What first got you sucked into anime and mangas?

Vonnie

In the middle of my first semester of college I became severely depressed. I wasn't going to class or anything, I just stayed in my room and played League of Legends all day and watched Netflix.

One night I was looking for something to watch on Netflix, I happened across an anime called "Dance in the Vampire's Bund", it was all over after that.

That lead to Elfen Lied, then to Higurashi, then to everything else. It's now one of my biggest hobbies.

I watched DBZ and Naruto as a kid, and a lot of Digimon in Animax. But what really "got me sucked" into anime and manga is when I first discovered HorribleSubs, which I think was year 2009, while searching for a site where I can download Naruto Shippuuden. I have no knowledge about fansub groups at that time so I solely relied on HS releases. Then I noticed that they also release not only Naruto but other anime as well, so I downloaded some, they were Brave 10 and Fairy Tail. And then I discovered bakabt, nyaa, and so on and so on. :)

...no idea..

uhm..

at some point i saw/got really into inuyasha on tv i assume

at some point i mustve seen shakugan no shana...then?..zero no tsukaima..then Elfen Lied??

order is beyond my memory.

...and...thats all...i dont know how i got to this point....where i eagerly await for eps to come out subbed...and check for dub release dates..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The anime that started it for me was Detective Conan. I was 6 and its kind of a more mature anime since theres murders but I really enjoyed it. Its still one of my favourite animes til this day~ As for manga, I started with Love Hina, not really understanding what was happening..

• 1 month later...

Well growing up I tried watching Cardcaptor Sakura as it was on TV but never finished the series. So one bored afternoon 2 months ago, I decided to finish it (15 years or so later). Then with a bit of browsing I discovered Sakura was in another anime called Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle. After that I just continued and now I'm watching a new series every week. Though I did watch Dragonball Z growing up but who didn't.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I was bored one day (about half a year ago and i was/am in my early twenties) and was looking for a new show to watch. Started browsing through "IMDB Top 250 TV" and saw there were several animes on that list. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was highes rated so i decided to start with that one just to see if i would like anime. I saw there was a 2003 FMA so i thought that was the first season and FMA brotherhood was 2nd season, so started with the 2003 version. Really loved the show (series+Conquerer of Shamballa), and then right aftewards watched Brotherhood, and got kinda confused when it was a reboot. Loved FMA Brotherhood even more tho (and it's still my favorit). And that's how my love of anime got started.

Started reading manga cus i wanted to know how Claymore ended, and have read several mangas after that. (Hate to read on the computer, so i have bought alot of manga collections)

I was maybe 12 and it was... well... the first season of Pokémon. After that ofc Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.

So I thought. It was not until recently that I noticed, that many of the animated tv series I watched as a child were in fact animes (didn't notice it back then due to the dub and not rly caring), e.g. Maya the Honey Bee (Mitsubachi Māya no Bōken), Moomin (Tanoshii Mūmin Ikka), Robin Hood (Robin Fuddo no Daibōken), Princess SaraStory of the Alps: My Annette (Arupusu Monogatari Watashi no Annetto), Alfred J. Kwak (Chiisana Ahiru no Ōkina Ai no Monogatari: Ahiru no Kwak) or Adventures of Pinocchio (Pikorīno no Bōken), just to name a few. I think the movie Birth was kinda the first movie I've ever seen, so my love for anime started in fact at a very young age. I think it were the dramatic elements in those series, that captured my attention. They just weren't present in the western animated shows, that's why they kinda felt boring compared to anime.

• 1 month later...

Just like most of everyone else, I started watching anime with DBZ and Naruto unknowingly. Later in my 7th grade, I got online trying to watch more episodes of Naruto since my country didn't air any new ones. Since then I discovered the world of anime and manga, and got hooked to it. I have watched so many animes that I have learnt to understand japanese without any subs now.

Watched Starblazers and Voltron probly at age 3 , 4 , and 5   It wasn't something i could do regularly but i would every chance i could.  Somewhere in that time i watched transformers up until i was 10 probably idk for sure ,but my parents were constantly nagging me to grow out of them >< " Does transformers count as anime?" Idk but they was liked by teens and toddlers alike in the U.S.  I remember my first birthday that i can recall ,because i had gotten optimus prime that birthday and Later after that i got jetfire\skyfire which is exactly like a robotech fighter, anyway back to my journey to becoming a anime addict. I guess it was around age 13-15  I seen a anime special on the Si Fi  channel it was showcasing vampire hunter d , robot carnival and lensman  very cutting edge at the time in the states, absolutely every cartoon in the US is so outdated at that point , those animes were mindblowing works of art. It was a subject of much discussion in my art class at the time. I  remember being told "we are looking at the future" by a older classmate as we checked out a drawing by a jp exchange  student, I looked at HER!!!!!! drawing and said meh it looks pretty good ,but,not as good as mine i said and went on to do' who knows what' i was doing that day lol ><  As i stepped away i was like ,"dang that was actually pretty damn good ...o-0   I could draw marvel comic book characters spot-on at that time with naughty hoe boots leatherwhips and so on using shading techniques instead of inking them in ... They were good enough that i got paid selling them to students at 20 dollars a picture. So, idk at the time I felt like my drawing skills was unmatched, but I think id be hard pressed to replicate what that jp student  had drawn and forget about drawing it without anything for reference, that picture was unlike anything i had ever seen before..  I cant remember if i got up to check that picture and get a double take or not lol ,but i remember the picture had a clean tight finish it might had been done with a dispencer type pencil the ones that you click them and refill with needles of lead. Erm, anyways the chick was good if not better than me i think i can admit that lol ^^ Oh and another honorable mention at the time would be project-AKO , and the one that really did it for me  was definately  "Bubble Gum Crisis" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  "Hands Down"  I new toons werent a feasable form of entertainment anymore and i had a serious addiction when i had to buy a single vol vhs anime that i could only manage to watch because it had eng subs.  It costed  $55.00 at that time which was absolutely insane !!!!  It's like the equivalent of now paying  $130.00 or more for single episode dvd without limited edition anything going on lol ><    I remember my mom was like "u sure u sure u wanna buy this ?"  "Thats a awful lot of money "... I think mom was worried about me or something lol she had to watch it with me lololol ^^  She even approved of it inspite of the nips and nudity lol ><      Not much has changed except i  have  gundam and harem now to watch. Gundam is the ultimate and never dissappoints. Anyone got a anime distributor or label in mind that you think did more for anime and put it on the map ?  For me it would be ADV and maybe a close second with U.S.Manga Corps.  Omg  that reminds me  M.D. Geist back when it was called "Thunder Warrior" xD