Top 40 PS3 Games of 2010 (UK vote result)

The Joker

As voted for by the UK public, Playstation's official UK magazine has released a list of the top 40 PS3 games in 2010:

40: 2010 FIFA World Cup

39: Medal of Honor

38: Ruse

37: Sports Champions

36: Scott Pilgrim VS the World

35: Toy Story 3

34: Army of Two - The 40th Day

33: Just Cause 2

32: Star Wars - The Force Unleased II

31: GTA: Episodes from Liberty City

30: The Sims 3

29: Blur

28: Tom clancy's Hawx 2

27: Singularity

26: Deathspank

25: Lego Harry Potter years 1-4

24: WWE Smackdown VS Raw 2011

23: Modnation Racers

22: Vanquish

21: Rock Band 3

20: Dead Rising 2

19: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

18: Super Street Fighter IV

17: Bayonetta

16: Enslaved - Odyssey to the West

15: Mafia II

14: Demon's Souls - Black Phantom Edition

13: Final Fantasy Xiii

12: Bioshock 2

11: F1 2010

10: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

09: Castlevania - Lords of Shadow

08: Fallout New Vegas

07: Battlefield - Gran Turismo 5

06: Gran Turismo 5

05: FIFA 11

04: God of War III

03: Call of Duty - Black Ops

02: Heavy Rain

01: Red Dead Redemption

So, there we have it. The games the UK fans feel are the greatest releases of 2010. I expected Bioshock 2 to be higher, but overall I do agree with the list. But thats just me, what about everyone else? Agree or disagree?

Yeah I don't agree with any top games charts that list Final Fantasy XIII as a 'top game' considering from what I have 'played' it's been nothing more than a CG movie with the false sense of playing by occasionally getting to move the character from point a to point b and being able to upgrade the character but only up till it blocks you from advancing till you reach a certain point in the game therefore preventing you from ever actually upgrading more than called for in whatever area the characters happen to be in.

I stick with my original quote that Final Fantasy XIII should have been Square Enix's next CG movie release instead of a game. It practically already is.

Yeah I don't agree with any top games charts that list Final Fantasy XIII as a 'top game' considering from what I have 'played' it's been nothing more than a CG movie with the false sense of playing by occasionally getting to move the character from point a to point b and being able to upgrade the character but only up till it blocks you from advancing till you reach a certain point in the game therefore preventing you from ever actually upgrading more than called for in whatever area the characters happen to be in.

I stick with my original quote that Final Fantasy XIII should have been Square Enix's next CG movie release instead of a game. It practically already is.

I agree fully with you. I'm not suprised it didn't make the top 10, but I thought it would be well into the 20's before it appeared. The real shocker for me was seeing Heavy Rain at number 2. For a game that people either loved or hated, it did far better than expected.

Leave FF13 alone, it was an innovative genre idea, the Rail shooter cross rpg. - Rail RPG.

jokes (or is that seriousness) aside...

That 2010 fifa world cup that came in at 40th... sorta made me think they mustve only made about 40 games for the year. I've seen that in the bargain pile in almost every shop ive been to in the past month or so.

I also still dont get the fascination with red dead redemption. To me it feels like a stripped down GTA. Your horses are a restricted version of cars, The terrain is more boring (Whoever started this grit in gaming trend can burn in eternal hellfire), you have less guns, there are no boats (besides the stagecoach glitch, practically a raft then...) And of course you have no aircraft.

How does a fully stripped down game by all aspects, place at number one like that?

Especially when you consider things like black ops being one of the most downloaded games via torrents (them tracking that was illegal btw). It makes you start to think people buy these lists out all the time.

About a game stripped down, why not consider GtaIV a restricted San Andreas then? Less cars, space, options - nothing can compare to the vast gameplay SA had to offer years ago. But is GtaIV worse than SA? Nope. Are modern graphics the only reason for that? Absolutely not. Its just the fact that developpers sacrificed something to improve the rest.

This was concerning "quantity vs quality" question, now about Red Dead. Firstly what did you expect from a western? Vehicles and aircraft? The priority was to create a game which held the antourage of wild west within it, with horses, bullets flying everywhere and a wild desert. It was supposed to please gamers who like all this, and it seems, the game was a success.

I do consider GTA4 as inferior as well.

The main problem they have is trying to make things too realistic, it seriously effects the fun level of a game.

Oh, and I would be willing to believe people liked it more, if I saw more REPLAY VALUE in it, and a little less blatant first DLC copy (Red dead Undead vs Ned's Zombie island)

Meh, in the end it all comes down to quantity vs quality as you said. Too bad they count quantity of pixels as more important over quality of gameplay nowadays.

I gotta ask what you like in gta series most? For me personally story is the main criteria, then the gameplay, then all the rest (and replayability doesnt really matter, maybe cause im a pc gamer im not used replaying the game after beating it once.) Hence Gta4 was a delightful game for me, at first i was concerned about grapics being the basic ambition as well, but it turned out new looks didnt spoil the game at all. Still old good Gta with awesome cut scenes between missions, lots of characters and interesting dialogs.

What I liked in the GTA series most was the sandboxing. If you really didnt want to do a mission straight away, you could screw around if you so wanted, with not a care in the world.

GTA4 giving you a phonecall from a random person to go do a menial task every 5 minutes, sort of ruined that.

While in san andreas you could go around knifing people, go sniping, fly around, float around or drive a host of cars, gta4 just had to try to change things, and make you feel like you still HAD to do something while you wanted to do nothing (quote my mate "piss off roman, I want to play on the swing")

Biggest complaint though, how the cars worked. I expected to be driving a Brick, not a slab of jelly. The cars were all way too floaty in controls.

One of the things I enjoy most about a racing game for example, is when you feel the weight of the car as the back end snaps back in after your drift.

No such luxury in gta4.

IMO, the cars performed even less realistic in gta4. They were slow, they would slam the whole shell sideways on the lightest of turns, and they handled in general like someone left air bubbles in the power steering.

As for story, its fine and all, but most of us only did the story to get to more stuff to screw around with. Once you had the airport in the desert in SA, you were set. Completing the rest after that was just because you felt close enough.