Last Live-Action Movie you Watched?

Koby

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since my last post I've watched:

• Bad Times at the El Royale [2018] - Average.
  • Boudica: Queen of War [2023] - Awful.
  • Dream Lover [1993] - Alright.
  • Expend4bles [2023] - This franchise should probably die with this one.
  • Finestkind [2023] - They said the movie name probably a dozen times in the movie.
  • Five Nights At Freddy's [2023] - Average, more comedy than horror though.
  • Freelance [2023] - Another bad one by John Cena.
  • Genie [2023] - Pretty decent Christmas movie.
  • Harsh Times [2005] - Strange Christian Bale movie, but overall very mid.
  • Heist [2001] - Not the best Gene Hackman movie, but it's still enjoyable.
  • In The Fire [2023] - Should've never wasted my time with this.
  • In the Land of Saints and Sinners [2023] - Very forgettable movie, but it was okay.
  • Leave the World Behind [2023] - Strange but very middling.
  • No One Will Save You [2023] - Absolute waste of time. Horrible.
  • Old Dads [2023] - Some funny moments and most of the humor jived with me.
  • Oppenheimer [2023] - Good film but felt like it could've used some trimming at times.
  • Pain Hustlers [2023] - Average movie.
  • Revenge [1990] - Slightly above average.
  • Saw X [2023] - Better than most of the series but still no where near the top.
  • Silent Night [2023] - Spends way too much time on build up and not enough on the meat.
  • Sound of Freedom [2023] - Excellent movie.
  • The Boogeyman [2023] - Another disappointing horror movie.
  • The Creator [2023] - Better than I expected. It was fine.
  • The Exorcist: Believer [2023] - Not great, but it's okay which is more than I can say about most horror films of 2023.
  • The Family Plan [2023] - Very overused plot I feel like, but Marky Mark doesn't disappoint.
  • The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes [2023] - I liked it, but no where near as good as the original series.
  • The One and Only Ivan [2020] - Meh. My kid loved it though.
  • The Killer [2023] - Absolute waste of time, awful movie.
  • The Kill Room [2023] - This movie was pretty bad.
  • To Live and Die in L.A. [1985] - Great movie.
  • Training Day [2001] - Fantastic movie!
  • Vacation Friends [2021] - Decent comedy but way over the top a lot of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Since New Years I've watched:

• Breakin' All the Rules [2004] - meh.
  • Everything Everywhere All at Once [2022] - Good for a one time viewing... too ridiculous and overly long for any repeat viewings.
  • John Q [2002] - really heartbreaking.
  • Killers of the Flower Moon [2023] - not one of the directors better films...
  • That Awkward Moment [2014] - average brofest.
  • The Bricklayer [2023] - okay action movie.
  • The Burial [2023] - interesting based on a true story but added dramatization.

• Lift [2024] - meh
  • Rebel Moon - Part 1: A Child of Fire [2023] - Can definitely tell this was intended to be a Star Wars movie and quickly rewritten to be it's own thing once Disney rejected it. Still overall much better than the last SW trilogy, but that doesn't really sing any praises.
  • Role Play [2023] - Pretty terrible.
  • Self Reliance [2024] - It had it's moments but overall really meh.
  • The Marvels [2023] - Went in expected absolute garbage and while it certainly had some really terrible woke moments such as telling a kid to put a "strap on" for a gay relationship... if you can get past that filth, it was alright.Definitely the best portrayal of Captain Marvel to this point as all past scenes with her felt completely emotionless and un-lifelike. Here she seems to actually display a little bit of charisma.

Found a clip of the scene, no idea why it's labeled as a "deleted" scene considering it was actually in the streaming release of the movie so clearly not deleted.

1 hour ago, Koby said:
  • some really terrible woke moments such as telling a kid to put a "strap on" for a gay relationship... if you can get past that filth, it was alright.
Spoiler

I've completely checked out of live-action movies as of ~5 years ago. I was never a big movie person so it wasn't a hard change to make, but Hollywood is just so disgusting and political anymore that I can't gel out & be entertained. The movies are either so cookie-cutter or politically charged + soy infused that it takes me out of it entirely. I just can't buy/rent a movie or go to a theater knowing that $ is going to people who hate me.

I try not to begrudge others continuing to consume movies, because it may have been something they enjoy with family or grew up with that's hard to go without. I find it really hard to empathize with a character on screen when I know it's just a guy acting. It's a big part of why I love anime so much: the things happening to the character are "real" (in universe). If Guts dies, he's not going to show up in next Summer's blockbuster movie like Tom Cruise will.

Though few & far between, there are a few movies I enjoyed. I liked the live-action Grinch when I was a kid - teen. I still like Battle Royale a lot. Castaway was an interesting watch. 

During Christmas, my sister wouldn't stop talking about Twilight and how much fun those movies are to revisit now. She put them on in the background during our Christmas festivities & present opening. While it didn't fit the Christmas vibe & I don't think it will become a tradition of any sort, I did laugh out loud a few times when I would catch some goofy werewolf romance out of the corner of my eye. I can't believe how popular this stuff is/was. 🤣

Edited by Zemekis

4 hours ago, Zemekis said:

I've completely checked out of live-action movies as of ~5 years ago. I was never a big movie person so it wasn't a hard change to make, but Hollywood is just so disgusting and political anymore that I can't gel out & be entertained. The movies are either so cookie-cutter or politically charged + soy infused that it takes me out of it entirely. I just can't buy/rent a movie or go to a theater knowing that $ is going to people who hate me.

I try not to begrudge others continuing to consume movies, because it may have been something they enjoy with family or grew up with that's hard to go without. I find it really hard to empathize with a character on screen when I know it's just a guy acting. It's a big part of why I love anime so much: the things happening to the character are "real" (in universe). If Guts dies, he's not going to show up in next Summer's blockbuster movie like Tom Cruise will.

Though few & far between, there are a few movies I enjoyed. I liked the live-action Grinch when I was a kid - teen. I still like Battle Royale a lot. Castaway was an interesting watch. 

During Christmas, my sister wouldn't stop talking about Twilight and how much fun those movies are to revisit now. She put them on in the background during our Christmas festivities & present opening. While it didn't fit the Christmas vibe & I don't think it will become a tradition of any sort, I did laugh out loud a few times when I would catch some goofy werewolf romance out of the corner of my eye. I can't believe how popular this stuff is/was. 🤣

I can certainly share these sentiments. It seems like in general, whether it be Hollywood or even Japanese anime, the well of fresh ideas has dried up and they're just rehashing the same thing with slight differences. At least with anime they're attempting to do something slightly different with the theme even if it's dumb: I got hit by a truck and reincarnated as a refrigerator. Hollywood on the other hand took the South Park meme (put a chick in it and make her gay and lame) literally and is just throwing the same film out there with nothing different other than race swapping. If there is any story changes to the rehash it's all about sexual identity politics and pushing agendas. I've got nothing against women or gay people. I just don't like the way it's being used to push political messages and agendas. There is no reason this stuff needs to be injected into animated movies aimed at 5 year olds. I miss the time when entertainment was made to actually be entertaining and tell a new story. Now, watching the latest movie is no different than turning on CNN.

Twilight I never understood the popularity about it. The whole aspect of a 117 year old dude basically stalking a 15 year old and watching her sleep until she falls for him and then everything that came after:

Spoiler

Don't turn Bella into a vampire until they have some massive sex where she almost dies, then give birth to a kid fathered by a vampire who then gets "imprinted on" by the guy who has a major crush on her. It's like the writer is having some big pedophilia fantasy.

Besides I'm probably thinking way too much into things and this is probably ridiculous, but how can a vampire... who is dead with no blood flow actually even get an erection to begin with... and besides that point... Isn't one of the core themes about vampirism always been that they can't reproduce because they're not living? That was like a major plotpoint of Dracula and even Blade.

Why is it vampires in Twilight seem more like fairies with x-men abilities than vampires? They just glitter in the sun and they all have some unique power that only they have.