Who is the most interesting character in anime and why?

Tommy071095

Who do you think is the most interesting in all anime,and why that character.

To start off,I think that Shinji Ikari from NGE is perhaps the most interesting character in anime,because he is just such a layered character from a psychological standpoint and I think he is unlike any other protagonist in anime.He is not an all powerful bad ass that punishes evil-doers,nor is he really an anti-hero like Light Yagami or Lelouch Lamperouge/Vi Britannia.What Shinji is,is perhaps the realiest character in anime,a flawed,damaged and insecure 14 year old boy unlike anything that I have personally seen in anime.

For me it would have to be Adam/The Millennium Earl from D. Gray-Man. Main reason I think this is because he's a confusing and complicated guy when it comes to being antagonist. At the beginning of the series, you see him as a heartless monster that only wants to make akuma so he can destroy all humans and get rid of innocence. Later on though, you start seeing his kinder side. He starts acting like he's an actual person, and starts worrying about Allen, who turns out to have a Noah inside of him. He even sends two people to help Allen when he's getting attacked. He's just a complicated character.

Hmmm its a hard one as people can find people interesting for a lot of reasons.

I'd say some of the ones I ofund more interesting were Mustang and Scar from FMA ( They're personalities and motivations kept changing throughout the series which made them very interesting). Onizuka in GTO was also an incredibl interesting character as he moved from the serious to the comedic almost seemlessly and his character was all over the place in an interesting way, but held together by his strong desire to be a teacher/do the right thing.

Add into that the whole cast of Cowboy Bebop who had more layers than an onion!

Who do you think is the most interesting in all anime,and why that character.

To start off,I think that Shinji Ikari from NGE is perhaps the most interesting character in anime,because he is just such a layered character from a psychological standpoint and I think he is unlike any other protagonist in anime.He is not an all powerful bad ass that punishes evil-doers,nor is he really an anti-hero like Light Yagami or Lelouch Lamperouge/Vi Britannia.What Shinji is,is perhaps the realiest character in anime,a flawed,damaged and insecure 14 year old boy unlike anything that I have personally seen in anime.

Oh yeah, i see what you mean and agree with you. And that's the reason i personally can't stand the english dubbed Evangelion. See, the in original, Shinji sounds human, and it is totally acceptable for a young boy to be scared, to be shy, to try avoid the grand responsibility they try to put on his shoulders. In original, you feel like supporting him. In English version, Shinji whines. He totally whines. Whatever he says it comes out like he's a spoilt crybaby who hates his duties and people in general.

Personal opinion: Evangelion should be watched subbed and Shinji really is a deep character.

Oh yeah, i see what you mean and agree with you. And that's the reason i personally can't stand the english dubbed Evangelion. See, the in original, Shinji sounds human, and it is totally acceptable for a young boy to be scared, to be shy, to try avoid the grand responsibility they try to put on his shoulders. In original, you feel like supporting him. In English version, Shinji whines. He totally whines. Whatever he says it comes out like he's a spoilt crybaby who hates his duties and people in general.

Personal opinion: Evangelion should be watched subbed and Shinji really is a deep character.

I'm glad you agree.However,I did watch the dubbed version as I don't like the subbed versions of anime and I didn't really think he sounded like a "spoilt crybaby who hates his duties and people in general".To me he sounded like a troubled teenager who has problems social interaction and due to his childhood has number of social and psychological issues.Then he is thrown into a situation where he quite litterally has the fate on mankind on his shoulders,like he didn't already have enough problems.

I think the reason why so many people who have watched the series hate Shinji,is because he is different to other protagonists in anime.For example,Naruto had a troubled childhood and has to deal with similar problems to Shinji,but it motivates him to become to stronger.When you think about it realistically for moment,Shinji is actually more realistic than other protagonists in anime like Naruto.Many people who suffer from social isolation and have trouble with realtionships so decide to shut themselves off humanity,become damaged,insecure people,while very few in reality use that situation to motivate them like Naruto.

To paraphrase I think Shinji is a deep character,because he is a realistic representation of a human and how most of us would react in his situation.

Yup, I bet lots of people dont have any problems with dub. Maybe for me it was the case when you cant stand the translation after having watched the original. Maybe I just dont like Spike Spencer or how he impersonates Shinji. Anyway, it's quite subjective.

Nothing to add, really. NGE is an awesome work.

It is pretty awesome.Did you prefer episode 25 and 26,or End Of Evangelion?

It is pretty awesome.Did you prefer episode 25 and 26,or End Of Evangelion?

thing is the subs were broken on those episodes in my version so i had no choice at the time but to choose EoE as the ending. now lets see what exactly Hideaki Anno prepares this time, in the remake.

• 5 months later...

Treize Kushrenada....by far....he is the unsung hero of the entire Gundam Wing series. His character is deep in so many ways, he doesnt allow himself to be left open emotionally yet has a closed romance with Lady Uno. He is by far the best combat pilot in the series yet he prefers to allow others to shine, and guides them on the path to enlightenment. He has an immense respect for his enemies, something that is very rare in most series. ALSO he literally controls the entire series up until he dies and still the world follows his path...