Disney and Lucasfilm

The Welsh Paddy

So what are your views on this?

Disney have recently acquired Lucasfilm for $4 billion and have already aimed for an 'Episode VII' movie to be released in 2015, with a further two released over the following five years or so.

I myself am quite excited for this and don't understand why people think this will ruin Star Wars. It was ruined anyway. The last trilogy kinda sucked, and I wasn't a fan of The Clone Wars animated series or the feature length animation. Disney are expanding and wanting to reach out to a new audience, so I doubt they're going to do anything terrible. They might decide to aim for a fresher audience than classic Star Wars fans, which would suck for them, but I don't see why they shouldn't. Let someone else have the chance to enjoy Star Wars.

On the other hand, when I see what happened when they bought Pixar, and Marvel, there's been nothing bad from that. Pixar are still making some fantastic films, and Marvel now have the funding (and their own studio!) to make some truly amazing films. (All their films to date, need I say more?)

So why is it such a bad thing that Disney now own Lucasfilm?

Why would it be any different from when they bought Pixar and Marvel?

George Lucas is still staying on as a creative consultant, so it's not like Star Wars has been taken completely out of his hands. Disney are not wanting to re-staff the team at Lucasfilm, so by the sounds of things people aren't gonna be put out of a job.

I'd be expecting to see some cross-brand products. I think it would be pretty neat seeing some products of famous Disney characters re-designed for the Star Wars galaxy. I know my son would probably love them.

Now, I'm not completely ruling out that they might just come up with utter shit when it comes to Star Wars because Disney have come up with utter shit on a number of occasions. Now I'm not talking about the likes of Highschool Musical or anything. I think that's shit, but that's because it wasn't made to try and appeal to me. That was aimed at a completely different type of audience, and as long as it's kept that way, that's fine. (Saying this, I would probably kill myself if they cast someone like Zac Efron as Luke Skywalker, or any other character in Star Wars for that matter.)

The shit that I'm talking about is Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (Ubisoft had no creative input with that film by the way), and The Pirates of The Carribean films. The first PotC film was awesome, but the other three are absolutely crap. Jerry Bruckheimer was a terrible choice of director.

But when you weigh how much good has come from Disney against how much bad... The scales are gonna tip more towards 'Good'.

So I'm rather excited to see what they will make of Star Wars. I think it's just nice to see some new life being breathed into these films. If it turns out bad, I'll get over it. I'll still have fond memories of the first trilogy.

• Like 1

I think Disney buying Star wars isn't a bad thing but it may not be the best thing to happen to star wars either. I am on a view where I love anything star wars and my favourite films were the last 3 made, as some may object to that I don't really care it is how I feel on that subject!

(waits for all throwable object to be picked up and be thrown in my direction)

My mind is always open to new things and I think it will be quite refreshing to see what disney will do with Star Wars: VII, it will be interesting to see how disney recreate this Sci Fi Classic, plus it is not like Star Wars was going any where fast with Lucase at the head of the company, so at least now more films will be made whether they are bad or good it does not matter, these films will be loved by someone out there, I mean come on you cannot make everyone happy I learn't that long ago. I can see that majority of hardcore starwars fans are outrages thinking this is the end of everything, starwars is done and gone!!!!!! I like to think of it myself as blowing the dust off the franchise and giving it a new coat of paint hahaha.

I look forward to what disney can do and offer a bit of advise to those who are not in favour of all that has happened, keep an open mind you never know Disney may just out do your low expectation! And if they don't then you can hurl your lightsabers at them ;p

Edited by J-Lord
  • Like 1

It's not like Disney would be wholly responsible if the upcoming films are crap anyway.

Kathleen Kennedy, current co-chairman of Lucasfilm, will become president of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant.[7]

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, video games, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire Lucasfilm's portfolio of entertainment technologies. The present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.[8]

The company also announced the future release of new Star Wars movies, starting with Star Wars: Episode VII in 2015.

From reading that, it doesn't seem like Lucasfilm will be any different other than being owned by Disney. The films, for better or worse, are still going to be made the way George Lucas envisioned them.

So to be honest I've only seen Star Wars in its entirety once. Just one marathon and then saw 3 in theaters. So I don't have a real attachment to the series like many people do lol.

So I don't really mind what they do with the franchise. I guess though a little bit inside of me kind a wants it to just "die" peacefully already. Just have the original movies and be done with it. Instead it sounds like Disney wants to create lot of Star Wars movies in the future.

Now I see you brought up Pixar. Weeeeell I'm not too sure about that. Cars 2 was received badly by critics and now they want to release a sequel to Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., and another Toy Story movie. I think we can all agree Toy Story needs to stop at 3. Pixar is starting to become really sequel happy and you gotta wonder how much influence Disney has on that. Hopefully they don't become useless rehashes. Same goes for Star Wars.

• Like 1

It'll be the same as when Disney bought Marvel.

LucasFilms staff will be pretty much the same and be allowed to do what they want, just Disney owns them.

To be honest though, I've only seen Episodes 1-4. Still need to see 5-6 of Luke's story.

I prefer Anakin's story though so far.

Anakin's story was great. I liked the idea of a hero becoming the ultimate villain. They put that across kinda well, but with the films they got too carried away with CGI. One of the things that was really off-putting for me was how much more futuristic everything looked. I mean, the early versions of the X-Wing and Tie Fighters look far more advanced than in Episodes IV-VI. Well, everything looked far more advanced in Episodes I-III than in IV-VI.

The romance between Anakin and Padme was utterly terrible and fake. And some of the characters. I don't like the way they made Yoda in II and III. The whole crazy acrobatics made him look more ridiculous than the "wise old Jedi" he's supposed to be. Jar Jar Binks was pointless. He just seemed to be an excuse for them to show off their state-of-the-art CGI. The droid army were made to look like complete idiots with no clue what so ever. They tried adding humour into the films but pulled it off terribly.

I could go on about the reasons I disliked Episodes I-III. But the main issue was the CGI. That's what irritated me about the "re-mastered" editions of the original trilogy. The scene with Han Solo and Jabba the Hut in Episode IV looked terrible.

So I don't see how Lucasfilm being owned by Disney is going to change anything. It just means that Lucasfilm can now make more Star Wars films. Whether they're good or bad will be down to Lucasfilm.

Pixar is starting to become really sequel happy and you gotta wonder how much influence Disney has on that.

I'd be inclined to agree with that, but I'm glad that the sequels have been really good. With the exception of Cars 2. Well, I did really enjoy it, and it was interesting seeing the characters in a James Bond-esque Espionage Thriller, but it just didn't have that charm the first one did. I hope they don't go through with a 4th Toy Story film, though. I think the third one wrapped it up rather nicely, and I've really enjoyed the animated shorts they've done since. I got no problem if they keep bringing out more Toy Story animated shorts.

Only time will tell. So far I haven't been dissapointed with anything marvel after the disney aquisition so here's hoping for the best

also my one uber main gripe about the prequels was trying to explain the force as organisms instead of leaving it as a mystical power that only certain individuals are born with

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just interested in the projects, I don't expect a difference in quality other then you know the difference of time like episodes 4-6 compared to 1-3. Although I'm really curious about where they go with ep7 because I think it lacks luster now to continue with lukes story when its been like 20 years after ep6.

Personally, i think this will ruin star wars. Unlike a lot of people I loved eps 1-3, but all the stuff after that (mainly the animated stuff) has really sucked and now with a new company that really doesnt care about star wars and just wants to make some money, i think it will suck. The only way, in my opinion, that would keep the movie from sucking, is if they based it off one of the books and got a good director that will follow the book and not screw it up like the director of eragon did.

• 2 months later...