College background and employment

ElementalCards

This is my personal thoughts/opinion. I don't have a college background, but I'm a full time temp at a monitoring clinic for quite some time now. That means no benefits, a union, and a civil service title that permanent employees have. 2 months ago, I took a clerical exam from the city that could potentially help me get a permanent employment elsewhere with better pay because the city won't hire you unless you take countless exams focusing on what you really want to excel at. In my case, I personally find office work and data entry to be straight forward, and you don't need a college background unless you aim for office administrative. A co worker told me that what you "study" in school won't be useful at a clerical-centered job and it's true. You just need to observe and learn and you're good to go.

So yeah, that's my two cents. Share your thoughts about this subject.

Looking from the outside In (From the UK), I can't even imagine what it would be like to have those kind of grounders all at the same time (I.e No benefit, Civil Service status without the power and peace of mind). I once worked in a place that demanded quite a lot from you in terms of duties except they weren't giving you the pay, insurance nor the real 'status' you should have aquired by now even though you have sat with them for a whole year yet no progression.  It sucks...

Anyways, my advice would be to always try to work on things that you truely know deep down you love with every fibre in your body; passionate and excited to perform the next task. Everybody is different here, even though we try to compartmentalise our selves into segregated groups based on personality, talent and lots more, we all are infinitely capable of distinguishing ourselves by a unique combination of skills and that is what makes you better as a person than say the next dude to walk in for the Job.

Bottom line is, your determination will shine through on your darkest of days if you know you are commited. Everything should be worthwhile and not just for the 'hell' of it.

I'm a musican, been playing drums since I was 12 and hit a brick wall around 22.. I had just injured my arm and had no way of playing the drums really. That is when I discovered that what I really love is not the rhythm in the beat, not the tone of the drums nor was it the feeling of playing.. For me it's all about control of the whole scope of the sound spectrum, sure the drum tone is important but what is more crucial is having the understanding that what I do in drums is only a part of who I am as a musican, it's actually much more engaging to have full reign of the way it ALL sounds...

I could list a whole load of things I have picked up from just changing my perspective! All I say is, search for that thing you love, it will be there someplace.

This is not mean't to deter you from what you are doing, just to give you a vastly different outlook from someone finding his way in the world too ;)

(albeit across the globe lol)

I hope it all works out for you, and nice chat ;)

Cheers :D

• 4 weeks later...

i was making 60k ish a year being in the military and extra pay from submarine pay.  It did burn me out tho how demanding  power school was so i went secf-sts.  So i want to go back to being a landlord and maybe cutting hair on the side.  I understand now that it does not have to be an exciting job just so i dont kill anyone.  If i trim a little bit too much hair off no one dies - if i scram the reactor at the right moment vital systems lose power including propulsion - everyone dies.  If i am late at sending out letters to a tennent and they skip out well i got there ssn and credit info no problem they can be tracked down or get a credit hit.  In the end no one dies and thats what im looking for at the moment.

What i look for:

the ability to work in cash to under report my funds to uncle sam

low stress

flexible hours

lowest amount of contact with humans possible

systems that are financially exploitable

60-80k year 20-30k reported

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I've just finished my degree, three years and I'm not sure what I've learnt exactly, and I know no one will care what degree I got  just where I went and that I went full stop, because that's all that matters now, it's like a mandatory step to getting a half decent job/getting taken seriously at family gatherings

Personally I think everyone needs to make their own choice about university, and employers need to pick the best person for a job not who has the most impressive education

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, tomnook123 said:

Everyone gets a degree now but they rarely get experience. Trade schools are better in my opinion unless you do some internships. It sucks to do internships for free though.

Same. I think too much expectation is being put on getting a college degree, and people are going deep in debt with no guarantee of getting a "good" job. Trade schools are a good option as there are more openings for skilled labor today (in America at least), because most don't want those jobs or have no clue how to do them well.

Get experience, internship or apprenticeship. A good resume/portfolio is stronger than a degree that says at least you got passing grades.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomnook123 said:

Everyone gets a degree now but they rarely get experience. Trade schools are better in my opinion unless you do some internships. It sucks to do internships for free though.

Especially if you end up doing nothing afterwards, but a seasonal summer job was bad too as it only lasted a few weeks and the pay was very mediocre.

• 11 months later...

Clearly there is a difference between majors, and blindly pushing a college degree of any kind on a generation was an oversimplification.

If you aren't using the things you studied, than your degree is only worth what it is worth to prospective employers.  Comparing two otherwise identical candidates, the one with a college degree may be considered to have demonstrated more initiative and/or commitment to their work, and those are traits that everyone likes in an employee.

There are definitely some jobs that you strictly cannot do without having studied that material, and a college degree is a very official stamp that says you've studied in an accredited curriculum.

Just in my experience, most of the people I know who went on to pursue "Higher Education" came out the other end looking for work in the same part-time, no benefits, low wage positions as everybody else, only they started looking four years later and with 100k of debt while the folks who started working out of high school had four years of real world experience, often times annual raises, no debt, and enough clout at their workplace to either demand full time or negotiate for a better situation with another employer. I think I can count on one hand the number of people from my graduating class who went to college and then went on to a job where they weren't being paid garbage.

• 4 weeks later...