MangaTrader's and MAL compromised

Renzourin

in recent news it appears that mangatrader.com has had an exploit on it and the entirety of their userbase's passwords and emails have been stolen as a result someone used the acquired passwords to hack into MYanimelist(MAL) as well

change your passwords immediately and to anything else that youve used the passwords for

heres MT's official statement

Early on June 09th 2014 EDT we discovered that someone had gained unauthorized access to our web server. All the contents of our database were downloaded and released to the internet. This data included private user information such as email addresses and obscured passwords for all registered users. Anyone that used the same password for MT as for any other online services should change their passwords as soon as possible. Your online accounts could be compromised if malicious users reverse engineer your MT password from this data dump and log into your other accounts.

The site will remain offline until we can implement a more robust system for maintaining password integrity at which time all users will be required to change their passwords. We believe the attacker gained access to the site's database through the forums so they will remain offline indefinitely while we investigate possible alternatives.

We deeply apologize for this incident and all the inconvenience it has caused and hope to move past it and come back safer and more secure than ever. It has been a trying few weeks for Mangatraders but we've weathered storms in the past and we'll weather this one as well.

Thank you all for your time and support. The Mangatraders.com Staff

What forum software did MangaTraders use and where did you hear that MAL was compromised?

i heard from a reddit topic about it several people including some from mal were discussing it but as for believing it, im inclined to believe it considering peoples stupidity with passwords, it was apparently done and let me check

http://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/27onlv/mangatraders_has_been_hacked/

this was the topic that i read up on that had most of the info

Man, I hope I don't start getting virusses in my email, as for the password, they are different on each site.

But why are all these sites being compromised?

Well, its likely that there are a lot of bored people who know how to use a computer. Once heartbleed became public, people with less knowledge wanted to copy the feats.