Recent Gaming Purchases?

Kid Ryan

Yeah, that's what I thought. It actually looks like 4TB 2.5" HDDs are more affordable than I thought :P I think that I'd prefer to get a "fusion/hybrid" drive just to get some possible loading time improvements, but I think the largest ones that I can find is the 2TB Seagate FireCuda. Are there any larger ones?

52 minutes ago, deanzel said:

Yeah, that's what I thought. It actually looks like 4TB 2.5" HDDs are more affordable than I thought :P I think that I'd prefer to get a "fusion/hybrid" drive just to get some possible loading time improvements, but I think the largest ones that I can find is the 2TB Seagate FireCuda. Are there any larger ones?

I looked everywhere but sadly that is the biggest SSHD model you'll find.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FireCuda-Gaming-SSHD-2TB-SATA-III-2.5-Inch/dp/B01M1NHCZT

However you can always plug in External HDDs which can go up to 8TB each (5TB if you want portable externals).

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Portable-External-STDR5000102/dp/B01M00UHV8

Edited by Toddler Naruto

On 4/23/2017 at 1:00 PM, deanzel said:

Wait, I thought you could only load a 2.5" drive into a PS4? I'll hold off as long as possible on a drive upgrade because now you can just plug an external 3.0 HDD into the PS4 and use it with the new firmware (I believe this was added).

I'd be more interested in installing a SSD to improve loading times and speed (like a 500GB SSD). It provides improvements on the PS4 Pro, right?

There's plenty of 'laptop' HDDs out there bigger than 2TB.

Also: The issue with an external HDD is that it requires another power source and hardware.

With a HDD INSIDE the PS4...there's a LOT less that can go wrong.

10 hours ago, Toddler Naruto said:

You only need more HDD space though if you hoard games. I always delete them after they've been completed.

Despite that though, I may be tempted to upgrade my PS4's HDD at some point, once I own one that is.

Yes, PS4s can only accept 2.5" drives, but they go up to 4TB with the PS4 internally. Also yes the External HDD feature was finally added earlier this year.

I agree with @ragnawind that you'd be better off with a hybrid over an SSD though. HDD space matters more than the tiny speed boosts normal SSD will provide.

I do tend to 'hoard games' because my internet isn't the best.

Better to download once than have to wait a two or three days to replay it.

They can actually go up to 8TB, if you can find the right drive. There are tuts out there for it.

4 hours ago, Tanis said:

There's plenty of 'laptop' HDDs out there bigger than 2TB.

Also: The issue with an external HDD is that it requires another power source and hardware.

With a HDD INSIDE the PS4...there's a LOT less that can go wrong.

I do tend to 'hoard games' because my internet isn't the best.

Better to download once than have to wait a two or three days to replay it.

They can actually go up to 8TB, if you can find the right drive. There are tuts out there for it.

An internal drive is definitely better for a lot of things, except for the space limitation, which has been taking awhile for them to increase 2.5" drive capacity. Also, not all external drives require an external power source. Many probably do, but there are also plenty that get power via USB, as well. I have a really old external hard drive that has a cable with a data-only USB connector and a power/data USB connector. That is only a 160GB drive, though. My newer 2TB drive uses its own connector type, but it doesn't require power at all. An external hard drive does require power, though, but even regular USB drives can be used for the data expansion, like a portable backup hard drive, such as the Seagate Backup Plus Slim, that I have..

Yeah, I'm leaning toward wanting a hybrid drive for my internal slot because I've heard that it improves loading time performance. If I need more egregious storage, I'll use an external. I've heard that a pure SSD doesn't give the PS4/Pro that many advantages because of way data is read on the PS4 (apparently). The Seagate Firecuda 2TB 2.5" is actually on sale just for today at Newegg.com for $90 (until midnight PST), so I'm really tempted to pick one up. However, I don't know if a 3TB or 4TB hybrid 2.5" is possibly on the horizon, and that would be something that I would definitely hold off for as I'd rather not have to attach an external HDD to my system. Decisions decisions...

21 hours ago, Tanis said:

I do tend to 'hoard games' because my internet isn't the best. Better to download once than have to wait a two or three days to replay it.

Thanks for the info, will look into that maybe.

11 hours ago, deanzel said:

Yeah, I'm leaning toward wanting a hybrid drive for my internal slot because I've heard that it improves loading time performance. If I need more egregious storage, I'll use an external. I've heard that a pure SSD doesn't give the PS4/Pro that many advantages because of way data is read on the PS4 (apparently). The Seagate Firecuda 2TB 2.5" is actually on sale just for today at Newegg.com for $90 (until midnight PST), so I'm really tempted to pick one up. However, I don't know if a 3TB or 4TB hybrid 2.5" is possibly on the horizon, and that would be something that I would definitely hold off for as I'd rather not have to attach an external HDD to my system. Decisions decisions...

@deanzel If you can afford to spend the $90 now then I'd say go for it.

There's no guarantee they'll be releasing bigger 2.5 inch Hybrid SSHDs in the future.

I used a poweruprewards coupon (B2G1F) to buy Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX, Paper Mario Sticker Star, and Kirby Triple Deluxe for the 3DS about 2 weeks ago. I already cleared all the songs from Project Mirai on normal mode. I played a little of Kirby so far but haven't even loaded Sticker Star yet. I have a 20% off birthday coupon that expires tomorrow so I may go get a cheap game today for even cheaper.

So, I made another PS4 related purchase...

I realized that my Bluetooth headphones won't work with the PS4, and I really prefer wireless, so had to splurge a bit on the Playstation Gold Wireless Headset. I got BestBuy to pricematch it at ~$72 which isn't that great of a price, but I wanted the option to return it easily at the store if I didn't like it or found a better deal within 15 days. I like them so far especially with the "virtual" 7.1 surround sound modes making things more interesting. I thought it would be BT wireless but you have to plug an adapter into the PS4 for it work (which I think is for any wireless headsets for the PS4). I haven't tried using the mic that much, but I've heard it isn't the best. However, I don't really play too many online games that really need crystal clear voice pickup.

What headsets are others using for their PS4? Maybe the Playstation Platinum Headset? Any other recommendations?

Edited by deanzel

4 hours ago, deanzel said:

Just picked up Horizon Zero DawnThe Witcher 3Bloodborne, and Final Fantasy XV for $65 total. :o

I think that my backlog is set for the near future...

Did you end up buying the FireCuda, or deciding to be patient and wait?

I'm honestly still conflicted myself as to which route to go.

Well, final decision has been made on my headset. I got a great deal on a basically like new Astro A50 gen 3 headset for $150 and it was too good to pass up. Normal price is $300. I'd never pay full price for it, but at $150, it includes every feature that I'd want including being wireless. I don't really use the mic too much atm, but in the future, it may become more useful. Time to return everything else tomorrow:P

And @Toddler Naruto I did get the Firecuda 2TB hybrid, which was a pretty good move in retrospect now. I didn't realize that basically every PS4 game (even if you have the disc) basically does a full install on to the hard drive and runs it all off of there. The disc is literally just used as a security check for the game and nothing else. With just a few games, a 1TB HDD would already be filling up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deanzel said:

And @Toddler Naruto I did get the Firecuda 2TB hybrid, which was a pretty good move in retrospect now. I didn't realize that basically every PS4 game (even if you have the disc) basically does a full install on to the hard drive and runs it all off of there. The disc is literally just used as a security check for the game and nothing else. With just a few games, a 1TB HDD would already be filling up.

@deanzel I think there is an option to change the default PS4 download location from Internal to External.

Here's a link for more info: http://www.gamesradar.com/ps4-external-hard-drive-extended-storage-set-up/

6 hours ago, Toddler Naruto said:

@deanzel I think there is an option to change the default PS4 download location from Internal to External.

Here's a link for more info: http://www.gamesradar.com/ps4-external-hard-drive-extended-storage-set-up/

Oh no, I prefer it to download the games onto my internal drive with the hybrid SSD part in order to minimize load times. I'll try to avoid having to use an external for as long as possible.

• Like 1

Code:Realize (pretty good for an otome vn)

Persona 5 (haven't played a persona game since P3 FES so the new features and lively world are pretty overwhelming but fun)

Horizon Zero Dawn (haven't started yet but heard good things about it)