Boys, Girl, Intelligency!

Anooxy

I don't know if this is true but I read that people studied who was more intelligent, Boys or Girls.

It ended up that boys have less brain than girls below the age of 16, same as girls from 16 to 21, and 10% more brain than girls after 21 years old. So after all boys end more intelligent than girls in the end.

But there was another thing. Boys are good on solving complicated things and study more Math, Physics or Engineering.

Girls have more logic than boys and are better in the daily life.

It actually does not matter how big the brain is, but how much of it you use and how well you use it.

Guys do tend to not pay attention more in my school, but I will admit, my best friend Dave does use more of his brain then most people, he has more logic and common sense as well as academic based knowledge that I've ever really seen a person use. It's kind of scary sometimes haha.

It's an involuntary actually, really, don't take me wrong, you can't really control how much you use, it just depends on certain things. I dunno but most people are unable to, some people can, I don't know, they were born special.

And wow I should name myself the queen of run-on sentences.

The size of one's brain does not correlate to one's intelligence. The different sizes of different parts of the brain and how the brain is set up to increase efficiency is more important than the size of the brain itself for intelligence. Dolphins have larger brains than us. Are they more intelligent?

Also, if anything, we would be "smarter" with the same mass of brain, just smaller. The electrical signals which our brain uses to communicate roughly travel at 100m/s. These signals need to travel from neuron to neuron for the brain and the rest of the body to communicate. Currently, the distances between the neurons are fairly inefficient. In the next fifty years, with nanotechnology, we could easily create smaller neurons and shorten the distance between the neurons. This would increase the speed of the brain by many times.

(Neuron A) ->->->->-> ->->->->-> ->->->->-> (Neuron B) # Total time taken: 55 units.

(A) -> (B) # Same speed of signal, much shorter distance. Total time taken: 10 units.

These diagrams are definitely not to scale, but you can see how much faster thoughts could move through our brains. This is only the beginning, however. The next thing holding our thought power back is the speed of the signal. One hundred meters per second is slow. What if we could increase it to a fraction of the speed of light? Let's say one third.

That's one hundred million meters per second. A million times faster. Adding this to the reduction of the size of our neurons and the distances between them, we could easily increase our speed of thought by a factor of ten million.

Well. Talk about the inefficiency of nature. >_>

Anyway. Provide sources on your claims next time. :-/

http://sysopmind.com/tmol-faq/orientation.html#singularity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_size

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/kinser/Sizechart.html

EDIT: Added link for an example of the intelligence for dolphins.

Not everyone born stupid stays stupid. I mean we are all born pretty unintellectual. Just some learn faster and more than others.

It's not for all people however. Who is born stupid, remains stupid. But for people of the same level it is real.

I'm not 16 yet (after a few months) so it means I'm not the same as girls yet xD.

And I will be 16 in february and I am a girl so I am superior to you! XD

And Dolphins are other species. We are talking for humans. They have same kind of brains so size definetely counts of them.

It doesn't matter what species they are, the size of an organisms brain does not effect it's intelligence.

When you do, if you haven't, take Highschool Biology you will find this out.

What's intelligence? What makes someone smarter than someone else?

I thought it always went that males were more logical/rational, but females were more social/emotional.

Have another link.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=neurosci.box.1833

"Imagine assessing the relationship between body size and athletic ability, which might be considered the somatic analogue of intelligence. Body weight, or any other global measure of somatic phenotype, would be a woefully inadequate index of athletic ability. Although the evidence would presumably indicate that bigger is better in the context of sumo wrestling or basketball, more subtle somatic features would no doubt be correlated with extraordinary ability in Ping Pong, gymnastics, or figure skating."

"A more rational approach to the issue, which has become feasible in the last few years, is to relate the size of measurable regions of known function (the primary visual cortex, for example) to the corresponding functions (visual performance), as well as to cellular features such as synaptic density and dendritic arborization. These correlations have greater promise for functional validity, and less pretense of judgment and discrimination."

I just think it depends on the person and whether they apply themselves and all that jazz.

:cool: I hate Biology.

FGNMELKSJR?!! WTF? Biology is the easiet/best class I have ever had to take, besides it being before lunch and smelling like dead starfish and losing my appetite. ._.

i don't believe in this boys/girls are smarter nonsense.

There are some REALY smart people. But most of the time, it comes down to how much effort you put into things.

Hard work/effort > Naturally Smart.

hard work/effort will get you a 99.naturally smart and little effort will get you a 101.

girls develop more quickly than boys so during the early years they are smarter, some are even stronger and taller, but in the end everyone is different some are stupid and unable to use their brains,some are slightly better and use the brains only for small tasks they feel necessary, others are genius.it basically depends on your genes i think and you gender is just that small percentage that gives your smarts that tiny boost.

btw biology is great and shoudnlt this be in the mako reactor?

@Slayer: It would be a sad world if this was could be called a debate. Sounds like a casual discussion to me. And, I think biology has a lot more that you need to put to memory and try to recall it, while physics is much more application and problem solving.

@SasukeX: You sound quite sexist. Biology and physics are both interesting subjects. It's nice to know how your body works and how the world works. In the end, I'd probably choose physics though, for no real reason.