wiped a tear of laughter from her eye.

“And just what do you mean by that?” I questioned.

“You’ve been so glum since you got here I wondered if you even knew how to laugh. Lucy didn’t when he got here.” she giggle and shook a shag of hair out of her face.

“I know how to laugh,” I said defensively.

“Alright,” Meg nodded and giggle a little more, “Lets go see what Liah’s doing anyway” she stood up

“Why?” I asked, “She’s probably in the park like usual.” I added.

“More than likely,” she snorted, “Watching the trees, lost in that weird head of hers.”

“You’ve noticed something weird about her?” I asked. Maybe Daphne and I weren’t the only ones who picked up on that.

“Kind of,” Meg scrunched up her face, “She feels like she doesn’t belong.” she tried to explain.

“She didn’t feel like she belonged in utopia either,” I frowned, “I wouldn’t know about hell, my human sense has gone blank since I got here,” I shrugged.

“Hmm,” Meg mused. “A thought for another time” she stretched “I’m hungry.”

“Why am I not surprised” I giggled and rolled my eyes. “keep eating like that and you’ll get fat.”

“Will not,” she poked her tongue out at me.

“Liah will keep feeding you until you pop, you know that right?”

“Wait,” Meg gasped “would I really pop?” she asked with a really scared look on her face. I couldn’t help myself, I nearly fell on the floor laughing.

“By pop I mean you’ll be really sick.” I said through giggles.

“No explosion?” she asked sadly

“No explosion” I shook my head

“Drat, that’d probably look really cool too” she punched her hand lightly. “Anyways, time to find Liah,” she threw her hands in the air and walked out the door. I laughed and shook my head, I swear I’ll never understand demons. They’re too different, I hardly understood angels, how could I possibly understand demons.

I threw my legs up onto the couch to relax, and think. What was I going to do while I waited for my garden to grow?

“I saw Meg fly off and two girls walk away,” a man said from the door “I’m guessing the only person left in the house is an angel?” he continued. Whoever he was he knew who was living here.

“You’d be correct,” I said and walked over to let the guy in. I saw who it was and froze on the spot.

“I was asked to give you this” Lucifer handed me a book, “from a friend up above.” he grinned and pointed upwards. I gripped the book tight and whispered my thanks. “see you next time” he smiled and waved goodbye.

I dropped to my knees he second he was far enough away for me to calm down. That was probably one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. Though he was always so nice, not at all like how I was taught to think of him.

I closed the front door and struggled to get my way to the couch, I dropped the book a few times on my way there. When I sat down I looked at the cover and read the title: Flowers from across Hell.

“a gift from above” I whispered to myself and started to cry. I knew exactly who it was from. Hannah, I missed her so much. So much it hurt.

I sat in place sobbing for a while. I wiped away my tears with my apron and opened he book and I note fell out. I picked it up to read it

Dear Zali,

I hope hall isn’t as bad as everyone is taught. Bethany seems to think that I’ll be going next since I was your best friend and all.

I miss you Zali, mornings just aren’t the same without going to the café’s we used to go to before work and the fields are lonelier now that people have stopped talking to me.

I asked Andrew if he could get this letter to you along with a gardening book, since I couldn’t find any in utopia that would be relevant in Hell I asked if someone was able to get one. I hope I didn’t cause anyone any trouble.

I guess this is goodbye, since I won’t be able to see you any more.

I’ll miss you Zali and I’ll never forget you.

Love Hannah.

The letter had smudges and tear stains all over it. Hannah must have been crying as much writing is as I am reading it.

I laughed a little when reading over it “I hope I didn’t case anyone any trouble” I wondered what she’s say if she knew her letter had been hand delivered by Lucifer.