DBZ: Raging Blast 2 Not Worth Your Money?

PseudoSage

The reviews are in and they are more than disappointing for Raging Blast 2. From the scores I've seen so far it's been 2/5, 5/10, or the highest I've seen 3/5.

The reason?

Each article cited similar flaws with the game saying it was a step backwards for the series almost universally. While the new graphics and the Raging Soul system, but panned the gameplay itself. The gameplay mechanics were described as overly complicated and made certain combos perform in a less than smooth manner. The enemy AI is reportedly very difficult and cheap, the environments are bland (just rehashes of the previous games), but the biggest complaint was lack of variety.

Though touting an impressive roster most reviewers felt they all felt the same as other fighters with little gameplay differences between all of them. They said all their super attacks even start to blend together after awhile. Also, the cinematic feel of the previous games has all but been forgotten in favor of just repetitive fighting missions. The story mode is reportedly just the quick pre battle taunt, then the battle, and then the post battle taunt. Period.

I must say I'm pretty surprised by this. Raging Blast 1 wasn't a golden hit for me, but it was good. The sentiment that Tenkaichi 3 was the peak for the series seems to be alive and well. I thought Raging Blast 2 would improve upon 1, but instead it seems to just be a cosmetic facelift from the sounds of this.

To me Budokai 3 was the height of the DBZ games. I completed hated all the Tenkaichi games and I've only played Raging Blast and Raging Blast 2 via demos from the Playstation Network Shop on my PS3. I gotta say Raging Blast 2 was certainly harder to pull off techniques and stuff than Raging Blast and also every character they allowed you to play as on the demo seemed to be pretty much the same in terms of their actions. It definitely did not impress me from the demo.

I'll be sticking to my PS2 Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 for now.

Raging Blast 2, in my opinion, is better than 1 when it comes to graphics but the movement is a bit harder than the first one. If you miss a certain button in any combo the character just seems to stop. I still enjoy it though but if you asked me, I'd probably just stick with the first one for now until the price went down a bit.

EDIT: I'm sticking with Raging Blast 1 for PS3 and Tenkaichi 3 for Wii.

I've only played the demo for raging blast 2 so far, and it seemed quite fun it seemed like a game i would enjoy if not for the sole fact its DBZ, yeah i know there's a whole bunch of DBZ games out there but still, i just love playing each one. Hope they got rid of online multiplayer achievements though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...