Star Ocean IV - The Last Hope

Koby

In the latest issue of the Japanese magazine, Famitsu, had some news about a new Star Ocean game! Yes, you heard it right. Square Enix will reveal the new game in the Star Ocean series next month in its Square Enix Party 2007 set on May 12 and May 13.

As far as to which platform the game will be developed for is still unknown. However I’d say it’d most likely see a release on the Playstation 3.

This news is pretty exciting, or at least to me, because I been wanting to see something besides all this talk about Final Fantasy XIII, and it lasting for the next decade. Now if only they’d release some information on a new Grandia series game.

For more Square Enix News check out Forgotten Memories webpage.

The first time I read this notification, I had to rub my eyes to see I wasn't seeing things. A Star ocean IV! I've been waiting years for this to be announced! Im anticipating the day when more info is realeased of this installment, even more so than Final Fantasy XIII itself. *Runs around screaming omg omg omg Star ocean nonsense*

• 3 weeks later...

Official news from the Square Enix Party 07, has said that Square Enix announced they were working on remakes of the first two Star Ocean games for the Playstation Portable (PSP). The first one being named Star Ocean: First Departure, and the second being named Star Ocean: Second Evolution. The remakes will contain new character designs, new playable heroes, voices, and movies.

They also talked a little about Star Ocean IV, though not much was said except confirming that they are working on it, and they showed a temporary logo with the words Star Ocean IV. They also said that it will not be named Star Ocean IV, thats just a title they have given the project until a name has been given, but it is the fourth title.

• 1 year later...

Anyone else play this at all? I've never played a Star Ocean game before (OMG!! O_O) so I decided to get this. Its pretty sweet. Looks like I'll be having fun with this one. Too bad it ain't comin to the PS3 though. Man, the PS3 ain't really gettin no good JRPGs.

I am at the last boss. I disliked SOTET, so this was a bit of a surprise. It is really good, and the story is good. I saw everything coming... as it came... but it was still good. Annoying stuff, got to the last boss, and I am low on Fresh Sage so now I have to run back (really long run) to get restocked on healing items. (what the hell... it is unrealistic to be able to carry 20 of everything you own, so what is the point of stopping at 20, might as well just make it 99...)

I've only ever played Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (Star Ocean 3) for the PlayStation 2. It was really good for quite a while although later (around the start of disc 2) became rather than, boring, and time consuming. The story reminded me of the Matrix.

If I ever get an X-BOX 360, Star Ocean: The Last Hope (Star Ocean 4), will definitely be one of the games I will look to get. But until then... I'm stuck with a PS2 and a GC.

Have fun playing SO4. =P

And damn.. this generation the PlayStation is really losing in the RPG department... all the RPG's besides FF Versus XIII seem to be going to the 360 or to both. So who even needs a PS3?

Yea, SE seems to have left Sony behind. In less than a yeas since E3 08, they have released 3 RPGs on the 360 and none on the PS3. The PS3 did get Disgaea 3 and Valkyria Chronicles just for them but I haven't played either. Its a shame that is has come to this. I guess Sony really is losing it because now the 360 is top choice for RPGs of this gen....and I didn't think that would happen.

• 10 months later...
The game is really good. I played the 3rd game on playstation 2 but never got passed disc 1 XD

Im on the 3rd disc on this game. Sucks my new xbox got 3 red rings so have to play it on moms xbox. I recommend this game to everyone especially the Ps3 international version thats out :D

I didn't know the 360 version had to be put on several discs. How many in total are there? If I remember correctly... I think I read somewhere that the PS3 version is on one disc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just got this game about a week or two ago with Final Fantasy XIII. I am almost to the point of where disc 2 would start if I was playing the X360 version, but I am playing the international version. The only extras exclusive to the PS3 version are:

Bilingual audio in english and Japanese

5 or so languages for menus and subtitles in-game (I believe English, Japanese, Italian, Spanish, and German, but I don't remember)

Added Anti-aliasing in battle (which the X360 version didn't have)

1 bluray disc rather than 3 DVDs

improved lighting effects

slightly increased difficulty to make the game more balanced. The X360 version was much easier than the PS3 international version

I believe there may be a few more features, but none of them are really major.

I would also recommend that if you want the PS3 version, you should get it as soon as you can. The international versions are usually sold in more limited amounts outside of Japan, since this is the first international release of a game that I know of released outside of Japan. When I got the game myself, I got the very last copy at the store and they don't expect to receive any more copies.

I want this game! -_-

Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time was an epic EPIC GAME!

I saw some previews for this game and drooled all over the battle system xD

I would love if this came out for the PC but sadly Square don't really port their games to PC

I own a Xbox 360 and PS3 but I'm cheap and would just download the game lmao

• 2 months later...

Star Ocean The Last Hope International, I just bought it for pss3 and was wondering if anybody on the forum has played it and their opinions on it, and maybe while I am at their thoughts on any star ocean for that matter. I have played Star Ocean Till the End of Time and I guess I want to know if last hope is anything like it.The reason I ask is it took me a rediculous amount of time to get through till the end of time and I wondered if The last hope was like it and I will be stuck alot like i was in till the end of time. (note: this is a secondary question)

I heard some people on GameFAQs say that the battle system in 3+4 of SO is basically a rip-off of the Tales of games' battle systems. I don't think it is, though. This game is basically the same as SO3 with the Battle System, but a few new and changed features, as well as some features being removed or made invisible, such as Fury (it is there, but invisible). The game, overall, is shorter than Till the End of Time. I think it is better, but some users on GameFAQs say that SO3+4 killed the series, which isn't true if you are a true fan of the series. The item creation system has been redone to make it more like a crafting system, like it should have been from the beginning, unlike in 3. Item effects have changed. Stun items no longer have a 100% stun chance. It is good, shorter and more difficult.