Article About Introverts

RikuoAmero

Haha. I am still an introvert disguised as a Extrovert. I am actually an ISTJ, Introverted Sensor Thinker Judger. Myer-Briggs type indicator is pretty interesting. I would just work in a cold room all day embalming, but I had to change my mentality because families need someone to talk to. There's/well use to be a great site to test yourself for free on PersonalityPage.com but now they charge :(

Finding out your type is great for figuring out what field you should major in though.

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.

This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.

Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.

Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.

On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.

Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.

Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.

Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.

Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.

Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.

A world without Introverts would be a world with few scientists, musicians, artists, poets, filmmakers, doctors, mathematicians, writers, and philosophers. That being said, there are still plenty of techniques an Extrovert can learn in order to interact with Introverts. (Yes, I reversed these two terms on purpose to show you how biased our society is.) Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

Just to put the biggest part of the article in here so the lazy people dont have to click links and stuff. Honestly, I can relate to about all of this and I knew that I was an introvert. Plus I would love it if we could force people to read this, might make us introverts a bit happier :P or at least meet girls more often

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.

Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

this is so true... me being an introvert find it really hard to fit in anywhere actually (EX: here, took so long to even decide exploring around here)

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.

On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

i have 3 friends that's all.. :smile:

i think i'll try to make some friends here too after reading this thread:haha:

I must say that after reading this im mostly introverted as i find it really difficult to start talking to and interacting with new people but that being said once ive managed to break the ice after meeting them a couple of times i feel more at ease although seeing as my personallity is that of the s***-stirrer who likes to puss the boutndrys of what people find acceptable that being said as soon as i get a few drinks under my belt that i can then latter blame my behaviour on i go full out extrovert that being said anyone not of age reading this dont take up drink hangovers are a dam pain so i guess that makes me an extrovert with an introverted complex

Well, i see some folks have misread the meaning, as most people who said they are introverted on here couldnt be by posting on a forum. interesting...

I know for a fact im an ambivert. In social situations im the bloody life of the party, but when it comes to something i want to do i will do it alone. it is for this reason I chose a computer based course.

I hate to define people as one type cause usually they don't just belong in that one terminology. Like being introverted or extroverted. People can have both traits depending on their mood, environment, or time. I know in the morning I hate being social and talk very little and don't make small talk but later I talk and become extremely friendly after lunch. Or when I was little, I was extremely social but when I entered grade school I was quiet but after high school I started being extremely social again. At work I am usually quiet in the office but around family and friends I am loud. Point is, I can relate to being both introverted and extroverted at various levels. So

Well, i see some folks have misread the meaning, as most people who said they are introverted on here couldnt be by posting on a forum. interesting...

I don't think that's entirely true, it's easy to post on the internet, people can be whomever they desire online, and without the social anxiety.

I think rule #9 speaks to me the loudest, even though I have become proficient at socializing in large groups, I just don't prefer to. My friends always plead with me to stay a little longer, I just cannot get comfortable at someone's house for a long period of time. I feel more comfortable in an atmosphere I am familar with. I like one-on-one conversations for the most part, they seem to be less shallow/more in depth.

I don't think that's entirely true, it's easy to post on the internet, people can be whomever they desire online, and without the social anxiety.

I think rule #9 speaks to me the loudest, even though I have become proficient at socializing in large groups, I just don't prefer to. My friends always plead with me to stay a little longer, I just cannot get comfortable at someone's house for a long period of time. I feel more comfortable in an atmosphere I am familar with. I like one-on-one conversations for the most part, they seem to be less shallow/more in depth.

That happens to me quite often too. I'm always going down to visit my best friend at his house, and I've slept there thousands of times. Yet, on occasion, I'll just get this...urge...to go home.