Portable external Hard-Drive Help

Cold_void344

Hey everyone

I am currently on the look for a Portable External Hard-Drive (1TB) and was wonderng if anyone had any tips, or if you have found a good deal online etc.

My main concern is brand, I know to stay away from western digital (after reading a LOT of bad reviews about them), but is their any over brands to stay away from or any brand that you would recommend?

I know that since the floods the prices have gone up, but honestly I am willing to pay the extra $ since I actually need one for storing all the anime I am downloading since my friends external where we put all our anime on is nearly full.

Thoughts everyone? :D

whats wrong with seagate? ive had the drive for years with no problems.

They're are POS and often DOA. Every single SeaGate I've had has made terrible clicking noises and eventually died. I'm not the only one who has said this either. Every single thread posted on the forum about hard-drives has people commenting about how fail Seagate is and everyone recommends Western Digital for a reason. I've never had a single Western Digital mess up within the last 11 years. While I've had at least 4 Seagates fail.

They're are POS and often DOA. Every single SeaGate I've had has made terrible clicking noises and eventually died. I'm not the only one who has said this either. Every single thread posted on the forum about hard-drives has people commenting about how fail Seagate is and everyone recommends Western Digital for a reason. I've never had a single Western Digital mess up within the last 11 years. While I've had at least 4 Seagates fail.

oh wow guess ive dodged a bullet. or still dodging. i hope mine dont fail. 3/5 are seagate.

Really, just wait for something to go on sale. Right now, everything is super bloated for prices, but there are doorbreaker sales or holiday ones that make the drives more cost effective. I got a 1.5TB just a couple weeks ago for $80, just because I was willing to sit outside a store for 20 odd minutes before it opened. So look at them magazines and flyers for deals! But yeah, western digital is the best from what Ive seen

So WD is a good brand? excellent!

I have found a $99 WD 1TB portable external Hard Drive from officeworks, should i get it?

Well I got both of my 2TB WD drives at only $79 within a year apart of each other. I couldn't bring myself to spend an extra $20 to get half the size, but maybe if you're desperate enough to get one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136471 <-- This is my favorite external. Like I said though, I got two of them for only $79 each so as you can see the price has skyrocketed.

No no no. This thread is full of fail.

Stay away from anything from SeaFail (SeaGate).

Be sure to get Western Digital. It's the best brand you can get for external drives.

Wow, Koby, thanks for the warning!

I bought a WD 2TB last January for $112.50.

But it got full through the year, so now Im waiting for the prices to come back down.

I almost bought a 3TB seagate for $225 as it's by FAR the cheapest harddrive available here (it's cheaper than the WD 1TB is now), but didnt cause the supplier has bad rep. Was gonna wait for a new supplier to show up before buying. so Thanks! =D =D

So WD is reliable. It's also quiet and smart (tough I think all externals turn themselves on and off nowaday). It's just rather slow compared to my older externals. Also, the software that comes with it likes using a lotta RAM. So for a 1gig ram computer like mine, that's a bad thing.

Things worth noting about external HDDs, and HDDs in general is because they have moving parts the DoA rate is really high. Don't let a DoA spoil your opinion on a brand, the rate is far higher than any other computer component. I know that the last time I bought an HDD the rate was over 1%. SeaGate are okay drives, but they're definitely cheaper than Western Digital. I really like the Western Digital network drives because of them being user serviceable, so even if they die you just buy another internal drive and pop it in the external casing. Also the write rate over ethernet is a lot higher than the write rate from USB 2.0 which most drives are.

Before buying my recent one like 3 weeks ago i read countless reviews about DOA and short life HDs. I bought a 3.5" external WD 2TB and so far so good. But after so many horror stories it has me worried. When I have the money i will get another 2tb one just to mirror my current one because reaquiring my entire video collection a 3rd or 4th time will have me going insane

Before buying my recent one like 3 weeks ago i read countless reviews about DOA and short life HDs. I bought a 3.5" external WD 2TB and so far so good. But after so many horror stories it has me worried. When I have the money i will get another 2tb one just to mirror my current one because reaquiring my entire video collection a 3rd or 4th time will have me going insane

HDD go out, thats just there nature, so don't let horror stories scare you. And if you are getting into mirroring then I'd get into a RAID 1 configuration as that mirrors automatically. However that's internal only, but hey throw in two caviar blacks you should be ok for 5 years.

I'm glad i drop by this thread.. since I'm also planning on getting another HDD probably a 2TB. since my 1TB is gonna run out of space soon (260GB Left) been 1 year now thanks God my 1TB HDD is still running well.. lol don't have any problems with it sincei only used it for storing my anime files and movies etc.

• 3 weeks later...