My thoughts on Grave of the Fireflies

I've read a lot of comments before I consider watching this movie - and since many seemed to recommend it, I gave it a try. But unfortunately, I wasn't hooked.

My first thought was that it's a very slow-paced movie like the first few episodes of Clannad. Second, the movie was pretty sad, yes, but to an extent. By that I meant was it's emotional in a way that I felt bad about Seita & his sister but not to a point where I actually got teary or got chills down my spine. Third, I appreciate the fact that it showed what living in a constant war is like and how hard it must have been to stay healthy without the help of anyone. I thought that part was really interesting and the whole plot made more sense with that kind of living environment. Lastly, I would rate the movie a 7/10.

Footnote -- don't get mad at me if we don't share the same opinion.

Edited by Emotional Outlet

this is in the wrong section, you want the reviews and recomendations area.

I have never watched Grave of the fireflies. Never felt the need as almost every anime paints the west in a bad light, tokyo gets destroyed and there is some sort of A-bomb thing. The japanese most likely have a sore spot about WW2 and it shows in their anime.

Never felt the need as almost every anime paints the west in a bad light, tokyo gets destroyed and there is some sort of A-bomb thing. The japanese most likely have a sore spot about WW2 and it shows in their anime.

Well here in America everyone has a sore spot about 9/11 and the total deaths from that come nowhere close to the death toll of the atomic bombs.

Talking about the movie though, I didn't find it very enjoyable. I felt there was an overemphasis on trying to make the viewer feel bad and not necessarily to attach the viewer to the characters to do this. The movie felt more like an anti-war PSA than a story for me.

• 11 months later...