Best Dragon Ball Z Encodes

aakash01manu

Unfortunately the series is so long that all the "great" encoders don't even bother.

There is literally dozens, if not hundreds of releases of DBZ from literally dozens of different sources cause they keep re-releasing different sets.

Everyone has their own opinion on what should be included in a release. Some want to go with FUNi audio, some want Ocean audio, some want both, some want broadcast audio, some want the original audio, etc.

A lot of encoders either just run it through Handbrake with pisspoor settings or they royally fuck it up with terrible avisynth filtering scripts adjusting saturation, contrast, and denoising it to death.

IMO, the level sets were about as perfect as it was gonna get, but they discontinued that after 34 episodes. They continued with a cropped set, and while it did mostly (MOSTLY) retain the quality of the level sets, it was cropped and therefore doomed from the start.

Anime-Supreme's encodes are garbage, over compressed, blurred, smudged, encodes.

DorianHD loses detail, doesn't fully retain the film grain, etc... but overall I suppose decent enough for what you'd expect from anyone willing to put in any kind of work on nearly 300 episodes.

• Like 1

How do the level sets compare to the japanese Dragon Boxes? Also is Winxbloom's release worth downloading to replace the R2J Dragon Box isos I have for the broadcast audio alone? I would prefer an encode too but I dont want to lose too much grain or detail.

Figured this was the place to ask haha

7 minutes ago, SSJLuffy said:

How do the level sets compare to the japanese Dragon Boxes? Also is Winxbloom's release worth downloading to replace the R2J Dragon Box isos I have for the broadcast audio alone? I would prefer an encode too but I dont want to lose too much grain or detail.

Figured this was the place to ask haha

https://mega.nz/#!7A8hEKgB!ifuwVXRWJAyUg0OsPV81IwbIDWTPwt4c-AtIUJs8JEY - Few quick screenshots for you.

https://nyaa.si/view/1054232 - Level Set from iKaos (DBZ Season 1)

1 hour ago, RyanEsau said:

https://mega.nz/#!7A8hEKgB!ifuwVXRWJAyUg0OsPV81IwbIDWTPwt4c-AtIUJs8JEY - Few quick screenshots for you.

https://nyaa.si/view/1054232 - Level Set from iKaos (DBZ Season 1)

It does look good but it's kinda weird going from the Japanese DBoxes to that and then back to the DBoxes afterwards in a future re-watch, that is. 

Edited by SSJLuffy

52 minutes ago, Koby said:

You mean 4:3?

I consider 1440x1080 16:9. Whichever though. 4:3, 16:9. Proper release/remaster either way.

Just hoping to see them give the rest of the series the same treatment eventually. It's been almost 7 years since but... still hope... maybe >_>

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/home-video/na/dbz-tv/

Plan to start collecting DB series soon but still haven't really decided what to get in terms of DBZ.

• Confused 1

On 10/15/2018 at 12:30 AM, Koby said:

1920x1080 is 16:9

1440x1080 is 4:3

That's true from a square pixel perspective...but that being said, there are videos that are 1440x1080 that have a display aspect ratio of 16:9 and vice versa (though the former is far more common than the latter).
As for the aspect ratio of the Level sets, it's 4:3 pillarboxed in 16:9.

On 10/14/2018 at 7:54 PM, SSJLuffy said:

I'll include Kai 1.0 in this comparison as well. The Japanese Dragon Boxes have the best overall detail. The Level Blu-Rays are the most HD release, with more detail than other releases in most areas...but suffer from crushed blacks (though this is more of an issue with the first couple episodes than the rest of them). Kai 1.0 has the best light/dark detail, but suffers from the redrawn shots and is blurred.

The three releases each have advantages and disadvantages. However, if the rumored new Toei remaster of Z exists and will come out, the Dragon Box footage and the Levels footage will be equally irrelevant. 

On 10/14/2018 at 9:46 AM, Koby said:

IMO, the level sets were about as perfect as it was gonna get, but they discontinued that after 34 episodes. They continued with a cropped set, and while it did mostly (MOSTLY) retain the quality of the level sets, it was cropped and therefore doomed from the start.

No, they don't "mostly retain the quality of the level sets". While I'll admit that the first three and a half Season Blu-rays look better than their respective Orange Bricks because they don't have the latter's overbrightness and line erasure issues, starting with about the second half of season 4 the Orange Bricks end up with more or less the same amount of detail as the Season Blu-rays... but without the downsides of extreme line smudging. Granted, both the OB and the Season Blu-ray's such for various reasons (like the 16:9) crop, but if you have to buy new-ish English DBZ on the cheap, the Season Blu-Rays are better for the first half of episodes, and the OB's better for the second half.

On 10/14/2018 at 9:46 AM, Koby said:

DorianHD loses detail, doesn't fully retain the film grain, etc... but overall I suppose decent enough for what you'd expect from anyone willing to put in any kind of work on nearly 300 episodes.

Didn't the Season Blu-rays (the 16:9 ones) not have grain to begin with? So I think the detail loss you refer to may have come from FUNimation.

• 2 weeks later...