Windows 10 Home edition

professa X

I wish the stupid pop ups telling me to reserve my copy of WinX would go away...

I don't think there is any reason or need for me to update from Win7.

There's no reason to upgrade unless you use your PC for gaming and really want DX12. Even then, I don't think any DX12 games are out yet. Everything else about 10 is literally a downgrade. The interface is ugly (crappy start menu/no Aero Glass), there's a shit load of privacy violations, and you have a lot less control over the OS itself (forced updating, some registry stuff, etc). Windows 7 is still going to get security updates until 2020 too.

This should help you remove the Windows 10 stuff from 7:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/64561-Remove-Telemetry-and-Windows-10-Related-Updates-from-Windows-7/

Edited by Nintendon't
  • Like 1

I wish the stupid pop ups telling me to reserve my copy of WinX would go away...

There's no reason to upgrade unless you use your PC for gaming and really want DX12. Even then, I don't think any DX12 games are out yet. Everything else about 10 is literally a downgrade. The interface is ugly (crappy start menu/no Aero Glass), there's a shit load of privacy violations, and you have a lot less control over the OS itself (forced updating, some registry stuff, etc). Windows 7 is still going to get security updates until 2020 too.

This should help you remove the Windows 10 stuff from 7:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/64561-Remove-Telemetry-and-Windows-10-Related-Updates-from-Windows-7/

Should put it under a separate thread

Edge...maybe? Idk. I updated cuz I wanted something new.

if u want try something new os ..first install on virtual box or Vmware softwere ..check on it.. if u find new then update u r os ..

• Like 1

if u want try something new os ..first install on virtual box or Vmware softwere ..check on it.. if u find new then update u r os ..
Yea. I don't like vm ware much. It's pretty strenuous on my system. Idk if windows 10 could be dl for free. I know its a free update if u have 7 or 8 but not a separate download. Any who I'm a hypocrite for installing windows 10 after warning everyone. But considering what john said about SaaS. It kinda makes sense why the went with that route, not entirely sure (I am still fuzzy as to what the previous deployment model was and how it differed and why they couldn't implement the same strategy of SaaS). And I could be wrong but Windows hadn't screwed me over before windows 7, at least not in a serious manner (vista smh). And maybe I'm foolish for this but from what I read i don't think I would be affected. I dont dll windows games and i opted out of the ceip program and went ahead ahead disabled the still running telemetry task (that was the only thing that irked bit thankfully there are people who dedicate time to figure out what the different updates install).

But again I could be entirely naive and ignotant.

Well u right koby ..after windows 7 Microsoft change their purposes from desktop to touch ..still they concentrated on making touch Ui. ..Also they forgot whole PC depend only mouse and keyboard ...

Well window 8 and window 10 main purpose targeting tablet and touch PC also their no better feature added both Os ..same as like as window 7 expect direct X..@June 2015, net marketshare is 61% for window 7....For windows 8 and 8.1 is only 15% ...For window 8 still gain by only lasted laptopes comes window 8 as default os ..well my both PC have window 7 but lappi come with win 8 default during buy..I want change to window 7 by add dual boot option but failed Gpt partions style ..waiting for os when it broken, or damage to change 7

[emoji1] ...

Yea. I don't like vm ware much. It's pretty strenuous on my system. Idk if windows 10 could be dl for free. I know its a free update if u have 7 or 8 but not a separate download. Any who I'm a hypocrite for installing windows 10 after warning everyone. But considering what john said about SaaS. It kinda makes sense why the went with that route, not entirely sure (I am still fuzzy as to what the previous deployment model was and how it differed and why they couldn't implement the same strategy of SaaS). And I could be wrong but Windows hadn't screwed me over before windows 7, at least not in a serious manner (vista smh). And maybe I'm foolish for this but from what I read i don't think I would be affected. I dont dll windows games and i opted out of the ceip program and went ahead ahead disabled the still running telemetry task (that was the only thing that irked bit thankfully there are people who dedicate time to figure out what the different updates install).

But again I could be entirely naive and ignotant.

well i thinking nowdays  mircosoft playing trump card by throwing windows 10 free update to get rid privacy issue and  Copyright infringement ..they didnt thinking what are they doing ..they breaking consumer expectation.... well giving automatically update and new feature is good things  but doing forcefully  is bad thing and not providing disable options  ... their must option to disable it  Also they Expressing how many download( likes 1billion) windows 10  from their server to make user to update os by using their naive and ignotant  consumer feeling...also i dont think it affect their marketshare if mircosoft keep free or paid...also windows 10 is never free  ...if u r windows 7 or 8 is  genuine then after update it remains active otherwise u window remains trials for 15day or 1 months ..simply short tell they want get rid of Copyright infringement and Earn more money

OFFTOPIC....

Edited by EonJone

I agree there implementation is forceful. There current structure is forceful in antipiracy measures and updates. They need to do some big changes to regain brand loyalty

The way it is set. It is no longer a software you own but rather a service subscribe to. You don't own windows u subscribe to the software. That really makes privacy and sharing a moot point

Edited by professa X

Windows 10 on a touch device is amazing, a lot more fluid than Windows 8 that's for sure. I just installed Windows 10 onto my tablet and I really like the experience of the tablet UI mode. Then again, it's all subjective. Some people say Windows 8 was better for a touch screen, since they had fullscreen metro apps, but I digress especially if you also want to use your tablet as a laptop, as the experience is more seamless.

Also about VMware, it's probably the best virtualisation software you can use at the moment. Oracle's VirtualBox has issues, especially if you need it for some weird UNIX or Linux distro.

I currently run a few Linux distros on VMware, so I know from experience.

• Like 1

Windows 10 on a touch device is amazing, a lot more fluid than Windows 8 that's for sure. I just installed Windows 10 onto my tablet and I really like the experience of the tablet UI mode. Then again, it's all subjective. Some people say Windows 8 was better for a touch screen, since they had fullscreen metro apps, but I digress especially if you also want to use your tablet as a laptop, as the experience is more seamless.

Also about VMware, it's probably the best virtualisation software you can use at the moment. Oracle's VirtualBox has issues, especially if you need it for some weird UNIX or Linux distro.

I currently run a few Linux distros on VMware, so I know from experience.

Sorry. I should have used the right term. I meant virtual machine software not the actual VMware. And head I do like the software. It runs very well on my laptop much better then 7 did. And like u said its up to user. The way i use i should be fine. And I disabled the the tracking stuff. I monitor my computer like a hawk for random data mining services.

True about Virtual Machines not running well on lower end devices. Well actually Virtualisation would run like shit if your CPU does not support Virtualisation, which a lot of CPUs don't unless you're buying more high end ones, or enterprise level ones like Xeon.

Surprisingly my 4.5W CPU (Core M 5Y10C) on my tablet has Virtualisation support which is nice. But I wouldn't be running any full on OSes, as RAM is the limiting factor. You actually need 16GB minimum to run a few OSes at the same time, with a half decent CPU that supports Virtualisation.

• Like 1

True about Virtual Machines not running well on lower end devices. Well actually Virtualisation would run like shit if your CPU does not support Virtualisation, which a lot of CPUs don't unless you're buying more high end ones, or enterprise level ones like Xeon.

Surprisingly my 4.5W CPU (Core M 5Y10C) on my tablet has Virtualisation support which is nice. But I wouldn't be running any full on OSes, as RAM is the limiting factor. You actually need 16GB minimum to run a few OSes at the same time, with a half decent CPU that supports Virtualisation.

Well that sure explains alot [emoji14]

I learn something new everyday!

Mad props for the knowledge!

There is always going to be a way around updates and making them not happen if you don't want, whether it be third party software or a mod or registry change, but don't expect the best security or full use of your operating system. (Not saying you can't still get full use out of it, but don't expect it) You make it more vulnerable than it already is when its not updated.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up like Apple or Sony PlayStation. You can choose not to update whether it be an easy setting, third party software or a mod, but when you go to use a certain program or feature, it's not going to work without the update being applied and will tell you to update in order to use it or get it to work. That would probly annoy countless people who weren't born and raised on Windows 10.

Unless Windows 10 gets a change or update that I actually like, I will probly stick with Windows 7, Windows 8.0, and virtual machines for all the older ones like I currently do.

• Like 1

Relevant to your question earlier: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/microsoft-accused-of-adding-spy-features-to-windows-7-8/

It goes over the features/programs that report back to Microsoft in more detail than I could be bothered doing at the time~

It also lists some updates that you might want to uninstall. I did and my system still works. Then again, I'm using an Enterprise SKU, so it might not affect me as much as Pro/Ultimate/whatever users.

Good news:

Apparently there is a downloadable tool to control your updates. The caveat is that after download you can use, u can't use at the time of updating. But still better than nothing! And it's from Microsoft so maybe thats worth something...

http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

That's what I was talking about when I said 'There's no decent way of selecting which updates to install, but is entirely possible.' The only problem is that I don't know if it's possible to disable automatic downloading of updates on regular Enterprise/Pro SKU's. I've only tried it on the LTSB branch.

There is a way. It's kinda convoluted. Essentially u need two things: under windows update select "advanced options" then under "choose how updates are installed" select "notify to schedule". Then change your connection to metered (WiFi only I think). Also u might want to turn off the p2p feature that makes it pc a node Edited by professa X

Well I'm using the Enterprise SKU of Windows 10. There is only an option of deferring "upgrades", probably is still better to use that tool to prevent the updates you don't want to be installing.

d339687650.png

Which option isn't available? You gotta go to the internet network settings. For WiFi you click the advance options and there u will have the metered option. Also on the image you put up u will see "choose how updates are delivered" click that and you will have the options to be part of the p2p network.

Metered option doesn't work on Ethernet. And that only applies to non Enterprise level SKU Windows 10.

Also I wouldn't want to be part of a P2P network, since fuck that. You be uploading updates for other people as well.

From what I understand, deferring upgrades just mean you won't be installing new features other than the required security updates. Hence why I said it's a better idea to use that hide updates tool if you really want to prevent those updates from installing into your OS.

• Like 1