Was Usopp right or wrong to challenge Luffy and why do you think that?

animenerd99

Ok so while re-watching the water 7 arc, episodes 235-236 to be exact i noticed Usopp really cared for the Going merry, i mean the whole crew did but i don't believe such a disagreement should have cause such a big duel between luffy and usopp. i believe usopp only cared about that ship so much because Kaya gave it to him (unless it explains it somewhere why usopp cared for merry above life it's self) and he really likes her i mean at this point i guess that would seem irrelevant seeming as he hasn't really mentioned anything about her except while they in jaya but i just think usopp was being very selfish with the situation and not thinking about the crew and his action was nothing more then a traitorous act, unless i'm missing something? so the question was Usopp right to fight luffy for the ship or is there some kind of hidden meaning behind it, now please don't flame if this has already been discussed or i'm just very late, i just wanted to know everyone's take on the situation

• 2 weeks later...

Like you said he loved the ship and kaya gave it to him which are valid reasons to have a fight i suppose.

However, i think that Ussop was being selfish and not thinking about the ship. Its harsh to push the ship beyond its time. it's like riding an animal until it collapses. He should have thought abut the ship and gave it a proper 'burial' instead of waiting until it eventually collapses. I think this is what the shipwrights were getting at.

Furthermore, ussop admits he knew the ship was running out of time to franky which emphasis my point that he is being selfish.

but it must be hard to get rid of your home and nakama like that.

• 3 weeks later...
The Going Merry was abused. A ship that should have lasted decades was destroyed in less than a year. Granted, it went though a lot. Not many ships fly.

That's true but i don't think usopp should've went as far as to battling luffy over it, i just think he was being selfish with the situation, and not thinking of what's best for the crew and the ship, so to me that seemed like nothing more then a traitor's move, i mean he's a coward usually and then he wants to get tough over a ship, if he really cared about the ship he should've went along with dismantling the merry from the start instead of doing some half ass repair and like you said abuse more until it sank and also what if they could've sank in the middle of nowhere, 3 members of the crew have DF abilities so yeah that would've been bad, i personally believe usopp was kinda in the wrong there

• 2 weeks later...

Uhm .. Even though he loved Merry Going, he shouldn't have questioned Luffy's decision. He knew that everyone felt the same away about the ship, and it was hard to say goodbye. Despite the fact that he acted childishly, Ussop in fact saved the whole crew, because it was Merry Going who saved them from Enies Lobby.

• 4 months later...

I didn't worry weather it was right or wrong, I liked how Ussop stood up for him self. In terms of the crew he is the most passionate. It is true though that Luffy didn't mean any real harm and only had the crew in mind. To me Luffy wasn't wrong yet Ussop's mutiny was something that seemed like it had to happen. That and the fight between Luffy and Ussop was great, Luffy almost lost.

Uhm .. Even though he loved Merry Going, he shouldn't have questioned Luffy's decision. He knew that everyone felt the same away about the ship, and it was hard to say goodbye. Despite the fact that he acted childishly, Ussop in fact saved the whole crew, because it was Merry Going who saved them from Enies Lobby.

i'm totally agree with Kappuchu

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly apart from the fact that Usopp is as usless as buggy the clown, weak as sin. The ship doesn't belong to him it Luffy's so him trying to act tough and getting his ass kicked in like one hit after spending hours booby trapping that area was beautiful. Also what the captain decides stands which is why Zoro got so pissed at everyone for trying to defend Usopp and saying Luffy is the one going too far.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...