Forum Software Updates & Nifty Things

Koby

Well it's that time again when some pretty big software updates are handled. Lets just say this is just the first in the line of updates we have planned and I know we've promised a lot in the past and fallen through on upholding ourselves to that, and a lot of that is simply due to various deeper emotions I'd rather not go into details about like this. So anyways lets just move on with a small list of changes you may or may not be able to notice:

Updates Status GIF by Originals

• Animated GIFs (as seen above!) handled through Giphy now has a toolbar button in posts for ease of use.
  • Improved pagination with page number now in path (rather than query string) and unique page titles for paginated pages.
  • Improved default profile photos to use inline SVGs rather than generated images, which will speed up page rendering.
  • Optimized images to reduce file size for faster page rendering.
  • Added less intrusive browser notification prompt in Notifications menu.
  • Removed Gravatar support due to privacy concerns and performance issues.
  • Numerous bug fixes.

Because of the Invision Power Suite updates our past themes are no longer compatible without re-purchasing the subscription renewal (expires every 6 months) for each individual theme at $10 each... and thus in an effort to reduce costs of maintenance we've opted to simply not include the additional themes at this time. This includes the Carbon, Brave, Subway, and Uniform themes. However if you wish for one of the prior themes to return, we're willing to re-add them provided the $10 subscription renewal fee is provided. Contact me via PM if that is your desire.

Some background processes are still being ran such as rebuilding search engine cache, removing orphaned posts and statistics that go with them, etc... Expect those to be completed within the day.

I hope to actually not be too lazy to start implementing some of the stuff I've discussed prior fairly soon, so keep an eye out.

• Like 4

• Koby changed the title to Forum Software Updates & Nifty Things

Another big reason our initial plans fell through is mainly due to my own schedule and life crises. I've transitioned to full-time work 40 hours a week, and that just hasn't left me the sort of time I'd like to have to do things for the site.

But never fear, I still fully intend to follow through, I just have to find some good, decent, solid time to do it. It'll come eventually but I'm not giving up on things here and I've zero intent to do so in the future. That, I promise.

• Thanks 1

I've modified the portal page. Removed posters' avatar from the news post, increased text size because it was so tiny you almost had to squint to read it, and redesigned the content box to actually fit with the theme as the default portal code was pretty much a mess in terms of style as the header/title bar was outside of the box just laying on top of it. Now it's consistent with the styling from the rest of the board. Also fixed the margins on the sidebar so that there wasn't a 15px gap at the top that made it uneven with the news postings. I think it looks much more aesthetically pleasing. Now if only the portal had some sort of proper categorizations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, DarkRavie said:

What does that mean?  I don't quite understand the (increase post count) part.  WIll that affect my posting?  

Previously post count did not increase in the Forum Games board, now it does.

So when you make a new post there, the counter under your display picture will increase. Currently says 100 posts.

Having higher post count will increase your user title rank (the little pips/stars under your usertitle) and if you're using the default usertitles, it'll change as you rank up. Currently you have 3 pips and the usertitle of Moppet.

I plan to implement some more changes to user ranks, which will offer some actual benefits of ranking up at some point.

• Like 1