Forum brands, just don't understand...

Reenhart

I know some webmasters read these threads so, I was wondering where can I find some forums I can download for free?

When I used to webmaster my own site, Invision and Burning Board were free, they now cost money ;_; Is there some new 'brand' of forums out on the market that is just as good like these used to be? PHPBB is the only type that comes to mind but I remember not liking it very much.

I do have VBulletin but I don't want to use it illegaly so... if you guys know of any please give me a list or something so I can check them out ^^. Thanks...

PHPBB2 is a nightmare... I have it currently on my forum and if you add no mods to it or anything it's fine... but... it can get bad quickly (sometimes my forum randomly crashes or is just reallly slow). PHPBB3 is coming out eventually and that seems to have a lot of improvements though, so maybe wait for it if you can. Still... it would be brand new so it would have problems also.

SMF is pretty good but it also doesn't have a lot of things VB and IPB do, like the person above me said.

Wbblite has an old version of the RPG system we use as it hasn't been updated for wbblite and well the RPG we use was ported from wbblite. =P But there is like no skins for wbblite so you have to make your own... however skinning is very VERY very simple and easy to do on wbblite. Bad thing is wbblite hasn't had any updates in over a year or more.

Mybb last I checked had quite a few stuff for it, mostly just skins though but none that was very interesting or worth using. I don't think they have an RPG for it though. :(

SMF has alot of skins, but again they aren't very good, and I hate the fact almost all skins use text and not images for most of the stuff such as the reply, etc.. And again, there is no RPG.. Or at least wasn't when I used it a couple months back.

PHPBB is crap, but they do get updated and have a RPG.. but not sure how good their RPG is. So if you want an RPG with a free forum software you will need to use either wbblite or phpbb.

Its security is poor however. It can easily be hacked by lots of hackers.

Not hacked, cracked. Hmm, I have a very strong distaste for phpBB. One of the first forums I joined was a phpBB forum, and I never really enjoyed it much. When I learned about IPB, I never went back until around this time when vBulletin is just as good or better in all aspects save looks. IPB still looks best.