[Tutorial] Backgrounds

poetictragedy

TUTORIAL: BACKGROUNDS

This thread will feature a few tutorials that outline different methods I use to create backgrounds. I'm using Photoshop CS5 on Windows 7. There are probably differences between versions of Photoshop and/or between operating systems. I just don't know what those might be.

General Setup: These steps can be applied to every signature.

Step 1: Open a new document. I'm going to use a signature as an example, but it can be any size. The size I'm using is 500px x 150px. I always start with this size, then crop the signature as I see fit. Note: You may have to change the Background Contents to Transparent.

7bSYc.png

Step 2: Open your render. This is the render I'm using, but you can use whatever render you want. Copy and paste it into your new document. Resize and place the render where you think it will look best. I usually choose one side or the other, kind of using the “rule of thirds.” Imagine the canvas is divided into thirds, and put the render in the middle of the left or right thirds. Basically, just don't put it right up against the edge of the canvas; give the render a little room to breathe.

Step 3: Create a new layer by clicking the New Layer icon 6AS9I.png in the Layers window, or by hitting Ctrl+Shift+N. Drag this layer to the bottom of the stack, so it is under the layer with your render. Note: I try to give the layers relevant names (“background,” “render”), so I can keep track of all the things I'm working on. You can change the name by double clicking on the layer name.

CPmd3.png

Background #1: Gradient + Scanlines

i0X1r.jpg

Step 1: Using the eyedropper tool KLmzR.png, choose a light and dark color from the render for the background and foreground colors. I chose the dark pink from the robot (whose name escapes me), and the light pink from Lacus's hair. Then use the gradient tool 28qbN.png (click and hold the paint bucket icon xFmo0.png to find it) to create a gradient on the background layer. Try to follow the lighting/shadowing on the render. In this case, I went from the top left corner to the bottom right corner.

fGRve.png

STOP! If you've never used scanline patterns before, follow this tutorial to make a scanline pattern. However, to get the exact effect in my example, use a 5px x 5px canvas instead of the 3px x 3px suggested.

Step 2: Create a new layer to be used for the scanline pattern. Use the paint bucket tool, selecting Pattern from the drop-down box near the top of the screen. Select the scanline pattern. Then click on the canvas to apply the pattern. Choose a blending option from the drop down menu in the Layer window and change the opacity to your liking. In this case, I used Soft Light at 20%.

Amo47.png

That's about it for the actual background. The rest was done with brushing, text, and adjustment layers, which will be covered in future tutorials.

Edited by poetictragedy
  • Like 1

Background #2: Texture

XXNVO.jpg

I'll be using this texture from DeviantArt. You can find textures under the Resource & Stock Images category. From there, you can search for a specific color or style you're looking for.

Step 1: Open the texture, and copy/paste it into your canvas. Resize and reposition it as you see fit. I'm not going to fill the whole canvas because I know I'll end up cropping the signature.

IXS7Y.png

Step 2: Use the eyedropper tool to select a light and dark color from the render, like in the previous tutorial. I chose the same two pinks again.

Step 3: Make sure the background layer is selected and click the Add Adjustment Layer icon iZb1T.png at the bottom of the Layers window. Choose Gradient Map from the list. The gradient should include the colors you just selected from the render; if not, choose the correct gradient from the drop-down list. The darker pink should be on the left; if not, check the Reverse box.

Step 4: Select the Gradient Map layer and change the blending option to Soft Light, and the Opacity to 70%. Using a Gradient Map makes the color of the background more similar to the colors in the render.

EfSQQ.png

Again, the rest of the signature was done with a brush and blending effects. Sorry this one's so short, but there's really not a lot to it, haha.

Edited by poetictragedy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Background #3: Smudging

p2QDT.jpg

I'll be using this render. I'm also using a different format than my previous tutorials; clicking the x's will open a screenshot of the step.

STEP 1: Paste your render into the document, and resize/rotate/position so that the render is covering the entire canvas [x].

STEP 2: Now it’s time for the smudging, but we need to set some things up first.

• For the brush, select the smudge tool, then click the brush shape selector.
  • In the new window, click the little arrow next to the size.
  • After the Reset/Load/Save/Replace options, there should be several options for different brush sets (Assorted, Basic, Calligraphic, etc.). Select Assorted Brushes. [x]
  • A dialog box will open asking “Replace current brushes with the brushes from Assorted Brushes?” Selecting “OK” will replace the brush set you currently have open (I usually go with this option). Selecting “Append” will add the Assorted brush set to whichever set you’re currently using. And selecting “Cancel” doesn’t do anything at all.
  • In the Assorted Brush set, select the 10px diamond shape.
  • Next to the brush shape selector on the top toolbar, there should be an icon that looks like a folder with brushes in it. This opens a window to adjust the brush shape even further.
  • The first window that opens is one that controls “Brush Tip Shape.” These are my settings: [x].
  • In the left list, select “Shape Dynamics.” These are the settings I’m using: [x].
  • Next, we move on to “Scattering.” These are my settings: [x]. Make sure that “Smoothing” on the left list is also checked.
  • Set the smudging strength to 80%, and we should be ready to go! [x]

STEP 3: When smudging, I’ve read that it helps to have a direction, instead of just doing it all willy-nilly. So for this one, I’ve smudged in kind of a 45-degree angle from the top left corner to the bottom right corner. [x] I just moved from left to right, then back again, then finally going over any pieces I might have missed, keeping that same angle going. Now we need to soften it a little bit, so the smudge lines aren’t so prominent. Set the Smudge Strength to about 30%, and go over the entire canvas in a circular motion. Your result should look something like this: [x].

STEP 5: To make the next step easier, select the crop tool, and select your entire canvas. There should be no visible changes. This basically just removes the extra bit of render that’s hanging over the edges of your canvas.

STEP 6: Flip the canvas horizontally, by going to Image>Image Rotation>Flip Canvas Horizontally. [x]

STEP 7: Okay, now we can kind of see where the flow of the signature is (light at the bottom left corner, dark in the top left). Create a new layer, and place it under the smudgy layer. [x] Select the Gradient tool (if you don’t see it, click and hold the Paint bucket, and it should come up.) Change the colors to the light blue in the corner, and one of the darker, navy-ish blues nearby. The colors I got are #98d5de and #1e3a4c. Making the top smudgy layer invisible by clicking the eye next to the layer will make the next step easier. [x] Make a gradient following the flow I mentioned earlier, like so: [x]. Make the smudge layer visible again, and set its opacity to 70%. [x]

STEP 8: Whew, okay. Now we’ve got to do some more smudging. Paste the render into the document again (it should come up as a new layer), and position it like so: [x]. What you’re seeing is Altair’s hood, if you can’t tell. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to smudge this layer. Should end up with something like this: [x].

STEP 9: On the top menu, go to Filter>Blur>Motion Blur, and use these settings: [x]. Change the Blending Mode to Linear Dodge (Add), and the Fill to 50%. Crop the canvas again to remove the excess render; again, there should be no visible changes. [x]

STEP 10: Once again, paste the render into the document. For real this time, it’s going to be the focus and not the background! Resize/position as you see fit. [x]

This about does it for everything below the render. The rest of the signature will be covered in a separate, specific tutorial, which I should have up shortly.

[OTHER BACKGROUND STYLES COMING SOON!]

Edited by poetictragedy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...