Elitism: How bad is it?

Bardon

Sooooo throwing a bone here towards all you fans out there, how many instances have you encountered such behavior? And to what extent? 

There's a certain friend of mine who I recently discovered that not only is she fairly new to anime/manga, but was unlucky enough to not be around many "friendly" peeps of the fandom. Heck according to her, all she's ever witnessed among fans were supposed elitists who rather than be productive or helpful in her venture, only berated her and made it all look as if the whole franchise itself is something exclusive to a super elite club of some kind.

I tried to convince her otherwise but her experience has fixated her towards this notion, which kinda makes me sad. My concern is mostly towards the anime/manga base, but overall what point is there? Why would peeps drive off newbies in such a manner? Share your experiences and cents regarding this if any of ya has any.

People are dicks. Never watch something because you want to be part of it's fandom, just watch it because you want to. Hopefully Bardon will be good friend and make up for all the weebs this person has encountered by giving them some cool suggestions and such.

There can be elitism in anything in anything with a fan base in reality, it just needs someone who's so particular about it and think they know/have the best. As far as elitism in the anime/manga community, I've never seen it because I've only really used general forums like Cartoon world/kametsu, and when I have used specific forums it's generally been frowned upon so the community was good

Its generally most common in sub/dub debates (flame wars), and when discussing mainstream shonen titles like Naruto or Bleach.

Because of its somewhat limited exposure in the west, when anime fans look for more diverse shows, they have to sort of actively research--so in a sense they are (or believe they are) more in touch than the average fan of a specific genre. This may lead to a sense of superiority/elitism/being a total dick.

Avoid these people. I can assure you that non-weaboo anime fans do in fact exist. If you look around outside when the the sun is out, you are much less likely to encounter weebs. I also recommend going to anime cons, you'll meet some very interesting and cool people.