The Internet Defense League

L4ugh

I noticed this at the top of ShanaProject's site, and would like to know if Kametsu will be taking part in The Internet Defense League. Would be nice to support it, but it could bring unwanted attention to Kametsu. Wondering what other people are thinking about this as well.

Sorry if it's in the wrong place, but I didn't really know where to put it.

I think the internet defence league is a nice Idea but it is as you said I also believe it is a good way to draw attention to yourself and if you don't want the attention then I would say it is best to stay to the side lines, which is what I think we should do. No need to get involved and draw unwanted attention.

• Like 1

I try not to really do things like this much around here. The thing is, I can agree with what they're doing, but putting such things on a site that offers piracy doesn't exactly help the cause either. Why would they listen to pirate sites on such things? It'd better off left with the legit sites to handle these matters. Doesn't make fighting for internet freedom look too good to law makers when the biggest supporters happen to be pirates.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is quite unnecessary. I don't know how to solve the problems the internet faces other than waiting for a global mind shift of the older generation towards more liberal policies in regards to intellectual property. Slapping a notice on your website (which is probably only visited by people with a similar mindset as you) is the wrong way to convince a critic. Unless your website is massive and used by nearly everyone every day (Search engines, Wikipedia, social media), there are always alterantives that are going to abide by the law, not matter how restrictive it is.

But, there will always be websites like Wikileaks, ThePirateBay, proxies, etc. that allow us to "steal"/share information and ideas. And there will forever will be the darknets and places and Tor networks, etc. Now that we know what we can have, these things aren't going anywhere. I wouldn't worry about internet freedom, there are far bigger problems we will be facing this century.

I agree with the people who say to steer clear of it due to the nature of this forum. It reminds me of the paysite issue that blew up a while ago in the Sims community. One of the big name modders started a site that hosted "donation" or otherwise for pay custom content for the Sims games for users to download for free, putting paysite owners on blast and citing the EULA as to why they don't have the right to sell their content.

A lot of people agreed with what the site preached in theory as far as not selling custom content or trying to get around the EULA by claiming they were "donation gifts", but didn't agree with the practise of hosting other people's downloads, so they started their own sites. Some chose to mention the download site, others didn't. I think the ones attempting to be larger hubs for people to find "cruelty-free" custom content, so to speak, didn't publicly associate with the site or allow links to it, but also didn't allow the usage of pay items in screenshots or contests.

Having compromising associations--like with the aforementioned download site or even paysites--hurt Sim sites trying to argue against paysites. I'd imagine the same applies here as well--Kametsu wouldn't look good with our sizable download subforum and the IDL wouldn't look good having sites of those nature supporting them.