Can anyone figure this out?

RikuoAmero

I don't exactly have a problem per se - just a weird situation. Today, I left my computer on torrenting while I went out. I got home and turned off my torrent client. Usually, while the client is on and until about ten minutes after I turn it off, I can't web browse at all.

Well today, my web browsing worked again after the usual ten minutes but only really really slowly. Eventually, I noticed my lag in the IRC chat was 7.9 seconds, ping was 12 seconds. I also did a speedtest, and got 200 kilobytes per second, instead of something in the range of 800 kilobytes to 1.2 megabytes. Well, getting sick of this (this had gone on for a few hours) I reset my router. And this is where things get weird.

First, I'm using wireless on my computer (desktop in bedroom, router in kitchen). Router is connected to landline, I think the proper name is DSL? Anyway, what happened was, I turned off the router, waited 10 seconds and then turned it back on. When I got back to the computer, Win 7 told me the data it saved for the network was incorrect (I took this to mean that for whatever reason, the saved network pass key was incorrect). So I input it again. Only this time, it wouldn't accept it, said it had to be 13 characters (odd thing was, the pass key on the sticker underneath the router is only 12 characters, but had always worked).

So I scratched my noggin and switched security settings to WPA-PSK. That is pretty much the first weird thing, because the router I have DOESN'T support WPA. It's only ever been able to use WEP. That, and I did a speedtest. My speed jumped from the usual 800KB-1.2MB I mentioned earlier to 1.4MB. I'm not complaining, but I've NEVER gotten 1.4MB with this ISP before. Anyone able to figure out this apparent stroke of good fortune?

The degree to which your situation will baffle me depends on what you mean by "reset" the router. Did you do a soft reset (touched the button) or a hard reset (hold for 30 seconds)?

Disconnecting the router from power for a few seconds won't cause a change in any settings but holding the reset button will set everything to default. Which could explain why Windows did not recognize the network settings. I believe the password on the bottom of the router should only be for the control panel on the router and have nothing to do with the network settings unless someone set up the password to be that.

What is very baffling is that you were only recently able to use WPA. But the fact that it didn't before (assuming you weren't mistaken) leads me to believe that it is a dinosaur. And judging by the fact you can afford a 1250W 80+G PSU (A bit of overkill I think, fyi, the entire circuit which probably powers your whole bedroom/office (or several) shouldn't be carrying more than 1440W for an extended length of time), I believe you should buy yourself a nice dual-band router anyway.

Are you sure someone wasn't leeching off your wireless router? WEP is pretty easy to crack. That could explain the boost in speed.

It is .2 of a megabyte difference in the speed, I doubt a leecher could control .2 and keep it continuous for as long as he has had the service.

Sounds to me with your router, when you resetted it and was registering back it updated itself (only thing I can think of that would also update your encrpytion settings).

How old is this router? as someone stated it does sound a bit old acting like that.

It is .2 of a megabyte difference in the speed, I doubt a leecher could control .2 and keep it continuous for as long as he has had the service.

Sounds to me with your router, when you resetted it and was registering back it updated itself (only thing I can think of that would also update your encrpytion settings).

How old is this router? as someone stated it does sound a bit old acting like that.

At least a year at this point, we got it when I moved in to this apartment last year and subscribed to Eircom. However, I have no way knowing if it was a new modem or refurbished or whatever.

@Muiki Sama: A change in service could explain the increase in speed (though a FTTH/FTTP service should be at least 50mbps, not the 12mbps he seems to be getting), but not the change in router settings. Also I would think his ISP would have to inform him of this upgrade since his (and probably his apartment building's) service would be out for the upgrade.

Be honest probably a mixture of things, but def sounds like a possible firmware update to the router. Could be an update to the lines as well, which could have caused the update of the firmware due to signal encryption of the lines.

For the notification bit, they probably already have notified the users via a bill with a minor attachment, via email, or waiting till the update is complete to notify the users about it. But Mujklob is correct, they will have to notify you in some form of fashion; but usually the company's methods are pretty poor.

Are you still getting the 1.4 megabytes or is just a burst?

Can't say I have the same problem, but it's similar. I'm paying for 12 Mbps/1.5 megabytes, but I get 28 Mbps/3.0 megabytes. For me, I can say the case is that my house is really close to the neighborhood terminal, as in a hundred or so meters, so it's kinda natural. Honestly, the router is likely the culprit for the increased speed. Maybe you could test with a different router and see if the speed bump is due to the connection itself, or just the router.

@Muiki Sama: A change in service could explain the increase in speed (though a FTTH/FTTP service should be at least 50mbps, not the 12mbps he seems to be getting), but not the change in router settings. Also I would think his ISP would have to inform him of this upgrade since his (and probably his apartment building's) service would be out for the upgrade.

Not all the fiber services are @ 50mbps, but after thinking about it I would have to agree with you on the router firmware update.