Your behavior towards HIV/AIDS patients?

xNoName

Ehh, The topic title says it all. How do you behave towards people affected by HIV virus, or with people having AIDS? You run away from them? You don't befriend with them? Or else?

You people may be thinking why I made this Topic. You see there's a story behind it. Here goes:

I have a neighbor, who is like 10-12 years older than me. He has AIDS, he got it not from any sexual contact (which most of the people assume) but from contaminated injection syringes. I've seen that even his friends left him alone after hearing this. Not even a single person comes near him, they think that they will also get contaminated. He normally doesn't come outta his house due to it, but when he does people start behaving oddly. I tried to be friend with him, but my almighty parents stopped me. They said "Don't go near him or you know what'll happen", I said "Fuck!". Still, when he comes out of his house and comes in front of me, I don't behave odd instead I try to empathize him like a normal person should do.

I don't understand all the superstitious and naive nature of fellow humans regarding this matter. I mean, it's not gonna cause you any bad with being friends with him, everyone knows how AIDS spread and how it does not, but they still neglect the fact. Those who have AIDS are definitely gonna die, of course. You can't change it. But you can at least give them happy memories. They deserve at least that much, don't they?

hmm its aids u can get it pretty easily. and its his own fault.

I think you did not read his post properly.

I have a neighbor, who is like 10-12 years older than me. He has AIDS, he got it not from any sexual contact (which most of the people assume) but from contaminated injection syringes.

Well I know how orthodox some people might get, there are lot of misconceptions about AIDS/HIV. People need to be more educated about this topic. I've never seen any person who has AIDS around or at least they did not tell me if they have it. And even if I met such a person I'd just behave the same way with the person I'd behave with any other person.

Getting AIDS or HIV is so frickin' easy and yet most people choose to remain ignorant of the whole thing on possibilities. It could be through needles, cuts and so on. Also, just because a person may have slept with someone then caught the disease, doesn't mean that they KNEW they had it. That's the problem with the bloody thing! It can sometimes take years to show. By that time, there would have been dating and break ups. Injuries and rubbish doctor appointments. Far as I see it, some people look to blame someone else for the tragedy. As for me, it wouldn't stop me from being their friend or even dating them (doesn't mean I'd sleep with them, of course).

It would all depend on if they are an okay person or not. If they are an okay person I wouldn't have a problem being their friend, It's just a matter of trusting them to know when to stay away from a cut of mine or something. If one of my friends now days got aids, there's no way in hell Id leave them alone. I love my friends and id stay with them till the end. Id be pissed off at any friends that abandoned them. Even if i caught it from my friend, I wouldn't care, I've lived longer then i thought anyways. Just so long as it is my friend. Not some random asshole that bit me lol

• 2 months later...

don't see any real difference between myself or other people. so why change how I act? not implying that they would have to look deformed for me to treat them badly. I wouldn't treat them any different, if they wanna be left alone fine. If they aren't bothered by me, whatever.

I don't have any real standard for how I act in the presence of another person, I keep to myself as if I had a disease and if I talk to people it would spread. Sometimes the people that are shunned are actually way better company then the people who do the shunning.

He is just another person, so he did somthing and ended up with a terrible illness, who cares. Thats not somthing to hold against him. People with HIV/AIDS and live their lifes as long as they would have normaly, sure it take alot more work to stay healthy but that doesnt mean you cant be friends with him sure you might have the be careful not to cut yourself on any knife he might have (lol) but other then that you could have a perfectly normal friendship.

• 1 month later...

The transmission of HIV/AID is very low in a person receiving retro viral drugs I believe it is blow 90% and that is from sexual relations. The chance of you get HIV from being around or in contact with a person is basically less then 1% given that there are no exchanged bodily fluids. I personally think people should educate them selfs instead of fearing what they don't under stand do a little reading you will be smarter for it.

http://www.actagainstaids.org/basics/index.html

Even if you have it, there is no way to know when, how, or even if you will die from it. You could live a long and full life after never showing symptoms, you could catch a simple cold and die because your body couldn't fight it off. You could get hit by a bus on your way back from the store or something. You just don't know.

• 3 weeks later...