Stop the Internet Blacklist!

cloud1414

*Just saw this on demonoid*

Stop the Internet Blacklist!

Just the other day, President Obama urged other countries to stop censoring the Internet. But now the United States Congress is trying to censor the Internet here at home. A new bill being debated this week would have the Attorney General create an Internet blacklist of sites that US Internet providers would be required to block.

This is the kind of heavy-handed censorship you'd expect from a dictatorship, where one man can decide what web sites you're not allowed to visit. But the Senate Judiciary Committee is expected to pass the bill this week -- and Senators say they haven't heard much in the way of objections! That's why we need you to sign our urgent petition to Congress demanding they oppose the Internet blacklist.

PETITION TO THE SENATE: Censoring the Internet is something we'd expect from China or Iran, not the U.S. Senate. You need to stop this Internet blacklist in its tracks and oppose S. 3804.

Add your name and we'll deliver your message to Washington.

Read more about the bill: COICA Fact Sheet.

"We all use the web now for all kinds of parts our lives, some trivial, some critical to our life as part of a social world," says Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the Web. "In the spirit going back to Magna Carta, we require a principle that: No person or organization shall be deprived of their ability to connect to others at will without due process of law, with the presumption of innocence until found guilty. Neither governments nor corporations should be allowed to use disconnection from the Internet as a way of arbitrarily furthering their own aims."

Source: http://demandprogress.org/blacklist/

I don't see where it says how many have signed.. anyways I have signed it.

Anyways this is pretty much about the same thing I posted already.. :/

I also signed the petition for my mom, my two sisters, my dad, my gma, and my uncle. xD

So that is 7 more signs.

and I agreed to post it on my Facebook.

Well it says on the bottom right hand side of the page over 50000 have signed. I already posted it on my facebook also, Im going to spread this over big torrent sites like bakabt, nyaa, piratebay, and many more to let other people know about.

Update, from EFF's website: the Senate Judiciary Committee postponed the scheduled markup of the Internet censorship bill — a fantastic outcome, given that the entertainment industry and their allies in Congress had hoped this bill would be quickly approved before the Senators went home for the October recess. Massive thanks to all who used the EFF Action Center to write to your Senators to oppose this bill.

Yep, Barry is up to is tricks again...doublespeak comes to mind. Mr. NSA Puppet is the true danger to our freedoms. Fortunately, some countries are declaring themselves as "Free Internet Zones" (Iceland, being the last, comes to mind), so Servers can be safely(?) transferred there.

Internet should be entirely free, for every form of expression...even the ones many of us find repulsive, dangerous or illegal.

It is the Nation-State that is the Enemy of the individual, not Freedom.

You know the direction our congress is trying to go reminds me of the 2005 movie: V For Vendetta.

I think the government is trying too hard to make rules for the Grey areas of every ones actions and it will only lead to the further separation between the Government and the it's people. I think they are panicking that if they don't have their hands in/on everything of our lives everything will fall apart. If history has shown us anything I think our (USA) government needs to take a deep breath and let it's people figure out how to deal with one problem at a time about whats wrong with the internet and trust it's people to do the right thing. Worrying about along the lines of copy right issues to sites that sell things that can kill people shouldn't not be put in the same category. The bill for this sort of thing needs to be very individual and separate, not one big bill that just put everything in one pile and goes, "ok thats applies to everything, we're done, whats next?"

Anyway, I signed it too, and I hope the President does something bout this, he goes on about how China shouldn't restrict the internet, yet he doesn't care about his own peoples rights?!

sorry for the rant I really don't know where that all came from, lol.

While I don't agree with with censoring the internet... Is it certain that we /can/ trust everyone in the US? Not trying to be a paranoid conspiracy theorist or anything, but I'm certain that the internet is used for many things more negative than anyone regularly thinks about.

On that note, I didn't vote for him. Just remember if you did, this is what you voted for. Go change!