New User Flow

Astral_Goddess

I'm new to. More than likely i'll be a regular :) I was a member on another forum for roughly 8 years on and off. But, it got boring and inactive and lacked posts/threads and staff involvement. So, i found a new place.... Here.

One thing i noticed about here, when i made my intro thread, people weren't very welcoming. I think i got only a few responses. It would be good if more members frequented and said hello/welcome in the intro threads.

The problem with the Seed Hallway is that there are so many posts every day, and almost all of them are just "Hi, thanks for having me" or "I'm just here to download". I personally just stick to the other boards unless they have questions or interesting comments. Either way, hello!

Also there used to be people who posted in every single thread, but then it was also very obvious that they were just copy-pasting and slightly changing a template welcome, plus you would get 30 odd threads bumped at once. Better this way, where only those who are interested in posting do.

If you want people to welcome people more, get the new members to actually go back and read their intro threads. I don't welcome all the time; but when I do, the topic starter doesn't ever come back to read or respond. 95% of the intro threads are by users who'll likely never post again who've simply joined and posted an intro to leech the downloads we offer.

People complained about 15 spammish posts; we lower it to simply an intro; now people are complaining about too many intros. :/

If you want people to welcome people more, get the new members to actually go back and read their intro threads. I don't welcome all the time; but when I do, the topic starter doesn't ever come back to read or respond. 95% of the intro threads are by users who'll likely never post again who've simply joined and posted an intro to leech the downloads we offer.

People complained about 15 spammish posts; we lower it to simply an intro; now people are complaining about too many intros. :/

Nobody is ever satisfied, eh Koby?  Sheesh.  I never minded the new posts requirement way back when I joined, indeed for the level of materials being offered I found it a more than reasonable/fair request/requirement to meet (and if I am remembering correctly back then it was 50 posts needed, not 15, but I may be misremembering, it has been a long time after all).  I've never understood these folks who find it so difficult to deal with/take.  You do make a very valid point about the welcome threads though, it becomes very unsatisfying to read a newcomer post, respond to it, and never see them respond to your welcome, so after a while why would anyone do so?  I would have thought that was rather obvious, but then maybe I'm showing my age on that one.

General:

Koby is correct folks, I find little point in reading the Seed directory for the reason he stated, I find it much better to welcome new people when I do in the various threads I encounter them.  As was noted by Rensourin already the forums took a few hits between the infamous night of the long knives aka the Megaupload Great Delete followed by issues with sustainable stable internet hosting for a time (as these things happen, no slight on Koby from me about it, these things happen and if you do not have the patience and the will to wait until thing settle down that is on you in my books) making it difficult to hold conversations in the forums.  Now me,I've been mostly quiet for the past year, year and a half, but that was more because of things in my personal life than due to any fault with Kametsu.  I still try to contribute every so often though, but I tend to be one of the more long winded blowhards that frequents this site so many people find my comments too dense to bother reading (and then some go on to criticize it for length as opposed to content, something I find a little sad to be honest), as I come from an older school of writing.  Hardly surprising since I finished public school well before the rise of the internet beyond it being a text only tool for University students, I was already in my mid to late 20s when the World Wide Web/GUI revolution happened and the internet truly came into its own.

As to the thread question itself, seeing new people posting and coming from another forum which I gather was shut down is a good thing, especially if it goes beyond just the uploader/downloader side and puts some new life into the forums, which from what I have seen lately it does appear to have, which is in part why I've chosen to resume making the odd comment here and there.  Like with so many other things in life the forums are a place where what you get out of it depends greatly on what you are willing to put into it.  I am not one to make a lot of tiny/short posts somewhere, I tend to write longer comments that try to fully address my thoughts on the issue(s) at hand in what used to be called essay form writing, because that was how I was raised/taught, and because it is the way my mind/brain is most comfortable working as I have severe ADHD (I know, it seems odd that someone with severe attention deficeit disorder makes very long comments requiring serious attention to create/read, but it is what it is, my verbal conversation is the same, short and pithy are two things I am almost never accused of being), I am fairly high functional for it but it still warps me in various ways.

So I hope the various new users enjoy their time here and in the forums and I will or will not interact in the various conversations as I inevitably chose to do, if they interest me, if my daily life leaves me inclined to do o.  I will say this about Kametsu though, out of all the various internet forums I have been around in the last couple of decades I personally have found this one to be the one I've enjoyed the most both on the conversational topic level AND for the people who have graced me with serious discussions over the years, which is why I still read and occasionally post in these forums to this day.  This is a wonderful site for more than just excellent Eng audio anime to download, although it is also wonderful fore that as well in my opinion, but it truly is more than that for me and for many others, even if the threads had been fairly quiet as of late.

Great I didn't know. And here I'm waisting my time responding to their posts, when all they want is to bloody download.

Thanx for telling, now I know not to waist my time with idiots like them who won't respond even when you post on their thread.

Of course people would complain, it's a lose-lose situation for us. If we had some sort of system established or, hell, even a Thank You feature (even better a restriction to how much they can leech off in a day, which would include the ability to disable the Copy feature so people won't take the easy way out) people would think twice about leeching 100% and contributing or actively being here 0%.

Of course people would complain, it's a lose-lose situation for us. If we had some sort of system established or, hell, even a Thank You feature (even better a restriction to how much they can leech off in a day, which would include the ability to disable the Copy feature so people won't take the easy way out) people would think twice about leeching 100% and contributing or actively being here 0%.

Its better if only those who are actually interested in posting are the ones who post. This way we can have actual conversation, and it will keep the forums clean and happy. I personally come back here since I enjoy chatting with other users, just as Bluenoser states above, but it wouldn't really be great to have piles of spammy comments in between the real posts. Better that they stick to the Seed Hallway, and those who come to stay will be the ones I see on a regular basis and chat. Only those who post will get my greetings!

As for Koby's comment, people will always complain. Still, this is certainly the lesser of two evils and I personally prefer having the spam in only a couple places rather than spread all around.

A general rule of thumb i use for the SeeD Hallway is if they have a sig/av and if their first post is quality. Then, i may get the urge to respond. But, i do notice many of the users who make threads in the SeeD Hallway have maybe a total of 10 words, if that, in their post. So i can see where you guys are coming from. I guess what I'm getting at is, for those members that could actually be worth some 'substance' rather than just leeching. It may be worth just saying hi. That's all. :-P

With the leeches/downloading thing... Maybe you could make a post limit? Like, a certain amount of posts a user has to make before gaining access to the downloads. Idk, if that's even possible. But -- we might run into more spam that way.

They already did. The post limit was 15 post then you're free to download.

Now I think they've changed it to one post in the SeeD hallway, which is why the SeeD Hallway is full of users.

Just confirming that it was 15 posts originally. Although this way we would see 15 one word posts and things like that, so better to reduce the spam and only those who want to chat will remain. Come for the downloads, stay for the community.

As for the one post, its anywhere other than the Forum Games section, not just in the Seed Hallway

They already did. The post limit was 15 post then you're free to download.

Now I think they've changed it to one post in the SeeD hallway, which is why the SeeD Hallway is full of users.

Just confirming that it was 15 posts originally. Although this way we would see 15 one word posts and things like that, so better to reduce the spam and only those who want to chat will remain. Come for the downloads, stay for the community.

As for the one post, its anywhere other than the Forum Games section, not just in the Seed Hallway

That was something that always irked me though.  Why is it really so much of a burden to play fair with such requests for so many (yes I know, bit of a rhetorical question there, or perhaps a bit of a lament)?  I know I remember looking through the forums for various threads that I could find something to say on to meet my requirement (since I joined back in the days of needing to do so) and then doing so to meet my requirement, and based on what I got back I found myself willing to continue on even afterwards.  While I also remember the situation lemmingllama describes and agree that in the end the current situation serves the forums best, it really makes me feel I suppose... old...that so few people considered playing fair with this site to have access to what is in my experience the best and most in depth direct download site for Eng audio anime out there.  I mean I get that there is something a little strange about someone bitching about the mindset of getting something for nothing at a anime download site, but how many of us if we had the resources would actually be buying these anime?  I know I would, but when you live on a tiny fixed income you can't afford such things.  For me the anime helps to make what can be a rather difficult life much more bearable, so I feel the need to play as fair as I can about gaining it from those making it possible for me and my wife to do so. 

Ah well, now I'm starting to feel a bit like one of those two grumpy old men from the balcony on the classic Muppet show.  In any event it comes down to whether people want to have conversation in the forums or a bunch of pro forma empty posts to get count for access to leeching.  Like lemmingllama I prefer the real conversation approach, sure things can get quiet for a while but then they can start to pick back up for some reason, not least being what appears to have happened this year, the migration of one long term forum anime fan group to here because of the loss of their original forum site.  So I hope that we see more people taking part in real conversations on whatever they like again, because this site is one that I find has some really decent folks in it already who can offer some very interesting and insightful conversations when the mood/situation hits them.

See everyone around then.

I like to engage in good conversations with members that I know who have some good advice in encoding or talk about general stuff you know like movies, video games, music, and so on. But the majority of the new members on here are just leechers wants to download new anime and not much leaving a simple thank you. That stuff kinda bothers me in some ways since encoders like Koby, Shiro, Baal, Tanxs, and ones I forget to mention who took their time out of their day bringing quality encodes since encoding takes time and maybe money.

People need to be more appreciative of what goes in to encoding, retiming, editing, typesetting and quality check them to make sure if feels that is good enough to be released in the public internet. And I would like to talk to some decent folk on here on generic stuff.

• 2 weeks later...