Can you swim?

Shazi

i can cuz i live near the sea

I've lived near the ocean almost my entire life--I was born in the Philippines, I've lived in California within thirty minutes or less of the ocean for years and years, I lived near the coast in Mississippi, I lived near the coast in Japan, I live in Maryland near the coast...

And I can't swim.

If proximity gives you swimming abilities, I apparently missed the boat on that one, haha. (*ba dum tss*)

Just like loading and shooting a gun, changing a tire, swimming is just a skill you got to learn. I remember when i first got into a pool it was terrifying, but fear is irrational and must be overcome. Its something you have to push yourself to do and when you get good its effortless....I can freedive underwater 100 feet down or swim under water for about 400 feet with my monfin on. Its mind over matter really. Every morning i wake up and hold my breath for 2 minutes while not moving. The trick to free diving is not moving, slowing your heart by putting your self in a peaceful relaxed state and not wasting energy.

• 1 month later...
Well in my family when i was growing up it was something that is needed to be done. I can swim but not very good. I learn to swim in the ocean *Yes the lessons were in the sea! I live in the countryside so there were no swimming pools where i lived.*

Well at least you know xD

I was going to the pool when I was younger, but I couldn´t I was alergic to chlorine =/

The sea I was scared xP

I'm going to learn now

I think everyone should learn how to swim, it's a basic survival skill. You never know if you are going to fall, be pushed or swept into a river, canal or the sea. If you can swim or stay afloat for a few minutes you have a good chance of surviving until someone can rescue you.

If you are a strong swimmer you can even do the rescuing ^_^

Well, I can swim: Not really far, but deep ;).

No, in all seriousness, I like swimming. I really dislike sports, but swimming is quite fun :).

I think everyone should learn how to swim, it's a basic survival skill. You never know if you are going to fall, be pushed or swept into a river, canal or the sea. If you can swim or stay afloat for a few minutes you have a good chance of surviving until someone can rescue you.

If you are a strong swimmer you can even do the rescuing ^_^

That's also my opinion! I can tell you a story about my former neighbours:

Their first child drowned in the North Sea when they were on vacation... And still they didn't teach their second child, a friend of mine, how to swim :/.

That is something I do not understand...

And swimming or learning to swim isn't a big deal either...

Yeah I can swim lol. When I was a little kid all I could do was doggy paddle because I didn't do good around instructors and such.

For quite some time I could only do that. Then one day I was in a lake and I was like you what? I'm going to do this!!! I looked at some people doing it, copied them, and like that it worked.

Today I don't really do much swimming with my arms. I like using my feat. ;o

I never got on well with instructors either. My front crawl style is not very good, I keep getting my breathing timing wrong.

When I was learning to swim and working towards my 25m badge I swam the 25m but the instructor refused to give me the badge because my style was not good enough, I flailed my head around too much :( I don't think I ever got my 25m badge as a child.

In Germany, one usually learns breaststroke. There also is a badge called the "Seepferdchen" (sea horse) for swimming 50m. But your swimming style is irrelevant for it - you just have to make the 50m and get it :).

I think I was shown the front crawl in grade 7 or 8... But I wasn't good at it and even after repeating it in grade 12 I get tired too quickly. I prefer the breaststroke - I always swim 2500m^^.