Can you prove your own existence?

s0teric

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i exist cos if i and everyone else was just an illusion then could i actually think i am writing this and if someone is controlling me then they are writing this and if everyone can think for themselves then we are not illusions we are real

But how did you come up with that? You can't really know if you're thinking unless you prove you have a mind and you can't prove that you have a mind through thinking because if it doesn't exist whatever you come up with won't matter anyway. Until you prove you have a mind you can't formulate a rational argument to support your argument because rational arguments are all mentally based. Therefore, in order to know truth and prove your own existence there needs to be some kind of preexisting truth to build from, right? What do you guys see in that argument? Flaws? Truths? I'm interested to see what you guys come up with.

I think even if we are not real and this is just the imagination of one person, then that person has one hell of a imagination to be thinking for all of us.

the fact he has one hell of an imagination doesn't do us any good.

In fact all sciences are based on axioms. Axioms don't have to be proved. They exist to serve as the first member of a logical chain. They have no base. Now you can either choose to accept your existence as an axiom and base your further thoughts on that, or not. In the end... it doesn't change anything.

the fact he has one hell of an imagination doesn't do us any good.

In fact all sciences are based on axioms. Axioms don't have to be proved. They exist to serve as the first member of a logical chain. They have no base. Now you can either choose to accept your existence as an axiom and base your further thoughts on that, or not. In the end... it doesn't change anything.

does that mean that science is based on faith, then? If science can't even prove that we exist can it prove anything? We still have also yet to think of any situations in which we can know without presupposing our own existence :(.

The only proof that we exist is that we are alive and living.

If this world was only an illusion then we can do everything we see it fit or beneficial to each one of us, live our dreams and be someone that we always wanted to be.

my main point here is why do we need to question our existence when in fact we already DO exist and isn't it enough to be alive and living in this world.

I know it's a rhetorical question to prove one's existence but nevertheless we are alive and that's the only thing that's important right now is to BE alive.

Woah. Alright, I didn't even know I posted here until I logged in today and when I looked at the post, I shook my head. The other night I was at a friends and was under the influence of some certain substances that may have impaired my judgment. I could have had a good argument going, but looking at it the post seems no more than drunken ramblings.

Sorry all for being such a douche. I didn't even notice what I posted at the beginning until I checked my activity that said zangetsu13 replied to my comment or whatever. I'll delete those comments.

Sorry zangetsu13 as you and probably others have seem to taken offense, which I would never intend to do in a forum for intelligent discussions. I did not, to my knowledge, even read any of the other posts in the thread before posting myself and so I'm sorry. Inebriation is not an excuse for my actions, and I am sorry.

The only proof that we exist is that we are alive and living.

If this world was only an illusion then we can do everything we see it fit or beneficial to each one of us, live our dreams and be someone that we always wanted to be.

my main point here is why do we need to question our existence when in fact we already DO exist and isn't it enough to be alive and living in this world.

I know it's a rhetorical question to prove one's existence but nevertheless we are alive and that's the only thing that's important right now is to BE alive.

the complexity of an illusion doesn't prove it isn't an illusion. just because you think you exist doesn't mean you do. Unless you prove you exist you have no foundation of truth. You need to question your own existence to find the source of truth. You can't know unless you prove your existence and truth has its implications.

Sorry all for being such a douche. I didn't even notice what I posted at the beginning

you're fine ;)

I have no proof that my physical self exists, but even if this world was some illusion made for us to live in then our mental selves would certainly exist, so therefore in some way I exist.

In order for a mental self to exist, there needs to be a mind. Can you prove that exists?

I am, therefore I exist.

Be it as a person, or a page in a book, I am seen in the eyes of others.

If others can see me, that makes me an entity,and that makes me exist.

lol. What you said makes no sense. Your answer to the question can you prove your own existence is that you exist. Also that since others exist you exist? What if everything you see is an illusion? And in both statements you said something exists without any evidence. How do you know?

To exist is to believe in oneself, to believe in oneself is to live, Even if you are living in an illusion. If i am living in an Illusion, I still exist, cause i believe that I am, I see others, others see me, It is through the illusion that I exist, whether it be a image, or a name. I will always be there, now and forever. I have a name, that is what ties me to my existence. If i did not have a name would I exist? Would anyone know me? It is through my name that I truly exist. cause as long as people can say my name, I will always be there....

In order for a mental self to exist, there needs to be a mind. Can you prove that exists?

Unfortunately I cannot, but that does not mean they don't exist. And as long as I keep experience what I feel is existence than who cares? The only important this is if this existence is meaningless or not. If there is an existence after our bodies die, than our current lives are pretty meaningless because we can't take anything with us. If our existence dies with our bodies then this existence is important, because it's the only one we may ever know(Even if there is reincarnation we still won't perceive our existence the same way) therefore we should just make do with what we have and watch some Anime.!! ^_^

To exist is to believe in oneself, to believe in oneself is to live, Even if you are living in an illusion. If i am living in an Illusion, I still exist, cause i believe that I am, I see others, others see me, It is through the illusion that I exist, whether it be a image, or a name. I will always be there, now and forever. I have a name, that is what ties me to my existence. If i did not have a name would I exist? Would anyone know me? It is through my name that I truly exist. cause as long as people can say my name, I will always be there....

How can you believe you exist if you don't exist. Prove you exist first, then your argument will be valid. As for others calling you by name, prove they exist first and your argument is possible.

Unfortunately I cannot, but that does not mean they don't exist. And as long as I keep experience what I feel is existence than who cares? The only important this is if this existence is meaningless or not. If there is an existence after our bodies die, than our current lives are pretty meaningless because we can't take anything with us. If our existence dies with our bodies then this existence is important, because it's the only one we may ever know(Even if there is reincarnation we still won't perceive our existence the same way) therefore we should just make do with what we have and watch some Anime.!! ^_^

If you don't exist then none of what you're feeling exists. The best thing to do is either find a way to prove you exist, so you can enjoy those things with legitimacy, or live your life without knowing anything. If there's no way to prove it, why accept it? I hear this line of logic all too often. Also, if there is no life after death then everything you do is meaningless. You come and go and people will forget you. Your experiences were brief, fleeting, and pointless, only seeking to forget the inevitable. If there is a life after death and it is better then here, then it's the only thing that matters. Every inferior experience should be set aside for that goal.

well there are two types of existence in this day and age . . . us the materialistic things (living , non living) and the Cyber world . . . the very fact that u are here talking about the reality and illusion is proof enough that we are real . . . and as for the cyber world lets consider a file on an internet maybe a music file . . . it exists after a person uploads it however the place where it exactly exists cannot be told but still it does exist cos we download it and PERCEIVE it as music , burn it to PHYSICAL media which proves its existance ive always been fascinated with how things that are so virtual are as realistic as the matter itself ofc i dont want to be seen as deviating from the topic i can feel exactly what youre asking but what youre asking is a proof to prove reality and REALITY cannot be proved by theories it has to be felt . . . cheers