Disposable Email Addresses are NOT Permitted

Koby

Any members caught registering with disposable email addresses (DEA's) or using them will have the account banned when we catch it. A lot of DEA's are added to our blacklist filter stopping users from registering with them from the get-go; but as with anything, new DEA's are created daily and many are not added to our list still. Let this thread serve as a warning to anyone attempting to register or use one.

Use a real email address or suffer the consequences.

Another of most obnoxious aspects of being a forum owner — probably second only to spam — are trouble members. Pretty much any site of a decent size will attract trolls, vandals, troublemakers or (insert bad word here!) at some point in time. Most of them go away once banned, but not always. Some of them come back, using alternate emails — fake emails.

Others bypass your site policies on registration, using various junk addresses.

Yet more try to use it for spam.

The problem with disposable emails — DEAs according to Wikipedia — is that it makes getting an email easy. At least with Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc, the spammer or troublemaker has to put up with some degree of inconvenience, too. Not to mention you can report it as abuse, and the email providers can communicate with their ISP if needed.

I believe he is referring to those temporary email accounts that you can use for a couple of minutes to gain access to forums etc... They only last a couple of minutes before they expire. Some give you the option to add a couple of extra minutes if you need more time.

You can also create multiple accounts this way in a few seconds, as the site automatically creates the temporary email for you, only really changing a few letters/numbers.

But you can use them to confirm registration, etc (basically anything a standard email account can do).

It would be really useful for spammers/hackers/leechers for obvious reasons.

Edited by Anon316

I use my email the same as DarkDream787 does lol. But i do also use it to sign up for samples and to enter contest as well.

I do think that I need a better understanding of this because this is the 1st time I have ever seen any thing about a disposable email.

Basically an email address that is not permanent. Here today and gone tomorrow, an example of this other than what Koby stated is 10 minute mail.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, how is it you are able to determine where someone is using a disposable email address? I suppose the @domain.com part is recognisable as a place to get disposables?

I ask this because I have about twenty different email addresses for each site, online service or game that I'm signed up to. e.g. one for facebook and one for skype. This site too has a separate email. I do have an email client program that checks them for new emails every so often, but other than that, I don't actually use them. So, would my Kametsu email be classed as "disposable", simply because I rarely if ever actually use it?

If so...I'm not going to stop this practice. Having separate email addresses is actually great for security, since it means that if one address is hacked, I only (temporarily) lose access to only that one email. I still have a master email that literally no-one apart from me knows about where I can send a password request to.

-_-

A disposable email address is one you have absolutely no way of accessing after a 10 minute time span or one that doesn't require a username/password to log into.

If you're email address is one you can log into years down the road, or even just days later; it's not disposable and you have nothing to worry about.

What you are doing is perfectly fine Rikuo.

Basically services like yahoo, msn, hotmail, gmail, mail, etc.. are good.

Services like Mailinator, 10minutemail, etc.. are what is not allowed.

• Like 1

Out of good faith I wouldn't ever use a disposable email for sites like kametsu. I think its just disrespectful that u can't even truthfully give them a proper email. Anywho that's just me. I use garbage emails for those stupid offers for free program downloads. its like trying to win the lottery it almost never works!

It's stuff like this and proxies that used to grind my gears as a forum owner back in the day. I feel like it's easy to gauge (most of the time) who is and isn't using one based on their behaviors on the forum, at least if their overall goal is spamming the page.

• 2 weeks later...

-_-

A disposable email address is one you have absolutely no way of accessing after a 10 minute time span or one that doesn't require a username/password to log into.

If you're email address is one you can log into years down the road, or even just days later; it's not disposable and you have nothing to worry about.

Yahoo and some of the other services will deactivate the account if you don't access it over a extended period of time.

Out of good faith I wouldn't ever use a disposable email for sites like kametsu. I think its just disrespectful that u can't even truthfully give them a proper email. Anywho that's just me.

Are you a uploader? Some of us would rather not use our main email to give direct evidence to copyright feds for full authority to shove their hand up our ass.

I remember someone on C-W got in to some shit and had to change their name, stopped using twitter and wasn't as public about their releases as they were before.

disposable are emails that expire in like minutes. of course im not using an email attached to my name.

-_-

Yahoo and some of the other services will deactivate the account if you don't access it over a extended period of time.

Out of good faith I wouldn't ever use a disposable email for sites like kametsu. I think its just disrespectful that u can't even truthfully give them a proper email. Anywho that's just me.

Are you a uploader? Some of us would rather not use our main email to give direct evidence to copyright feds for full authority to shove their hand up our ass.
I remember someone on C-W got in to some shit and had to change their name, stopped using twitter and wasn't as public about their releases as they were before.

I've had one yahoo email address since like 2002 and hadn't accessed it since like 2008. I just went and was able to login to it. So I kind of doubt they actively terminate inactive accounts, but even if they do, it doesn't really matter.

There are a lot of reasons to not allow DEAs but here are just a few:

1. Allows spambots easy access to tons of accounts.

2. Account security. - Anyone can access a DEA usually so they can easily change your pass and take over your account.

3. Allows bad users to rapidly create accounts to spam, flame, troll, ban evade, etc.

I realize regular emails can still be abused as well, but it slows them down having to actually go through the process of creating new emails, rather than them being just a single click away. The extra hassle deters some people from bothering.

Anyhow I've banned at least another 30 to 40 users in the last couple days, mostly new accounts that got through with DEAs that hadn't been put on the blacklist filter (thanks for helping me build that list up, lol).

Some of us would rather not use our main email to give direct evidence to copyright feds for full authority to shove their hand up our ass.

This forum software does not allow direct user access to email addresses. Only moderator and above can view them. The exception to this is if you fill out the 'Contact Methods' part to your forum profile.

• Nekone locked this topic