Dragon Ball Super

Koby

• 4 weeks later...
On 8.10.2017 at 8:45 PM, tomnook123 said:

I find this series a bit disappointing. The power jumps are too much and the animation is not up to par.

I feel the same. In my opinion Dragon Ball GT was much better than Super.

But Super is canon, and GT not and that hurt my kokoro.

This battle royale is in my opinion, the first interesting arc of Dragon Ball Super that wasn't already done by one of the movies. However, the inconsistencies with power levels and transformations is really bugging me. At this point transformations are pointless and do nothing more than change the characters appearance or in most cases appearance stays the same but with a color palette swap or aurora color change. Super Saiyan 2 can beat Super Saiyan Blue (aka Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, lol glad they shortened that). I understand that Kale is technically a Super Saiyan Berserker like Broly and that SSJBerserker lies outside the natural progression of the Saiyan transformations though so I understand why a Potara Fusion would give Goku a run for his money in some regard... but just consider that Broly was beaten by SSJ2 Goku, SSJ2 Gohan, and SSJ Goten combined Kamehaha, then think about how much of a boost Super Saiyan God was originally suppose to be. It took 5 Saiyans tossing their power together to form SSJGod the first time. And also keep in mind how easily Beerus dispatched SSJ3 Goku. At one point they mentioned that Super Saiyan Red Goku was like equivalent to 80% of Beerus' full strength or rather something along the lines of Beerus saying he was only utilizing 80% of his strength or something to that effect. Anyways, so you'd think Super Saiyan Blue with Kaio Ken x10 would most likely be stronger than Beerus, yet they're acting like the only mortal stronger than any God of Destruction is Jiren. Somehow this newest transformation called "Ultra Instinct" makes Goku strong enough to take Jiren on, but really it's just Goku in base form appearance with the natural instinct of basically always knowing whats about to happen and being able to react in advance or some shit like that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, first-time poster.

Massive DB and Z fan, mainly for its nostalgia xD there are some far smarter anime's out there. With that said I have tried to watch super a few times and just can't get into it. It seems like just standard Dragon Ball formula, Villain shows up, Goku loses to Villain, Goku then trains somewhere for a while and then beats Villain. That and the transformations, when the Battle of Gods movie came out with Super Saiyan God I think that killed it for me, it basically cheapened that original classic Super Saiyan moment on Namek for me. Personally, I thought SSJ3 was too far.... Now I haven't watched any of the newer so its probably unfair for me to comment on it but all I see and hear about it are these red, blue, dark Super Saiyan levels, Gohan is still boring, animation doesn't have that same hand-drawn grunge to it.... I could go on forever.

A lot of my friends don't care about these things and want to watch it, what I want to know is, is there any redeeming quality for the most pessimistic 90's DB fan, or should I just give it a miss? xD

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 10:58 PM, Koby said:

This battle royale is in my opinion, the first interesting arc of Dragon Ball Super that wasn't already done by one of the movies. However, the inconsistencies with power levels and transformations is really bugging me. At this point transformations are pointless and do nothing more than change the characters appearance or in most cases appearance stays the same but with a color palette swap or aurora color change. Super Saiyan 2 can beat Super Saiyan Blue (aka Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, lol glad they shortened that). I understand that Kale is technically a Super Saiyan Berserker like Broly and that SSJBerserker lies outside the natural progression of the Saiyan transformations though so I understand why a Potara Fusion would give Goku a run for his money in some regard... but just consider that Broly was beaten by SSJ2 Goku, SSJ2 Gohan, and SSJ Goten combined Kamehaha, then think about how much of a boost Super Saiyan God was originally suppose to be. It took 5 Saiyans tossing their power together to form SSJGod the first time. And also keep in mind how easily Beerus dispatched SSJ3 Goku. At one point they mentioned that Super Saiyan Red Goku was like equivalent to 80% of Beerus' full strength or rather something along the lines of Beerus saying he was only utilizing 80% of his strength or something to that effect. Anyways, so you'd think Super Saiyan Blue with Kaio Ken x10 would most likely be stronger than Beerus, yet they're acting like the only mortal stronger than any God of Destruction is Jiren. Somehow this newest transformation called "Ultra Instinct" makes Goku strong enough to take Jiren on, but really it's just Goku in base form appearance with the natural instinct of basically always knowing whats about to happen and being able to react in advance or some shit like that.

If you're not familiar with Dragon Ball, then what you said will confuse the hell out of people. :D

I agree with what you say by the way. I haven't enjoyed this show pretty much from the beginning. Honestly, if it wasn't for the already huge fanbase, i think this show would have failed miserably. The transformations are ridiculous in super, they all have stupid names too. I know there were a lot in DBZ, but it was more fresh back then. We can't seem to go more than 10 episodes without some silly new form and the characters acting all stunned because of it.

Since the early episodes of this show, i have been saying it's the worst thing thing to ever happen to the franchise.....i still feel the same way now. People have said it has improved a lot since the early episodes, but i think they are deluding themselves. It's improved a tiny bit, but it's still a load of rubbish. Once it ends and people look back on it in a few years, i think they see it for what it really is.

• 3 weeks later...

4 episodes to go till series either ends or goes on an indefinite hiatus.
Goku, Vegeta, and Freiza vs. Jiren is all that is left.

Didn't expect 17 to off himself permanently, but given that I suspect the Super Dragon Balls will be used to bring all the people deleted / killed off during the ToP back like as if the ToP never happened, it made less of an impact. Which is why shows like this that can simply reset them-self at the end of an arc don't seem to invoke as much emotional depth.

I can't really see them going the route of U7 winning simply due to numbers, but at the same time Jiren should pretty much own U7 at this point unless Goku either goes Ultra Instinct again or Goku & Vegeta randomly decide to use Potara after all. Which could possibly be a thing given that Vegeta haphazardly suggested he was willing to do "anything it took to win" in this latest episode. But again, I can't really see that happening either. I feel like it's most likely they're gonna have Goku vs. Jiren with Goku beating him somehow in the last moment to seal the deal.

1 hour ago, Koby said:

...unless Goku either goes Ultra Instinct again or Goku & Vegeta randomly decide to use Potara after all. Which could possibly be a thing given that Vegeta haphazardly suggested he was willing to do "anything it took to win" in this latest episode.

If Goku and Vegeta fuse, they will have to do it via the traditional method being the fusion dance, as using the Potara would be considered cheating due to the fact that they would need to actually get it from one of the Kais (which would be considered cheating and thus instant erasure of the offending universe). Unless of course I'm forgetting some event where they got them before hand??. Black Goku FTW!!!

5 minutes ago, Moodkiller said:

If Goku and Vegeta fuse, they will have to do it via the traditional method being the fusion dance, as using the Potara would be considered cheating due to the fact that they would need to actually get it from one of the Kais (which would be considered cheating and thus instant erasure of the offending universe). Unless of course I'm forgetting some event where they got them before hand??. Black Goku FTW!!!

It was previously allowed during this Tournament of Power and ruled okay. At the time Goku and Vegeta scoffed at the idea however. Some of the other universes at the time though debated following suit and doing the Potara fusion, but I cannot remember which exact episode it was.

1 minute ago, Koby said:

It was previously allowed during this Tournament of Power and ruled okay. At the time Goku and Vegeta scoffed at the idea however. Some of the other universes at the time though debated following suit and doing the Potara fusion, but I cannot remember which exact episode it was.

You referring to the time where female Brolly and Super Saiyan chick used it to fuse?? If so, that was ruled okay because they entered the ToP with them on their person - and of course it wasn't declared a weapon. Hm, although the end of Ep114 and start of Ep115 goes through the explanation actually... yeah I see now it was ruled it to be allowed.

5 minutes ago, Moodkiller said:

You referring to the time where female Brolly and Super Saiyan chick used it to fuse?? If so, that was ruled okay because they entered the ToP with them on their person - and of course it wasn't declared a weapon. Hm, although the end of Ep114 and start of Ep115 goes through the explanation actually... yeah I see now it was ruled it to be allowed.

Ah yes, thanks for the episode number. Episode 115 at 5:20 through 6:03 Beerus accuses Champa of cheating for using them, they bicker, then Zeno says it's all cool and it's ruled acceptable, so Beerus tries to take Supreme Kai's Potara, while two other Universes' say they don't need to do it. Then at 7:20 through 8:03 Beerus has them in his hand and Supreme Kai suggests that they have 17 & 18 use them while Krillin isn't having it (lol). Supreme Kai even suggests calling then 35 (haha), but Whis reminds them all that fusion lowers their numbers so Beerus says forget it. Then at 8:05 through 8:55 another universe suggests they use it because none of their warriors could beat Jiren or Goku on their own, and they toss the Potara to their warriors but they get knocked off the ring before successfully putting them on their ears. So it's certainly been ruled to be allowed.

15 minutes ago, Koby said:

Ah yes, thanks for the episode number. Episode 115 at 5:20 through 6:03 Beerus accuses Champa of cheating for using them, they bicker, then Zeno says it's all cool and it's ruled acceptable, so Beerus tries to take Supreme Kai's Potara, while two other Universes' say they don't need to do it. Then at 7:20 through 8:03 Beerus has them in his hand and Supreme Kai suggests that they have 17 & 18 use them while Krillin isn't having it (lol). Supreme Kai even suggests calling then 35 (haha), but Whis reminds them all that fusion lowers their numbers so Beerus says forget it. Then at 8:05 through 8:55 another universe suggests they use it because none of their warriors could beat Jiren or Goku on their own, and they toss the Potara to their warriors but they get knocked off the ring before successfully putting them on their ears. So it's certainly been ruled to be allowed.

Indeed. Well it will be interesting to see what happens in the coming episodes. Im particularly interested in what Freiza is going to do (or not do). He has been the highlight of this whole ToP, such a troll. Well if nothing happens between Goku and Vageta, my money is on some form of a "Black Goku" appearing but who knows.