anime for non anime watching girlfriend?

ryalmc

Depends on what she likes. Since you are just introducing it to her you probably don't want to sit her down for a multi-season anime right away. Start of with an movie or short series or something.

There are a lot of really recent romance-esque anime movies out there, like 5 Centimeters Per Second or Summer Wars or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, that girls really seem to like (I personally don't).

Depends on what she likes. Since you are just introducing it to her you probably don't want to sit her down for a multi-season anime right away. Start of with an movie or short series or something.

There are a lot of really recent romance-esque anime movies out there, like 5 Centimeters Per Second or Summer Wars or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, that girls really seem to like (I personally don't).

I agree. Choose something short and sweet, such as any of the Ghibli films. Such as Spirited Away, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Whisper of the Heart (great show for girls), Princess Monoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, etc.

I would stay clear of anything full of ecchi and loli fan-service. If she likes action, as the original replier posted, something like Black Lagoon would be something I'd recommend. Anything that isn't way over the top, filled with fan-service, etc.. should be alright.

I would recommend shows like Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha (girls seem to love this show), Canaan, Eden of the East, Escaflowne, Moribito, Now and Then, Here and There, R.O.D. The TV, Spice and Wolf, and The Twelve Kingdoms.

Perhaps maybe even Eureka Seven, Wolf's Rain, or Fullmetal Alchemist (the original would be more in touch for girls). Or perhaps some romance shows such as Clannad, Kanon, Air, etc. If she's into Resident Evil you could always let he see Resident Evil: Degeneration, I find it's a show that many non-anime people have enjoyed.

I'd probably try to stick to dubs for her though, seeing as how she's new to Anime I doubt she'd be willing to read.

If she's into Twilight, try showing her a vampire related show like Vampire Knight, Rosario+Vampire or Shiki.

Vampire Knight is rather similar, I agree on that.

Rosario + Vampire, bad selection and would turn most new to anime girls away, plus the dub isn't out yet and I wouldn't suggest trying to start them off with subtitles.

Shiki, only agree if they don't mind blood, but then it has nothing to do with Twilight. Actually Shiki would be more recommended if she likes vampires but hates Twilight.

I can definitely vouch for the appeal of the Studio Ghibli films, they seem to be liked very well by people who aren't really into anime. Since my first series all came from the Adult Swim lineup I think that anything like FMA, Cowboy Bebop, or InuYasha would work well like the other posters said before me because none of them touch TOO much on the "ridiculous" side of anime that keeps most people away.

Vampire Knight is rather similar, I agree on that.

Rosario + Vampire, bad selection and would turn most new to anime girls away, plus the dub isn't out yet and I wouldn't suggest trying to start them off with subtitles.

Shiki, only agree if they don't mind blood, but then it has nothing to do with Twilight. Actually Shiki would be more recommended if she likes vampires but hates Twilight.

ah yes, good point. start her off with vampire knight in that case. my sister enjoyed it as well.

I agree - you can't go wrong with Ghibli (though unless you want to be completely depressed don't choose Graveyard of the Fireflies it is brilliant but one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen live action or animated!) Spirited Away is great, Ponyo or Howls Moving Castle (lol am just reading off some of whats on my shelf...I have a lot....)

As for getting her sucked into a series it really depends what her interests are. As Iki mentioned - Vampire Knight will probably appeal to the twilight crowd (no i'm not one!) but i don't mind the series though i think the English dubbing is pretty poor compared to the original voices but i'm kinda fussy when it comes to dubbs :)

for something that might be a bit more girl/shojo you could try something like Skip Beat (not dubbed and it's only one season as far as i know and just ends in the middle of a story arc). Wallflower (also called Perfect Girl Evolution depending where you live) and Ouran High School Host Club are pretty funny or there's Romeo + Juliet( but i haven't seen that one...yet)

My husband isn't really into Anime either but he has watched Darker than Black, All the Full Metal Panic! (Fumoffu is just great when you want a laugh) and most of Durara

If she like Gothic-y stuff maybe Black Butler (currently my fave!) or Pandora Hearts (not dubbed as far as I know) or Trinity Blood...

Well there's a few more suggestions for you - the problem is there is just too much to choose from :)

Lol ive tryed exaclt this and failed on 3 of my g.f so far. Although my current g.f i showed her 4 animes so far and she did like Gantz the best, but who doesnt liek Gantz!??!? The others were Gungrave (which she did like until that thing happened half way), Code Geass ( i was very suprised she didnt like this) and Yu-Yu Hakushu which she didnt mind.

well i guess it depends on her, but like others said i'd go for a short series or a movie to start off. maybe eden of the east or k-on! or ouran high school host club. you will probably have to explain the cultural things in some anime though. maybe even flcl or eureka seven.