Reasons you don't like One Piece.

Manifesto

This is a thread basically asking why isn't One Piece as popular as Naruto or Bleach.

As far as the story goes its very interesting and creative it has no 'training arcs' its more dynamic and unpredictable (and practically no fillers) BUT some people might be put off by Pirates.

I have to admit that the art is a bit strange and unrealistic but that is what makes OP more original.

And finally the people who ruined One Piece for thousands of people, 4kids dub !

this is another reason why people might have not liked OP because 4kids ruined it with the terrible voice acting and censoring.

By the way I'm up to date with One Piece, Bleach and Naruto so its not a biased point of view...And from everything I have seen I think One Piece should more popular.

I'm sorry about this half rant but the main question is why do you like or not like One Piece and why do you think its not as popular in other countries as it is in Japan.

I think the reason it isn't too popular has to do with the odd art style and the fact 4Kids had the R1 license originally. People were put off by the bad editing, shitty music, odd art work, and even crappier voice acting.

FUNimation saved it but then on the TV airings they kept some of the 4Kids edits like Zoro's name etc.. While the dvd's were uncut and had the correct names. The problem is some people can't get over their initial viewing of 4Kids version, while others are put off by how far the dub is behind thanks to how long it took till FUNimation could obtain it. Also the size of the series often turns people away as well.

It's no longer airing on TV unlike Bleach and Naruto does which doesn't help either. Lack of advertising and again the weird artwork prevents from bringing in new fans. One Piece certainly has a bunch of fans but they are mostly older fans who simply just don't talk as much as the younger kids who are into Bleach and Naruto and therefore you hear much more about them.

One Piece is great once you actually watch it unedited and the art style is becoming normal in this Anime industry of today. Especially with shows like Fairy Tail which draws inspiration from One Piece, it has made some people stop and rethink about checking out One Piece.

Common Reason why people dislike One Piece:

if you think of it wisely, just observe the things that one piece differs from naruto, bleach and dragon ball z.

1. it really differs on the theme of the anime series involved.

one piece is really great... it has story, lot's of character development, plot twist and cool fighting scenes. the difference of naruto and bleach in this category is that the 2 series has much more fighting content in it (powerful jutsu's, and the powerlevels that are just not balanced)

it's hard to say this, but most of the viewers living in the western countries much more prefer "pure action animes". one piece have some epic fighting scenes, but a person needs to watch atleast 30 - 40 episodes to see the fighting.

in a shonen anime type of series, it always involves quick paced fighting scenes. naruto and bleach had emerged in this category while in one piece, you have to build up the plot before luffy get's in his act to kick some ass which is quite boring for the viewers"

2. the difference in animation really takes in.

just imagine, if a person see's one piece in the first place.. the first impression that this person will say is that "what a crappy animation, it's too old!"

that way, the person will just lose interest because of the animation in the first seasons of the series (ep 1 - 200+, the animation was enhanced at the start of davy back fight arc)

3. length of the series.

one of the reasons of people is also the length of the series and the manga. 481 episodes are just too long, for a person who works and also spends his time on other things.. it's hard to compromise some quality time just to watch one piece.

4. 4kids dub

the 4kids dub really done it, it should be the debut of one piece in the western world but 4kids really blow it. most of the people who watch the 4kids dub before still have this "gut feeling" that one piece is just like this and that (censorship and bad voice acting)

well thats it, my reference here is that the people that i insist on watching one piece.. these are the common reasons that they give to me.

Yeah the length of the series can put people off :(

When I started watching One Piece I hated the art style and I thought it was goofy but after about 30+ episodes I was hooked and I watched about 380 episode in a month.

I guess your right for some people thats too much :D

Anyway I wish that 4kids had never dubbed OP then it probably would have got way more attention.

dammit! why is it that every time an interesting thread comes up, all valid points are made by the time i get there and i just look like another freaking spammer?

we first got One Piece here on C-W and yeah, as you said, i quit watching it after the part where

zorro first fights hawk-eye

frankly, i only watched OP even that far back then was because i was hoping it would end already. after that part, i just quit watching it altogether.

then, about a few months back, a member told me that the version i watched was the crappy 4Kids version which was made highly kid-friendly.

so, i started watching the FUNimation dubs starting from episode 1 ... and call me crazy, but for some insane reason, i actually LIKED the show this time, and i didn't fast forward through it once ... until we got to the first filler, but that's another story.

well, if i were to add a new point, it would be that since 500+ episodes have passed, people are bound to have seen some spoilers on the web which ruined the series for them.

me, for example, i accidentally went on this One Piece site once and this stupid dunce of a dolt shouted out loud in the Shoutbox (yes, i know i said shout twice)

Why did Ace have to die?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, YA DUMB SPOILER!!!! and the worst part is i don't even know WHEN it's gonna happen. so, a little tip for everyone, stay away from sites where people don't know how to use spoiler tags. *points above to his beautiful spoiler tags*

For me it was also Oda's art-style that put me off, but I fully regret it. Now I have to catch up tons of episodes/manga chapters because I missed out on such an awesome show. It's even better now that's in English(and not dub by f*ckin 4kids) now because I hate trying to watch the show and read subtitles at the same time. Only thing I don't like now is having my 9 year old bugging me to check this site for new episodes every freakin' day:confuse:

One piece has become one of top favorite animes and the story more interesting and well thought out than Naruto and Bleach. I'll catch up on those two when Naruto's closer to the end and when Kubo stops smoking crack and his writing makes sense again. It's difficult trying to write something different without mimicking everyone's post but you can't deny the facts:happy:

come to think of that... before i was complete devoted to one piece, i was obsessed with naruto and bleach. in fact, i really love those 2 animes way back when they are just in their starting points.

naruto - i was put into it when the series was still on lee vs gaara way back at the chuunin exams, on top of that.. the series had really been top notch when sarutobi dies until the 3 sanin battle and ended with a remarkable sasuke vs naruto fight. after that, the 2 year long filler kill the series for me.. i tried to read the manga, but i stopped myself reading it when jiraiya was killed.

and yeah, i did recently watch naruto and naruto shippuuden last year. i did ended at naruto shippuuden episode 169.

bleach - i actually love this series way back when its still at saving rukia at soul society (episode 65, and that's where i also ended up).. after a good starting arc, here comes the bounto arc and i lost my interest making me drop the series..

i tried watching one piece after dropping those 2 animes and it's my big brother who refer me to one piece. I also said the same thing about the series when i seen it in the first time.

"what a crappy animation, it's too old!"

i also added, the drawing seems kinda weird and somewhat has some funny thing in it.

still, i patiently start watching the series little by little until i appreciate it as the episodes go far (i only watch the subs, since im also not resorting to english audio too much).

after watching sanji's baratie arc with his past, added with the whole arlong park thing (how the SH crew walk right into it).. that pave the way for me to watch the series even more until i catch up to the latest episode back that time

(it's episodes 337 - 340)

Likes in One Piece

- superb story

(a good example for this is the whole drum arc and skypiea arc)

- character development

(specifically for luffy's crew like back stories and past i.e. Nami, Nico Robin, Sanji's Past)

- it's a show depicting too much emotions that a person should feel.

- there is an always epic ending, if not a very tragic end.

- there are a number of villians that is not that strong but somewhat you can feel your frustration with it.

- most of the fillers in the series are light episodes (it not involves fighting but in some ways interesting and will not take 15 - 20 - 30 episodes)

- luffy is too epic when he is ready to kick someone's ass.

well that's it, im not biased for it since i was also an avid fan of naruto and bleach before (but that was past).. i know that kishimoto is a good author but i think that i really love oda's story telling for one piece... for kubo, i dont know anything since i did not read the manga for bleach.

Yup the same with me before I was obsessed with OP I was a very big Naruto fan but after the whole Sasuke thing I got pretty much bored of it and gave One Piece a go.

And another thing 4kids didn't ruin it for me because I watched OP in subs too...

I'm not sure If I have had liked OP if I watched it in the 4kids dub but thank god FUNimation saved OP.

• 1 month later...
Maybe the reason that I really don't like One Piece is because its drawings/artworks doesn't pass my aesthetic standards. In accordance to the story, I heard that it really has a good plot :D Other than that maybe I'll try watching this when it finally reached its conclusion :D

about the conclusion, as far as i know, the current arc today in the manga is quite someting, looks like Oda is again making a great arc out of this.

Fishman Island, i still have not read the manga past 603, but after some reading in other OP forums sites.. it seems that the are telling that the current arc today will be something.

a year ago or two, oda just anwered in an interview that the series is still halfway and its been already 10+ years since he started writing for it.

a year ago or two, oda just anwered in an interview that the series is still halfway and its been already 10+ years since he started writing for it.

Well honestly, there is a little misunderstanding going around about what Oda said. People believe he meant that it was the halfway point as far as manga chapters go but what he really meant was that the story or their goal was about halfway done. It's all entirely up to how he goes about it but it seems like he was pointing more towards them being halfway towards their goal or in other words they have traveled only half of the grand line or such. For what it's worth, One Piece could very well be done and over with in as little as two to three years possibly. Will it be? I don't know, but there is nothing stopping him from doing so. It all comes down to how much he draws out the rest of their goal.

Well honestly, there is a little misunderstanding going around about what Oda said. People believe he meant that it was the halfway point as far as manga chapters go but what he really meant was that the story or their goal was about halfway done. It's all entirely up to how he goes about it but it seems like he was pointing more towards them being halfway towards their goal or in other words they have traveled only half of the grand line or such. For what it's worth, One Piece could very well be done and over with in as little as two to three years possibly. Will it be? I don't know, but there is nothing stopping him from doing so. It all comes down to how much he draws out the rest of their goal.

as long as he can write, then that is fine for the fans.. i've been watching this series since 2007 and i will still continue to watch it until the end.

i just love on how he does his writing and on how he develops a certain character in the series.

it can be finished in 3 - 5 years, but we can't say for sure.. it really depends on Oda in the end.

• 3 weeks later...