Convert the aspect ratio

Pacific85

3 hours ago, Pacific85 said:

Did you guys ever convert the aspect ratios of any files?

No.

There is only 2 ways to do it and both are dumb.

1. Crop the video.
  2. Stretch the video.

Cropping makes you lose a bunch of the image. While stretching the image distorts the aspect of the video and you end up making everything look really wide.

• Like 4

stuff like this is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to more widespread adoption of OLED. When people can't even see the black bars on the sides of 4:3 video I think they may be less likely to complain.

but then again that's horribly optimistic and I should know better by now...

On 26/11/2016 at 7:58 AM, Koby said:

That's the same as stretching/condensing the video. So it's doesn't get it's own number. :P

You change 4:3 to 16:9 you're gonna get some short yet wide people.

Lol. Your instructions were unclear earlier ;) (I had in my head that you were suggesting re encoding the video to a different aspect ratio).

Also you tend to get used to it if you watch the whole series at once... Honey and Clover comes to mind. IMPO

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

If the file is just encoded with a bad/wrong aspect ratio, I've found the fastest and easiest way is to just open it up with MKVToolNix (or use it to remux and do the following, if it isn't already an MKV file) and force the aspect ratio you want in the video stream parameters. 

The is basically instantaneous and doesn't degrade the quality by adding yet another generation of encoding to it.