Resident Evil 5

Riku-kun

Only the best Survival Horror game...well, after Fatal Frame maybe.

Here it is, ladies and gentlemen, a video of actual gameplay of Resident Evil 5 for the PS3. Yes, yes. I was stunned by the graphics of it as well.

Caution - Violent Nature (well...some)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujM56eq985A

Chris Redfield's back. And he's bad-ass. In the end of that trailer you get a sneak of who's gonna be making her apearance as well.

Capcom gave out the release date to be 2005, for as stupid as it might sound. The official release date hasn't been released yet. In the video description, it has been said 2009. In my personal opinion, it'd be out around next year. If they already have footage of the actual game play, then they're probably already far off into the creation of it. And why keep RE fans waiting? Why keep ME waiting? *cries* XD

Anyway, enjoy.

• 7 months later...

I so can not wait to play this game!!!! I mean haven't you guys seen the screenshots and videos of this game. It looks FRICKIN' scarey to death!!!! RE4 was bloody scarey too. This game is set to be released in 2009:

165628-3-1.jpgres_evil_51.jpg

It looks so real so it's gonna be twice the fear then RE4!!! I'll never forget the village part in the beginning I mean I was soooo scare to move on ahead!! I'm getting this for Xbox 360 and turn off all my lights ^_^

The black people will play a major role in this RE. Their dark skin can't be seen when coming in from the light areas, so that will make the game so much more exciting and scary. I think it will be scary enough to make me jump a lot. Just seeing the first part of the trailer gave me a couple of chills. Can't wait to get the game though.

Haha, ah racism, this game'll be popular among white southerners.

Can't wait to get my hands on it and utterly destroy it like the others. Always easy games, that are still enjoyable to play through once or twice. Although, being scarred of a game seems ridiculous, just like a movie... honestly, how can someone be afraid of something that is fake? (And in most cases, like the Hostel movies, and Saw movies, being funny, nothing is funnier than gore.) But I digress, I have a reason to look forward to 2009 other than just New Years parties!

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

For years, Resident Evil ruled the land of the video-game dead. The zombie franchise, influenced by George Romero's Living Dead films, lumbered its way to fame, selling 36 million-plus copies worldwide and spawning a genre of horror games and a profitable movie series.

But since the 2005 release of Resident Evil 4, there has been a population boom in zombies. Thrillers such as Left 4 Dead, Dead Space and Dead Rising have been connecting with rabid fans.

The arrival of Resident Evil 5 on Friday (rated M for ages 17-up, $60 and $90 for collector's edition, for Xbox 360 and PS3) does not necessarily mean a return to the top of the heap.

"The landscape on which Resident Evil 5 is appearing is radically different. There has been an upswing of creativity in the horror genre," says Evan Narcisse of CrispyGamer.com. "The challenge it has to meet in order to re-establish any kind of dominance is a lot bigger."

The Resident Evil formula of claustrophobic, dark settings swarming with seemingly insurmountable hordes of zombies and mutants has been successful. The franchise began in 1996 (with Resident Evil 1 for the original PlayStation). The last true episode, Resident Evil 4, released in January 2005 for the Nintendo, later that year for PS2 and finally in 2007 for the Wii, was considered a high point for the series.

Three films, starring Milla Jovovich as protagonist Alice, who battles the sinister bioengineering firm Umbrella Corp., haven't been critical successes. But they've grossed a respectable $378 million-plus and solidified a following.

"That's really what has kept (the franchise) at the top of mind," says Geoff Keighley, host of GameTrailers TV on Spike. The live-action films are based loosely on the events in the games; a computer-animated flick, Resident Evil: Degeneration, released in December on DVD and Blu-ray, fills in the gaps between Resident Evil 4 and 5. Novels, comics and action figures have added to the merchandising blitz.

The development team at Capcom enhanced Evil 5 for its high-definition game debut. Traditionally lurid settings have been replaced with luminous and unnerving vistas in a fictional western African region. Enemies move faster than in past Evil games, and there's more action.

"We felt tremendous pressure to add something new to the series to create a new and better game than Resident Evil 4," says Jun Takeuchi, the game's co-producer.

Another major new feature is that main character Chris Redfield, who has battled the spread of mutant viruses and biological weapons throughout the series, teams up with a new partner, Sheva Alomar, and players can control them cooperatively or let the game control Sheva.

"One of the motifs is partnership and the ties that bind people together. It's important in the story and in the gameplay," says Takeuchi, who also was lead programmer on the original Evil. "You want to protect your partner and work together to overcome the challenges."

As the story unfolds, he says, you grow "dependent on your partner for so much that later in the game, when you are left by yourself, it creates a new horror experience."

Some Evil aspects remain unchanged, most notably that the player's character cannot run and shoot at the same time, as allowed in other popular shooting games such as Halo and Call of Duty.

Still, the game hits stores at a great time, far from the holiday rush so that it won't get buried among other top titles, Keighley says. "There's pent-up interest among gamers who have wanted a new Resident Evil," he says. "This is not a radical departure from the formula, but it is something that is definitely fresh and looks really good."

More Evil games are planned, says Takeuchi. "There are a lot of horror games out there now, but I'd like people to remember this is the series that started everything. This is the series that created the term 'survival horror.' "

i cant wait to play it. ive been re-playing RE4 like a madman in an attempt to refurbish what little video game playing skill i have. and i saw a demo for 5 and it looked great. and as far as four goes, i hate mercenaries mode, it's so much fun but its such a pain in the ass trying to get the hand cannon. Cant wait for five im sure its going to be another smash hit.

• 4 weeks later...

Resident Evil 5 is awesome. I have completed it on every mode possible with my fiancee! The co-op is a great addition to the series as well. Although I kinda wished this one had a darker atmosphere like the other RE games, but it is all good. Still a great game, and Wesker is the best bad guy in all of video games.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

RE5 was alright, it was debatable in being scary because it wasn't "scary" as it's early predecessors, but retained the "suspense" that all of it's previous ancestors had. Albeit the shop system was simplified and the game was divided into chapters, the game was overall lacking in my honest opinion as a result of the decision to include cooperative play and a active "partner" in the story (i.e. Sheva following you everywhere, instead of it just being Chris running around in the the mansion by himself.) The A.I. was more or less the same as RE4 in terms of intelligence, and Professional mode was a joke for infinite ammo users as well as being pretty silly for anyone trying to make a legitimate run through it as you had to worry about your partner as well as yourself since one hit = death/quick bleedout. It was obvious that people were going to find a way to get free money to max out their weapons as quickly as possible, and the only thing holding people back on that was if they had not beaten the game already.

Kasoivc said:

RE5 was alright, it was debatable in being scary because it wasn't "scary" as it's early predecessors, but retained the "suspense" that all of it's previous ancestors had. Albeit the shop system was simplified and the game was divided into chapters, the game was overall lacking in my honest opinion as a result of the decision to include cooperative play and a active "partner" in the story (i.e. Sheva following you everywhere, instead of it just being Chris running around in the the mansion by himself.) The A.I. was more or less the same as RE4 in terms of intelligence, and Professional mode was a joke for infinite ammo users as well as being pretty silly for anyone trying to make a legitimate run through it as you had to worry about your partner as well as yourself since one hit = death/quick bleedout. It was obvious that people were going to find a way to get free money to max out their weapons as quickly as possible, and the only thing holding people back on that was if they had not beaten the game already.

Pro mode isn't exactly a joke as you say, though, for the most part, it can be if that is how you make it, but all the tricks in the book can't make the end of Chapter 2-3 easy, especially in Pro Mode. I would have the Platinum by now if I could use my actual guns against the El Gigante, like in RE4, but you are limited to only the Gatling Gun on the vehicle you are riding.

• 10 years later...

People kept rumoring that RE5 Remake would happen after RE4 Remake, although most seem to want a Code Veronica Remake far more...

Seems like Capcom is putting to rest whether or not an RE5 Remake is even a question currently by suddenly updating the existing Resident Evil 5 game on Steam.

Here is the Patch Notes:

- Removed Games for Windows Live support.
- Will support local split screen co-op.
- Some other minor bug fixes.