When did you finally realize that Animes are different from Cartoons?

Diablo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didn't really realise while watching Pokemon, Dragonball Z or Akira as when i watched them, i just didn't really have much time to just sit down and appreciate them, it wasn't until Outlaw Star aired where things changed.

Outlaw Star was my first real defining moment for anime.

• 4 months later...

I realized it when Anime continually struck out with me in terms of jokes but cartoons would make me laugh like crazy. There's some anime I find funny, like Cromartie High, just like there's some cartoons I tune into for the action and story, like Justice League. Generally speaking though, I find Cartoons just are so much more creative with their set ups and find so many more unique forms of humor where as anime I tend to just watch for the story and stare blankly at the attempts at humor in things like K-On and such. They each serve their purpose for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't realize they were different for a while. Back then Saturday morning cartoons aired anime and cartoons alike with no distinction made between the two. It wasn't until I learned some anime were dubbed and changed to make them more US friendly that I learned anime were originally from Japan. The anime I originally thought were cartoons were probably DBZ and Gundam Wing they were so well dubbed I didn't realize the difference. Plus I didn't think too hard about it as a kid.

It was a while after Naruto and Bleach started airing late at night on YTV/Bionix, and after I got really into it, I started looking for the new episodes online and for reasons I didn't fully understand at the time, I kept finding bleach 44 subbed, but not in English, at which point I did some digging with wikipedia, and... yea...... I fondly remember Pokemon, Yugioh, and Dragonball fondly along with Justice League and Transformers without really categorizing them like I do now.

I used to watch DBZ  when i was a kid and used to call it a carton obviously since it aired on carton network. I barely understood anything except for fighting.

It was later when i heard about animex channel and started noticing different art style that i realized anime and carton are different.

When i watched it and question morality of certain decision. Cartoons usually already have a defined set of morals and ethics where in anime those defined morals and ethics can be question. This is also about the time when intelligent enough to understand and open dialogue on the a fore mentioned topics.

• 3 weeks later...