Sword Art Online returns to Toonami for Project Alicization

Krieg

50428376_2077733239184179_38006299433484

In a move that many fans anticipated since season 2’s end and a moment that perhaps comes at no surprise outside of those who wanted Netflix and Hulu to take the premiere rights away from Toonami, Toonami and Aniplex have announced that the highly successful Sword Art Online franchise will be making its return to the better cartoon show for its highly anticipated third season in Project Alicization.

Season 3 will make its debut on February 9 at 12:30 am Eastern/Pacific, taking over Mob Psycho 100 on the schedule as the second season’s dub is not ready for release as of now. As the first episode is an hour’s length, Megalo Box will have the night off to make way.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lucaslink2 said:

I thought it would have been later after it completely aired.

SAO3 is going to be 4 cour, which means somewhere around 48 to 53 episodes unless they change their mind as things go on. Also it's rumored to be taking a season break after the second cour. Anyhow, by the time it starts broadcasting on Toonami it'll be like 18 episodes behind the Japanese broadcast and I'm sure it's likely going to go on break after it hits the end of the second cour as well. So we're still more than a year away from seeing it completed. My estimate is that Toonami's broadcast won't be completed until late Fall 2020.

On 1/25/2019 at 2:51 PM, RyanEsau said:

I figured the same. Since I believe I remember waiting like a year for SAO II Dub.

Glad to see it's coming sooner than later. Definitely going to be watching week to week.

My exact same thoughts but I agree I rather it happens sooner than later and I hope to watch it week to week too.

On 1/25/2019 at 2:02 PM, Koby said:

SAO3 is going to be 4 cour, which means somewhere around 48 to 53 episodes unless they change their mind as things go on. Also it's rumored to be taking a season break after the second cour. Anyhow, by the time it starts broadcasting on Toonami it'll be like 18 episodes behind the Japanese broadcast and I'm sure it's likely going to go on break after it hits the end of the second cour as well. So we're still more than a year away from seeing it completed. My estimate is that Toonami's broadcast won't be completed until late Fall 2020.

Really!?!? around 50 episodes? That's insane you just blown my mind. Does Alicization cover that many volumes in the light novels?

3 hours ago, lucaslink2 said:

Really!?!? around 50 episodes? That's insane you just blown my mind. Does Alicization cover that many volumes in the light novels?

Yes Alicization is like 10 novels long or something. The first two anime series covered like 9 novels iirc. Someone can correct me.

2 hours ago, Koby said:

Yes Alicization is like 10 novels long or something. The first two anime series covered like 9 novels iirc. Someone can correct me.

Almost on mark I just checked, Volumes 9-20 are covered in the Alicization arc. That would put them almost caught up with the light novels for a total of 25 volumes.

3 hours ago, Koby said:

Doesn't Toonami stuff still get streamed on Adult Swim's or Cartoon Networks website?

Though... I think you have to have a TV subscription to login, rather than them letting you subscribe separately?

Adult Swim.

You need a TV/Cable Login for the newest episodes. I think after like 2 weeks, a episode goes free.

For series on the longer side (Like 20 episodes and more), they don't hold all the episodes forever though.

They tend to hold about up to 12 episodes for 1 specific season, and the oldest in the link gets recycled on out when the 13th in the link hits.

You can also catch Toonami's Sneak Peeks for anime on Adult Swim site. But, they go up same day/night on Toonami Facebook and Monday Morning/Afternoon (usually) on Adult Swim.

They use to be 30 second clips but they reduced to them 15 seconds back in November I believe, which is unfortunate but oh well.