Boys, Girl, Intelligency!

Anooxy

lol. somehow it got turned around into science.

But yeah, i'd prefer physics as well. much more interseting. *note, i've already completed physics in highschool. =p*

@Sllayer: True, but i'vefound naturally smart ppl not put in the effort because they know they can get away with 80% or something and prefer to party all day or watever.

but that's just from my own observations.

In the end, I'd probably choose physics though, for no real reason.

o rly? =P

I haven't had physics yet, but I enjoyed biology despite my teacher being weird. I prefer anatomy and physiology, but it's not set in stone. Still have a year to go in high school and either physics or chemistry could take my interest over anatomy/physiology.

How is a subject girlish? Is it the subject matter or which sex associates the most with it? I'm pretty sure there's a good number of male OB/GYNs. Gynaecology is a pretty female-specific subject. Does that make it girlish? Is there something wrong with girlish subjects anyway? Would you be up in arms if I said I hated some subject because it was boyish?

IQ doesn't mean much; I'm pretty sure I've seen plenty of articles on why the IQ tests are generally bullshit. I'll find some articles if people are too lazy to get them, but I'm sure you could figure it out for yourself why it's rarely the final say in how intelligent you are, if ever.

Again, what makes a person intelligent? A lot of people say that I'm pretty intelligent--but I suck at geography and history (barring things I haven't learnt yet or spent any time studying--of course I'll suck at Russian because I have never studied it). Am I less intelligent because I'm not the best at every subject? Am I less intelligent because I can't get everything right the first time through?

What about idiot savants? They're extremely talented in one subject and generally hopeless at others--are they less intelligent because they only know a lot about their chosen subject?

What is naturally smart? No one is born knowing everything (Oh, how I wish I was).

What is intelligence? Is it being able to solve any equation put in front of you? Is it being able to write something that can bring everyone who reads it to strongly feel some emotion? Is it being able to memorise everything you come in contact with? Is it being able to win every argument you're in? Is intelligence book smarts? Is it more mechanical (cars, construction, et cetera)? Is it being extremely socially competent? (Is it being able to ask lots of questions, being able to drag things off-topic, and writing long posts? Because if it is, I totally have that in the bag.) Do you have to be able to do all of those things and more in order to be intelligent?

Most people I know are happy to barely pass their classes. But most of them generally have that one subject where they really shine at. Are they intelligent because they have that subject they rock at, or are they idiots because they can't do well in other subjects?

TL;DR version:

I said it before:

"What's intelligence? What makes someone smarter than someone else?"

That was me! Hehe. I discovered I could make a's and b's without effort so school became boring and I started to skip class, not give effort, etc.. To where now I'm not in school at all. =P I need to get into college soon. I want to major in webdesign. BTW when I was in 7th grade I was smart enough that I was one of the three chosen to go and take a college exam (the SAT), and I passed it with like a 2,420 or something if I remember right. xD No.. I'm not some retarded geek or nerd.. I'm just smart.

Wow, we sure have got off topic.

That was me! Hehe. I discovered I could make a's and b's without effort so school became boring and I started to skip class, not give effort, etc.. To where now I'm not in school at all. =P I need to get into college soon. I want to major in webdesign. BTW when I was in 7th grade I was smart enough that I was one of the three chosen to go and take a college exam (the SAT), and I passed it with like a 2,420 or something if I remember right. xD No.. I'm not some retarded geek or nerd.. I'm just smart.

Wow, we sure have got off topic.

2420? Well... that would have been impossible because back then the scale was out of 1600, unless you took another test I don't know about. By the way, did it happen to be part of the TIP program? If it was I was in that too and got recognition in my state for it as well. *tries bringing topic back*

I don't believe intelligence has anything to do with gender. In my experience, females are better at creative things, such as English, art, etc. Males are better at math, science, and other analytical subjects. However, that doesn't mean that females can't do math or the other way around... but, if you were better at english than math, why would you bother putting effort into something you don't think you are good at or even enjoy? I think a lot of girls grow up with the idea that girls don't do math and science and just shy away from it even though they could do it if they tried. Academics isn't everything as far as intelligence goes either. Women are usually better at reading people's emotions and are better at working with them, for example.

I don't remember, I know I wasn't in any particular program to start with, they just kind of chose me out of thin air because I always aced the yearly exams (Taas, Taks, etc.. that our state had). I remember receiving letters from Duke University when I was only in third grade because of how I did on the Taas (Texas Accessment of Academy Success) test. Then I kept getting letters from the Whos Who Program too. Then like I said in 7th grade they wanted me to take the SAT. I don't remember my score on it, I thought it was 2,400 something but maybe I was wrong.. But I do know they said I passed it with a very high score.

If I hadn't started skipping and not doing my work etc.. I could have probably had a scholarship or something. Hehe.. ah well, too bad. No use crying over spilled milk. O.o Did I really just say that? <.<.<

It has been proven that women have 3% more brain usage than men. In my point of view there is no stronger sex. Men have more build and physical strength for hard labor, and women have more inteligence to be able to give to men the right judgement when the hormones are acting up. Generally (that means in most cases :/) speaking, Men succumb to hormones much more than women. That's why men think of sex more often, and of romance very little.

I don't remember, I know I wasn't in any particular program to start with, they just kind of chose me out of thin air because I always aced the yearly exams (Taas, Taks, etc.. that our state had). I remember receiving letters from Duke University when I was only in third grade because of how I did on the Taas (Texas Accessment of Academy Success) test. Then I kept getting letters from the Whos Who Program too. Then like I said in 7th grade they wanted me to take the SAT. I don't remember my score on it, I thought it was 2,400 something but maybe I was wrong.. But I do know they said I passed it with a very high score.

If I hadn't started skipping and not doing my work etc.. I could have probably had a scholarship or something. Hehe.. ah well, too bad. No use crying over spilled milk. O.o Did I really just say that? <.<.<

Yes... yes you did O.O

If it had anything to do with Duke... yeah I got dragged into that one also. I honestly don't remember what I got on it... just that I did better than 60% of high school seniors (which is pathetic, but whatever). Too bad you didn't put much effort into school, but you always have the chance to later on anyway. ^^

Women may use their brains more... but sometimes I wonder for what, cause men have more common sense a lot of the time... Well, I guess for technical things anyway. The other day I was at a Home Depot and this woman was trying to transport something on the roof of her car. The guy helping her said he was getting some string to tie it down... she looked at him and said, "What? I need to tie it down? ... It won't just stay there?" ... things like that I see a lot from women and it worries me T_T; I feel like sometimes women use the excuse of being female to not think about stuff like that... you know, seem stupid so men will feel sorry for them and do it.

Women may use their brains more... but sometimes I wonder for what, cause men have more common sense a lot of the time

Do they? Sometimes they may seem like they're doing stupid stuff, but you also have to keep in mind that they are way more prespective and sensible to their surroundings. So any little thing may eventually get to them. Someone once told me:

"If you ask a girl if she's alright and she answers yes, she just wants you to ask again."

Anyway, all we men use our "common sense" for usually relates either women with big breasts and a nice ass or proving we're a bigger male than the rest. It's pretty in the nature.

Well, I guess being a girl I'm more critical of other females because I know what goes through their minds a lot of the time. Guys have their problems but I always pass it off as "it's a guy thing"... where, when a girl does something stupid, I wonder why, because I know she should be able to use her brains without being clouded by thoughts of women or what-have-you.

I guess this is what I think: men are obvious about going after women and all that (I'm not sure how strict this forum is so I'm not going into detail). However, women do the same thing, even if its just a little less obvious, like the above example. If she acts stupid, men come to her rescue - which is what she wants because she wants attention from them. I have a problem with that, because I know deep inside she really isn't THAT stupid.

Yeah. But that's a generalisation of course. Not all women are the same, such as not all men are the same. But I do know a certain girl that is that way. And is simply unbearable to look at. That IS part of their intelligence and wit. Actually they're smarter than men for doing it. It's not something I'd ever consider doing or would ever like in a woman, but I'll give it to them, it is smart of them. Whereas men just follow women around like puppies 'till they actually "get fed". Another generalistion of course. I couldn't give a damn 'bout flirting, but let's face it, women love it, because they know men think they got them on their hands, when it's women who have the power.

Entirely true - it's smart of them to do it and women can easily manipulate men when they want to... but sometimes they can't tell when it's getting out of hand and for that they lack common sense.

Women like to have men wrapped around their fingers and you know it - so sometimes... they'll use that... uhh "food" to get what they want but all they are doing is leading a guy on... which can have consequences too (such as date rape). That's when a woman seems to lose all common sense. She shouldn't invite a guy to her bedroom and expect him to not think she means something... but women do it without thinking anyway.

Either way... both genders can be extremely stupid in different ways... it just seems to me a lot of women use the excuse that they are female to act the part of the victim or helpless person when in fact they aren't at all. Like you said, it is just a generalization, just like it is a generalization about men being the way they are, but it annoys me still.

Seeing how I hopped into this a little late, I dont know if this has already be covered.

The intelligence rate of either male or females cannot be measured accurately for multiple reasons.

First and foremost- The sexes surroundings.

In public schools especially, because they are co-ed, brilliant minds are way too often distracted because of relations.

In all seriousness this occurred with me 100%. Till about 5th grade I was straight As, star student, polite, bright individual. Than about the end of that year, I pretty much discovered girls.

I had always had "crushes" on girls, but not till 5th grade had the thought of a relationship came to mind.

And with that came the constant distractions.

In co-ed environments, it is extremely likely that a female person will diminish their own intelligence, as to not look nerdy.

Vise virsa a guy may do the same.

And what these distractions and suppressions can do is essentially lower ones intelligence.

So back to the point being, that when you think you could be measuring the intelligence of a person, you are not.

You would be measuring the possibly suppressed, battered and lowered intelligence of someone who was raised in an environment of society in which they have lowered themselves.

And going with what EO said about "What is intelligence?" She is absolutely correct.

Heres a prime example:

Here on the eastern coast we have two main test which help determine colleges, scholarships, standardized testing, etc.

These two are the:

SAT

and

ACT

I believe everyone has the SATs, but to sum it up: Its a test containing everything you have learned, and could possibly know. It has no weighted score, and a perfect score is one in ten million (about).

ACTs: This is the practical test. Containing all the knowledge that you will need to know for college, and none of the stuff you will never need again. It has a weighted score based on top X% scores.

And this is how it goes down:

A common occurrence is a good score on the SATs. A solid score that may let you get into the college of your choice, but probably with no financial aid.

BUT WAIT!

Here come your ACT results... and WHAT!!!!!!? 99 percentile!? Niiiice.

So now you can get into the school of your choice, with financial aid.

When sending your applications to colleges you can send either your ACT or SAT scores (they can obtain both scores if they wanted to though).

But this is what the colleges will see:

You're a good student in total knowledge,

but

You're an EXCELLENT student in practical knowledge.

So which makes you smarter?

Which one will help you down the road?

In life I have found one thing to be true.

Its always better to be quick, than smart.

You might not be the first one to solve the problem, but you'll know what the problem is to begin with.

I've never known any female to purposely make herself appear less intelligent, but I've never been terribly sociable with girls.

Most girls I have known were competitive to some extent and unwilling to compromise themselves for the sake of some one else's ego, in an effort to appear more feminine. Even those who were extremely popular with the guys didn't seem to be afraid to be better than them at something. And most guys I've had in classes weren't afraid to be better at things--last year when I took Independent Living last year, when we were working on sewing our quilts, one of the few guys in there sometimes gloated about his quilt being better than mine. >.> (It probably was, now that I think of it. I suck at sewing.)

If being intelligent and doing well in class prevented anyone from dating me, I'm certain they were never anyone I wanted to be around anyway. Who doesn't want an intelligent person anyway? =P There's a lot to learn.

I'm no eunuch, but I can't say that the presence of other people has ever affected my grades in any serious way. It may contribute to an off day or two, but I rarely hear of it being a serious detriment to anyone's performance at school, if ever. Usually sports (or other extra-curricular activities like debate, band, &c) and work are the issues people have when they start to slip in school, not because they're pitching tents in algebra.